“great little hotel - priced right!”
Review of Hotel Urbano

Hotel Urbano
Ranked #60 of 125 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Lovely three story hotel reasonably priced located in downtown.

The rooms are small but well appointed.

A lovely pool with fire place and cabanas.

We had only breakfast in restaurant. It was very good, with friendly and efficient service.

The paintings decorating walls throughout hotel are great!

Room Tip: Only valet parking at a cost of $24 a day. BUT you can go in and out as many times as you wish.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tomapa
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Thanks so very much for your review - we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. Since you are a fellow Florida resident please keep an eye out for Florida REsident specials that we run through out the year!

Reviewed 5 March 2012

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of staying one night (February 17, 2012) at the Hotel Urbano. We opted to stay in Miami one night prior to the departure of our 7 day cruise from the Port of Miami.

I must tell you that the hotel representative that checked us in was extremely helpful and service oriented. We had a chance to meet the hotel shift manager, she was also extremely helpful and service oriented. As a result of a late check-in we ate that the hotel's restaurant. We again encountered yet another friendly, service oriented employee. Unfortunately I can't recall their names, I do however hope they receive the recognition they truly deserved.

Terrific hotel, very clean, highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Anthony F
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Thanks so much for your review - we very much appreciate it! Having fabulous employees is something we take very seriously and are dlighted to hear that you found them to provide you with a great level of ervice! We hope you had a nice cruise and hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Miami.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Okay here's the skinny:

I think this place has TREMENDOUS potential, but I don't think it's being run as well as it should. Nice property, great beds, friendly staff; it's just the logistics that mess this place up.

RESERVATIONS/CHECK-IN:

I made a reservation here on 1/28, after doing my homework here in the lovely TripAdvisor-land as well as Yelp. Later in the day, I saw that they had a lower special rate in celebration of their 2-yr anniversary. Made the new reservation and canceled the previous one, getting email confirmations for everything. Once I arrived at the hotel 3 weeks later, BOTH my reservations were canceled --?! The Asst. Manager had to be called in to fix the problem. After a 15-20 minute wait, he found a room. Being a former hotel employee and an avid traveler I know that when you wait for a room to become available it's either a) a room that needs housekeeping or b) a room that's been pulled from their "do not sell" repair inventory as a last resort. I believe it was the latter for us, as there were a few technical issues with our room (203), which was by the elevator and ice machine. That said, the room overall was decent.

Here's the weird thing: it's not the end of the world, but even though the manager was pleasant enough, he never apologized for the mishap with the reservation or for the wait. :(

PARKING:

Yup. As everyone complains, parking does suck. Oh well! Even though I could've paid the $30/nt parking fee, I chose the streets. I'm used to navigating for parking as an Angeleno (LA). Keep in mind there are literally only 10-12 parking spaces available around the hotel heading north and south on SW 25th Rd and 5 spots on Miami Ave., so read the signs carefully. We saw two cars getting towed during our 3-day stay. (It is odd there's so little street parking, but the neighborhood is really nice and quiet.)

I'd suggest they either reduce their fee a smidgen ($22 vs. $29) or maybe strike a deal with Miami Parking Authority for LOT #23 just a few feet away (right now I think it's registered decal-only parking). Just a thought, if the GM is reading this review. :)

AMENITIES:

Beautiful space! Great pool area; in fact, the pool area was the main reason I chose this hotel. Comfortable poolside seating in great condition, waterfall, firepit, cabana-style seating with flat-screens. Very nice!

Though we didn't eat at the restaurant, we did order food from the bar and room service. Basic food items, mostly appetizer-type dishes (calamari, flat pizza, etc.).

Rooms are tastefully decorated and fairly clean (a few noticeable scuff marks along the walls, as well as a broken bathroom door handle and minor other issues) with super comfortable bedding. Hotel has a small fitness room, but we didn't use it.

STAFF:

Super nice people! Doorman Jairo was awesome!! Thank you to Soy, the bartender, who has to multitask as bartender, waitress and room service attendant. Front Desk staff was friendly too, as well as the housekeepers. Asst. Manager Evan was a bit aloof, but polite.

OVERALL:

Like I said earlier, this place has plenty of pluses, especially its physical attributes; but for a hotel of only 60-65 rooms it should be run like a tight ship. Given they just celebrated their two year anniversary, I truly hope they'll get a better handle on things for two more years. All said, I enjoyed my visit to Miami and will def. consider returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ManndrakeLA

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel - we appreciate it. I am happy to hear that overall you enjoyed yoru visit with us and found our staff to be accomodating and pleasant. I am passing along this review and your suggestions to our General Manager, Donna, - also, please feel free to reach out directly if you'd prefer. dcandreva@hotelurbano.com. Thanks again and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 February 2012

This hotel is conveniently located in Miami's financial district. The rooms look like they were recently renewed and they look nice. Staff is very nice and the cost per night is just great for Miami.

• Stayed: December 2011

Thanks so much for your review - we hope to continue to welcome you back when you are in Miami for business!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is my third time that I have stayed at Urbano. My welcome has always been friendly, never a glitch and the rooms have always been quite nice. Housekeeping, very good, same person all three visits, they remembered me as well. The restaurant has a limited menu, yet is so convenient and the chef is accommodating and talented. The entire staff is extremely courteous, friendly, and professional. The location is fantastic for my situation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for choosing our artsy boutique hotel for your stays in Miami! We are honored to have you and hope you welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 5 February 2012

Do not book a block of rooms with them. I was booking a block of rooms and they promised something they could not fulfill. This might not have been so bad if I had found that out quickly, but the woman was so hard to reach (and made it very clear she would not call outside of business hours) it took over two months before I realized she could not fulfill what she had promised. In the end, neither she or her manager sincerely apologized or offered anything to make up for it. Fortunately I found a nice nearby hotel who could follow through on their word.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank eme12
Urbano33129, General Manager at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

It was brought to my attention that you had spoken several times with both our Director of Sales as well as our Catering Coordinator, and we sincerely apologize that we were not able to accomodate your request of blocking our entire hotel for your wedidng.

We wish you all the best for your upcoming wedding.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

First, some context: I use TripAdvisor about twice a year to plan family vacations, once in the summer, once in the winter; as I have always stayed in highly rated properties, I haven’t written a review for a couple of years, having had nothing insightful to add to the raves and thus succumbing to laziness. However, I feel compelled to detail our recent experiences at the Hotel Urbano, as it the first time I have been dissatisfied with a property for which the consensus view appeared so positive.

Our family of four adults stayed at Hotel Urbano for two one-night visits. I chose this hotel because the negative comments on this site were mostly about things that did not concern me (such as the high cost of valet parking) and the positives were persuasive.

The first visit, we had connecting rooms. One room, 214, was very good; the other, 215, turned out to have a nonfunctional toilet, poor water pressure in the shower and a general air of neglect. Both rooms were quite quiet despite being eye level with I-95 (the “city view”), and had excellent beds; so we were content to share the toilet in room 214 and we managed just fine for the night. We decided to return for the second stay, assuming the inadequacy of room 215 was a fluke. An apologetic manager gave us vouchers for a free breakfast for that return stay as well, a level of service that also reassured us that all would be well.

Unfortunately, for our second stay, we found both rooms 301 and 303 to be sub-par because of a throbbing mechanical noise. I see now that one other review has already noted this problem for room 301; similar noise was also audible in room 303, room 325 (which was offered to me as a potential switch), and also apparently in 302, as the occupant of that room came into ours to ask if we had a noise problem. It may be that sort of noise would not bother some people, but I could not get used to it and could not sleep. The water pressure in both 301 and 303 was inadequate, too. Very disappointing.

I am sorry to have to give this hotel a poor rating, because the staff members were very nice, the beds are really comfortable, and the location is very convenient; if all rooms had been like 214, the venue would represent good value. But one room out of four being good is not good enough for anything better than “poor”.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank aNYCmember

Thanks so much for your review - I appreciate the time you took to share your experiences. Allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your rooms, as you mentioned this is certianly not the norm for the quality of our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I am glad that you found our location to be great and our staff friendly. We hope that if your travels bring you back to Miami we will have the opportunity to serve you again.