“Not 5 Star - almost there”
Review of Kimpton EPIC Hotel

Kimpton EPIC Hotel
Ranked #14 of 122 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Not 5 Star - almost there”
Reviewed 19 December 2009

We stayed for one night. We arrived and no one took our bags, got to reception and we were given the room key but not shown to our room, had to find it ourself. The room was fantastic on the 28th floor with a sea view. Beautiful bathroom. The decor was lovely and the bed was blissfully comfortable. The downside is the noisy bar on the ground floor.. there was a party on and it was full of drunk 20somethings, we saw a girl being wheeled out by security as she was too drunk to walk. Got in the lift and there was sick on the floor. I alerted the desk to it but it didnt get cleaned up immediately. We were very upset. The pool and restaurant on the 16th floor has amazing views friendly staff, but the food is not exactly gourmet. We had to wait a long time for them to sort out our food bill. After this experience we decided to have lunch at the Mandarin Oriental instead which is a class apart. The EPIC did give us a refund on our food and bar bill and allowed us a very late check out due to us complaining about the party - this was a very good gesture. The hotel itself is an amazing building, but it lacks the wow factor in terms of attention to smaller details and exceptional service. If it can correct this it can truly deserve to be a five star hotel. I really like this hotel and want it to be exceptional.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2009
SteveTrips:
Thank you for taking the time to write your contribution. Thank you for mentioning the friendly staff by the pool and the amazing views. We will be discussing your concerns to assist with establishing ourselves as the premier 5 star property in downtown.
Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
orlando, fl
Reviewed 18 December 2009

I arrived in this hotel and there was a girl named Belen Mejia who approached me first. While my partner was fixing our luggage, i noticed that this girl starring at me with a bad attitude looks. I was wondering what was her problem for her to look at me like that. But as a professional, I did not say anyhting at all. When I started to talk to her, the way she answered me was inappropriate manner. I felt like she disrespect me in front of my partner. My partner wants to tell the front manager but I told him not to. But i realized that we should've done that. I had been customer in this hotel and I never had bad any experience not until this last visit. Everything was still ok and good in terms of the cleanliness and other services except from that girl. Hope the officers in this hotel would be aware from their worker's attitude.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
dfajardo:
Thank you for your contribution. Thank you for mentioning that other services and cleanliness were good. We apologize for the incident and implore you to believe that this incident does not reflect the level of service we believe our guests deserve. Thank you for the contribution and we look forward to your return.
Atlanta, Ga.
Reviewed 17 December 2009

We stayed at the Epic for 8 nights over Thanksgiving and could not have been happier with our choice. I grew up in Miami and go back every year to visit. Hospitality service can be down right indifferent, if not surly in Miami hotels and restaurants. I am used to that, even at expensive, top rated places.
So, we were continually thrilled with the friendliness and service we received throughout the hotel: the car attendants, front desk, general and housekeeping staff and particularly the restaurant. By the way, the breakfast is nice, lunch delicious and dinner at Area 31 wonderful. Some of the best prepared fish I have had in years. Look for the private dining rooms overlooking the Miami River. Also, the River Bar in the lobby is right on the water and a hot place on weekend nights.
The rooms are stylish, well thought out and fairly large. Computers and flat screen TVs in each room and free internet access was available. The only thing you may not care for is the glassless, open window space between the bedroom and bathroom. While there is a heavy Roman shade to roll-down, noise from the bathroom for a sleeping guest may be off-putting to some.
Still, the views of the bay are nice, the pool, a beautiful edgeless place in the sun overlooking the bay, and good rates can be had for those who look and plan ahead. I will be back there for my next visit, and know they will re-open as good as ever, if not better. Well located, even though downtown, with great access to other areas: Miami Beach or Key Biscayne:10 minutes, Coral Gables 15 -20 minutes, airport:15 -20 minutes, depending on traffic, which feels like rush hour most of the time in Miami.
Note: valet parking is pretty much necessary if you have a car, as it is downtown and other parking options are at least a few blocks away and have restrictions. Parking was about $32/night OUCH!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
ButImRight:
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful contribution. Thank you also for mentioning the friendly service and stylish decor. We look forward to you returning to EPIC next year for your annual stay in Miami.
Zürich
Reviewed 17 December 2009

We stayed here on our last night before flying home and for this it was a perfect option. Location... eeehhh...but it all depends what you are here for an for how long. Downtown like in many US cities is a bit depressing. You can however walk down by the water and there is a shopping centre nearby but it is a few hours distraction, nothing more. It is close to the Historical Museum and Art Museum so for an overnight stay, there was enough to keep us busy. As detailed by others, the rooms are great. I just loved the balcony and the views are fantastic. Service also very good. Free internet in room (always a bonus for us Europeans who are not used of this). Valet parking was about 30 dollars if I remember correctly and on a small sample (having only got the car out once), it was a little slow.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2009
Tagesthemen:
Thank you for taking the time to write your contribution. We appreciate that you mentioned the very good service and great rooms. We will address your concerns with the speed of service of our valet.
We look forward to your return during you next visit to Miami.

Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 December 2009

I stayed at the Epic Hotel for 2 nights in October. When you walk in the front door, you are greeted by staff immediately and made to feel right at home. I got in early, but my room was already ready for me. The rooms are a great size, love the glass shower and separate tub. Very spacious bathroom and plenty of counter space. The beds are super comfy and every room has a balcony! And the views are amazing! Every room also has a computer! Can you believe it! I was able to surf around and find a few different restaurants for lunch and dinner.

On the first night, we ate at the hotel. They have a great terrace up on the 16th floor. The menu is priced decent and the food was amazing! On the second day, we had breakfast at the restaurant and then spent the day at the pool. We had lunch poolside at our cabana...the food was amazing again...you definitely don't sacrifice quality for eating at the pool. The pool staff are fantastic, offering fresh water frequently and sun block if needed.

For dinner, I called down to the concierge and they made a reservation for us down on South Beach, called a taxi for us, and sent a confirmation up to the room. The staff are amazing. On the third day, we asked for a late checkout (granted) and spent the day at the pool again! Another poolside lunch (delicious again) and then off to the airport.

I would stay here again and again. By far, the best hotel and best staff I've experienced in the area!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2009
hawkeye0905:
Thank you for taking the time to write an absolutely amazing contribution. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the service was amazing. We look forward to your return.
Washington DC
Reviewed 14 December 2009

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. I stayed for 5 nights on business and had a very unpleasant experience.

During our stay, I (and several colleagues) experienced problems with bites/rashes. My problem was so severe that I had to seek medical treatment when I got home. The doctor diagnosed the problem as bed bugs or Scabies and told me to contact the hotel. When I did so, I found the staff to be very unhelpful, evasive and hard to deal with. I’m disgusted with the experience I had of staying at this hotel and the subsequent level of customer service I received. I feel extremely let-down and will not be staying at a Kimpton hotel ever again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank rodders_9
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at Kimpton EPIC Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2009
rodders_9:
Thank you for staying with us and for your detailed experience with us. I am embarrassed by the experience and the service level that you received; let me apologize for all the opportunities which you denoted. We also appreciate you bringing the bed bug concerns to our attention all areas of your stay will be reviewed with the appropriate departments will rectify. I did leave you a reply and would be interested in hearing about your experience in detail if you have a moment to discuss. Again my sincerest apologies and please contact me to make this experience right for you.
Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to communicating w/ you again in the near future.

Little Rock, AR
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Fantastic stay at the Epic. Nice sized room with two double beds, balcony, and great bathroom (glass shower and separate tub). Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
thomasgmay:
Thank you very much for the fabulous and concise contribution. We look forward to your return.