I had hoped for fast and convenient shuttle pick up for my one night stay considering this is an airport property. I would have booked this last minute stay with the Marriott next door had it been available. Knowing what I know now, I'd have jumped on the Marriott shuttle since I was traveling with only a backpack and I'd have walked across the street to get here. The Marriott (also for Residence Inn and Airport Courtyard) shuttle passed by 3 times during the time I waited for the Fairfield Inn shuttle.
After 15 minutes of waiting I gave the Fairfield Inn a call. They said the shuttle passes by every 30 minutes or on demand when called so they'd send it now. Another 20 minutes went by and I called again. During the remaining 10 minute wait I decided to use my phone to see if the Marriott might be available for a last minute booking since I had until 6pm to cancel the Fairfield Inn. It was not available but there was a sudden price savings available on the Fairfield Inn. I booked it for $10 less and canceled my existing reservation. So thanks FI, my 45 minute shuttle wait saved me $10. :)
I finally arrived to the hotel (I could have gotten there sooner had I walked) and they had my updated reservation on record. I had a simple king sized room on the 5th floor with a view of the airport. It was to my liking. The room was clean although it had that deodorized smell. I liked the pantene shampoo and conditioner. The mini fridge sits right there out in the open which isn't attractive but it's a nice convenience for the leftover excellent food from Latin Cafe 2000 which is barely 2 short blocks away. You might prefer your leftovers for breakfast if the included breakfast isn't to your liking.
There was a decent selection of food for breakfast but most wasn't up to my standards. The "scrambled" eggs are the kind that are cooked to a solid from an egg product and then chopped up into pieces, not exactly scrambled. There was no plain oatmeal out, just sugar sweetened flavored oatmeal in individual packs. I probably could have asked for unflavored, but I didn't. There was also no light yogurt out, just the high sugar yogurt in the mini fridge. I do like full fat milk or half and half with my coffee. Again, this was just skim or low fat milk in the fridge or the individual non-dairy creamers. There were plenty of pastry type items, donuts, muffins, waffles. I eat mainly no sugar, no flour, but have no desire to do low fat eating so I just made do with what was there and ate the cut up fresh oranges, grapefruit and pineapple which I did like along with a sugary yogurt. I used the lowfat milk in my coffee.
This no frills hotel was quiet with a comfortable bed and clean bathroom so it served it's primary purpose for me which was a good night's sleep. The room was attractive and like new. The AC blew very cold as I like but no matter whether the fan was set to high, low, or auto, the fan cut off and on with the compressor. The room carpeting was fine but the hall had some spotty staining. It seemed clean otherwise. The swimming pool is out of service at this time, which I did not know, but had no plans to use it anyway.
The free wifi didn't seem to work after I connected with my phone so I shut off wifi and used the cellular network instead. That's fine for me with my local AT&T plan but for a tourist out of the country it could be a draw back.
If I had need to stay in the area again, I'd likely go back to the Courtyard by Marriott in Coral Gables just south about 2 miles on LeJeune Road or try the Marriott next door if it were available since I know their shuttle is on a 15 minute schedule. If I needed a quick room for the night close by the airport and this was all I could get, I wouldn't hesitate to take a cab over for the clean bed and bathroom. There really is nothing wrong with the place. It's just an average, value oriented Marriott branded property which we all know before we book it. It simply needs shuttle improvement considering the airport location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Miami International Airport is a 5-minute drive from this hotel, which has a free airport shuttle service, a fitness center, and full breakfast. Free Wi-Fi, a 32-inch flat-screen cable TV with HBO movie channels, and a desk are featured in each room at Fairfield Inn and Suites Miami Airport South. Guests will be 7 miles from the cruise ships at Port of Miami. Dolphin Mall is a 15-minute drive from the hotel, and a transportation service is available for a fee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami Airport South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami Airport South Hotel Miami
- Fairfield Inn And Suites Miami Airport South
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami Airport South Florida