“Pools in the parking lot!!”

Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Coconut Grove
Ranked #66 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The room was fine, typical of this type of hotel. The main disappointment was finding that the pools are basically in the parking lot, little to no vegetation, surrounded by buildings so as to get no sunlight and certainly not heated. So much for taking swim in Miami!

Breakfast was also typical of this type of hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank You so much for staying with us and for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations but I am so sorry that our pools fell short. We do have two pools and one may be exposed more than the other to the sun, however,I would say that they are located in courtyards of their respective buildings and not in the parking lot.

Thank You again and we certainly hope to see you on your return visit.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

This was just about perfect for me, loads of space, everything you needed and everything worked. The breakfast was good, relaxed atmosphere. Only downside was that parking was a little expensive. From now on, I will always stay at a residence inn if I can, I liked it so much.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank You so much for trying us out!! We are so pleased to hear that you liked us so much that you are now a Residence Inn convert.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed here one night after a late appointment at the UHZ doctor's office in Coral Gables. Because I had foot surgery the accessible room made it much more comfortable than a standard room. The bathroom was especially well equipped. We really appreciated being able to have something to eat for dinner without having to go back out. Nothing fancy in the evening or breakfast buffet but it was nice to have them available. The grounds of the hotel were very nice. There were tables and barbeque grills available in courtyard outside our room. The room was very clean but did have a bit of a cleaning material smell. We would have loved to have had some Febreze. The entire staff was very pleasant and efficient. We will stay here when we come back for our next doctor's visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. I hope your foot is healing nicely.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

I arrived here in november 24 around 11:30 pm. I've been to a lot of hotels and seen a lot of stuff however an abandoned hotel, that's a first.

No one was at the check in desk or any other hotel area for that matter, i even tried the abandoned radio in the desk for no effect.

After waiting for 30 mins and almost leaving to another hotel with my small kids an employee showed up in a hurry and took care of me, told me that an employee (the only one in property) was stuck in the bathroom in bad shape. The next day the manager told me that he actually was attending an emergency in one of the rooms and offered me an 80 dollars discount (i accepted). The actuall employee told me that he simply left because the other one was too late.

Tip for managers: get your story straight

That said. Rooms are outdated, with holes in the curtains, room is badly equipped when compared with other residence inns, I was told there were no baking pans, when I asked why there was an oven in the room the staff actually told me to go buy a new baking pan if I wished to use the oven. Even pointing out that I was getting there with 5 persons, only 4 towels were provided. Sofa bed was not done with bed sheets, even after I pointed out that I was arriving late. Bathrooms are really small.

Overall the worst residence inn I've been, and I visited some. Sub standard by any means.

Stayed: November 2013
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank You for your comments. I am so very sorry that there was some miscommunication at the Front Desk. There was an issue with the two changing shifts and we have addressed that going forward, however, the property was not left unattended at anytime. I also regret that you did not care for your suite. Please know that we will be renovation our Guest Suites in 2014.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I was student at Kaplan International Center and had a stay of 8 weeks at the Residence Inn. The hotel is very well located near the Marina and Coco Walk (shops, restaurants, cinema and people to meet with)
It was just perfect; Safe, clean and quiet with a nice General Manager and Staff. I strongly recommend that place where I would surely return if I have the chance to come back at Miami.

• Stayed: November 2013
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank You so much for your comments and for staying with us. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and it was our pleasure to serve you. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times since our son started attending University of Miami in 2005. We are Marriott Platinum members and always stay in a Residence Inn. The location of the hotel is walking distance to Coconut Grove and it is nice to have a full kitchen and breakfast every morning but this hotel definitely needs to be renovated.The place has gone down in the past 8 years and before parking was free now it is $20/night. Our room was filled with mixed matched old furniture, the sofa was worn and dirty, the mattress sagged in the middle and overall the place did not seem very clean. Our room faced Tigertail Road, which is a very busy and noisy street. There is a lot of truck traffic during the day and then late night partiers from the clubs in the area. Across from us there was a long row of air conditioners that were very loud and because of this we could not leave the siding door open or enjoy being out on the patio. We were told that there are plans to renovate in 2014 but we were also told that during our February visit.

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing Tigertail Road.
Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank You so much for your comments and I am so glad you are a guest who comes every year. You had commented on renovation. The hotel is under new ownership since June 2013. The previous ownership renovated the Lobby and Breakfast area in 2012 and then they had planned to renovate guest rooms in 2013 and that makes sense since they told you in February that they were going to. They then sold the hotel. We are absolutely renovating our Guest rooms in 2014 and know that you will be very pleased with the outcome. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you for years to come.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The title of the reviewis also the name of the front desk lady who checked us in. Many times as you travel to different cities the staff is indifferent and you are treated as just another customer. Not so with this lady. Carolina did everything she could to please our request for such things as a quiet room location and taking time to small talk. The location of this hotel is within a 10 minute stroll of Cocowalk which is known as a premier open-air shopping, dining and entertainment destination. Be sure to go there. The outdoor pool at the Residence has cool water but I don't believe it is heated. The rooms while somewhat dated are very comfortable, come with 2 televisions, a pull out couch-bed, computer desk, full sized refeigerator, microwave and all dishes and utensils. A no charge breakfast is also served.

Room Tip: Our qiet room was building 2 on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmartibOswego_NY
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank You so much for your comments and for staying with us. I know Carolina has read your review and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you were delighted with the service that Carolina provided.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.