“simply deplorable” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #105 of 121 Hotels in Miami
New York City, New York
“simply deplorable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Our flight was cancelled so this was the only option to stay for a few hours until our flight in the early morning. The shuttle was supposed to arrive to pick us up in "5 minutes". Well, five minutes turned into 45 minutes. After calling twice we were told to "be patient". The driver was pretty rude and greeted us by pointing to the floor to lay our bags. As soon as we pulled up I knew we were in for some trouble. There were homeless people and drunks hanging out in the parking lot. The lobby itself was HORRIBLE. The man @ the front desk could see the discomfort in our faces and assured us we were in good hands. Well, when we got into the room I wanted to bust out in tears. The room had a stale smell and the carpet was moldy. Toilet and sink had stains and I didn't even bother to open the curtains to see the tub. Bed was hard as rocks. To sum it up, $60 a night was too much for this room. Its a hang out spot for the local drunks, room was gross. We were better off staying in the airport. Stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jovani T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Newfoundland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

OMG - I cannot believe how bad this hotel was. Upon entering the parking lot I got this bad feeling - while the huge sign on one side of building spoke of MAJOR renovations - I have to honestly say I have no clue what these could possible be with the condition of this hotel. When we checked in the staff was very abrupt, while we arrived early because we had just gotten off a cruise ship - I didn't expect to get checked in to a room, the lady on the desk gave me this look and looked at the time, I said I realize it's early but we just got off a cries, she responded that it was very early so I told her that we really just needed a place to store our bags so we could see some of Miami Beach and South Beach - Then she checked the system and we were "lucky" that they actually had a room clean at that time. We were told it had a view of the pool so I started to think maybe it's not so bad. WRONG. Our room was on the 3rd floor, the elevator was disgusting, but the stairwell was worse. Once on the 3rd floor we quickly realized that this note is directly next to a major highway and the sound of the traffic was quite loud - then we look down at the pool - it was disgusting, very dirty and is NOTHING like the "professional" pictures you see posted on here. You could not pay me to step into the pool area let alone use the pool. Then when we opened our room door the stench of mold and mildew was overpowering. We felt like we stepped back to the 70"s, the bedding was VERY dated, the carpet was dingy and I would not walk barefoot. There was evidence of mold but it had been painted over. The only saving grace was that our flight left very early in the morning and we would not have to spend a lot of time in this motel from hell. While the "free" shuttle to Bayside was great - they told us they would come back to Bayside at 6:30 and that we had to call ahead to let them know we would be coming back on that shuttle. Well we called them half hour in advance and confirmed we would be at the pick up point - we waited there in the scorching heat for 45 minutes after the 6:30 pick-up time and the driver never showed up! We had to take a taxi back to the hotel. When we got back I told the guy at the front desk what had happened and he said he would pass it along! They also have shuttle service to the airport so we called from our room around 9pm to confirm that the shuttle left at 6am as our flight was at 7:45 - we were told it did. Well, we went down at 5:45 to make sure we would be ready to leave at 6:00 but found the lobby was closed and we had to wait outside (in the dark) we passed our room key in through a slot in the window where a person appeared and confirmed that the shuttle would leave at 6am. However by 6:10 there was still no one coming out to start the shuttle (which was parked in the parking lot were we had to wait). I went to the window and called out to a woman who was in there but with no lights on and asked her when we were leaving because we had a flight to catch - she just said the driver was delayed! I asked for how long and she said ABOUT 15 minutes - given our experience at Bayside earlier in the day I was starting to feel like this shuttle would not be moving and was trying to figure out how to call a cab - we didn't have a cell phone and it was still dark and we were obviously in a very "shady" area of Miami....just when we had given up the driver showed up in his car. I told him we needed to leave right away and he assured us that we would make our flight. Thank God, we did make the flight, but not with a minute to spare - we were very lucky that the line up wasn't bad.

This is the first time I have posted a negative comment on a hotel but my experience (with my daughter) at this hotel was so horrible that I felt I had to let people know. Don't be misled by the pictures the hotel has posted, I don't know when or where they were taken but they do not represent this hotel. When the taxi pulled up I actually said, you must have the wrong hotel because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Yes, this is a budget hotel but I have stayed at budget hotels before (both before and after cruises out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando) but this is the absolute worse hotel I have ever stayed in. Trust me, it's not worth the "free" shuttle to the cruise or the airport. STAY AWAY from this hotel from hell.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MameNewfoundland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Had I seen the reviews for this motel, would have never booked. The pictures must have been from years ago or another motel. As soon as we went into the lobby I knew we were in trouble. Got the room, walked in and can't describe the carpet. Used toilet facilities, but noticed the sink had sticky stuff on it and not dusted for a period of time. Went back to desk, and got another room, little cleaner, but the beds were so uncomfortable was hard to sleep. Was scared to take a shower, as the brackets holding the rod were barely in the wall, if pulled on shower curtain was sure it would fall. Over all this building should be torn down, and disappointed that the Bascum Palmer Institute, even has this motel listed on it's referrence sheet for motels. They must not have checked out this motel lately. It's time for one of "Obama's drones" to make a strike. Could not wait to check out. In my 68 years, this has to be the worse ever motel that I have stayed in. As far as clicking to rate, almost feel like not checking any of them.

Room Tip: Simply don' book.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank luckyleo45
Jonesborough, Tennessee, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

This hotel DID NOT have a multi million dollar renovation!! We are just thankful to be alive! The only positive was that they provided free shuttle to and from the Miami port and we parked our car at the hotel for free. However, we weren't sure what condition the car world be in on our return. ROUGH doesn't begin to describe this hotel. The carpet was so filthy that we would not take our shoes off. We slept in our clothes on top of the bedspread. (Luckily we had our own blankets and pillows) We wore flip flops in the shower and couldn't reach the outlet to charge our phones because it was at the ceiling. The police sirens screamed all night long and the shuttle driver said we could brag about staying at a place where they had filmed an episode of "The First 48!" Not kidding!!! Run away, run away FAST!!!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Prissy T
Jersey City, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

It's a clean room, comfy bed, friendly staff, priced right but could be better. location is not the airport it's civic center which means right by the hospital so you hear ambulances and police all night long, so if your a light sleeper DONT stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
Kings Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I should have known by the misspelling of the word road "Rodeway" They should simply tear this place down if you stay here you will die possibly be murdered in your sleep, I'm exaggerating actually you can't sleep here, too many crack heads living there screaming bloody murder in the middle of the night. They could possibly salvage this place by turning it into a haunted house as there was already dry blood stains scattered about our room. I don't know which was worse the black mold, the smell of the nasty greasy carpets or the gun shots ringing out at all hours of the night, either way what ever you do avoid this place like the plague!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
zephyrhills
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

went to this hotel on may 16 with my husband and my twin sons and one of their girlfriend
our room was on the 4th floor and we would never told and I didn't ask if there was an elevator because my husband can't walk stairs very well we stayed there because we were going a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas and Nassau on the 17th got to our room and there were 2 full beds and one of the beds there were holes in the blanket from smoking also there were no chair or desk in the room the good thing I can say is the bed was very comfortable and the room was very small the breakfast which was suppose to be continental was not very good

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family