“Still Lovely”

Barnacle State Historic Site
Ranked #64 of 365 things to do in Miami
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I used to be a "Grove" local, but moved to Broward in 2000. When I lived there, I visited the Barnacle often. It's been years since I have been there and I'm delighted to report that this is still a must see historic landmark if you are visiting Coconut Grove. The property is perfectly maintained and I loved the recent addition of the gift shop. We arrived too late for a tour, but there are so many stories to be told about Commodore Munroe and this property, it's worth taking, just to hear about the amazing history. Katrina, welcomed us at the gift shop and gave us all kinds of updates on current events and celebrations at the park. Local or not, the Barnacle will take you back in time. If you are a local, you may want to have a talk with your city commissioners about the homeless encampment at the gate. It's not particularly welcoming to tourists.

1  Thank Dawn-ohbehave
"biscayne bay"
in 13 reviews
"hardwood hammock"
in 4 reviews
"nice view of the water"
"step back in time"
"gift shop"
in 14 reviews
in 48 reviews

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Spending a holiday in Miami and staying in Coconut Grove, we found this lovely place. Passed the entrance while walking home from a restaurant and read about it, so went the next morning. Lush vegetation as you walk down to the main house, lots of little lizards scuttling about, some beautiful trees to be seen. The house tours were not available on our visit, but did not matter. Passing the house, the grounds lead down to the sea. Moored on a small pontoon is the lovely little yacht Egret, which is a copy of a yacht designed by Ralph Munroe, who's property and land this once was. We sat on a bench and enjoyed the cool sea air and loved it all, so relaxing. Went back up to the house and sat on the rocking chairs, could have stayed there all day. There is information about the house and Munroe, who was a prolific figure in Coconut Grove, and indeed a leading yacht designer and founder of a major yacht club. Have researched more since getting home and is all very interesting, especially if you are a boat lover. Many events take place here , including concerts, yoga sessions and it can be hired for private occasions. We were so glad that we didn't miss out on this lovely place. Don't forget to put your entrance fee in the honesty box, a real bargain at 2$ per person.

3  Thank jane j
Reviewed 5 March 2014

It's a great evening of music and having a good time with friends. We go to almost all of the Friday night concerts.

2  Thank John B
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I went there by coincidence. I was walking around Coconut grove and I found this park that the entry was free. I said let's go! It was pretty awesome. Beautiful view! Very relaxing.

2  Thank Massiel R
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Barnacle State Part sets off of Main Avenue in the heart of Coconut Grove. A walk down the path through lush tropical vegetation leads to the old homestead of Commodore Ralph Monroe built in 1891. Commodore Monroe was a highly respected yacht designer of his time. The small estate sits on Biscayne Bay and the grounds are lovely place to walk around or sit and look out over the Bay. The house is furnished the way the Commodore would have lived in it. An interesting part of Florida history tucked off of Main Avenue!

3  Thank jeweltones