“Surpassed our expectations”

Ranked #54 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Brandon, Florida
“Surpassed our expectations”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I just got back from a weekend in Miami and stay at Hotel Urbano. We are in our early 30s, no kids, and drove to Miami from our home in Florida. We have travelled to Miami a few times in the past year, staying at hotels near South Beach each time. This time, we had a different agenda for the trip and I decided to book a hotel closer to Coral Gables, where we wanted to spend some time.

Based on other reviews of Hotel Urbano, I thought it would be an okay hotel and we'd have a pleasant stay. I am pleased to say that our expectations were surpassed in every way. Here's a breakdown:

Location: the hotel is super easy to get to as it is close to I-95, but we didn't feel like we were staying in a hotel right next to the highway. We had a pool view room with a balcony and also spent a lot of time by the pool, yet I never heard noise from the highway. The hotel is also around the corner from the entrance/toll plaza to Key Biscayne, which is super convenient for a beach or dinner excursion.

Parking: I read a lot of Trip Advisor reviews from people complaining about parking at Hotel Urbano. Yes, the hotel has a lot reserved for valet only, and yes the valet costs $20-$24 per day, however this is not usual for Miami. We were pleased that our car was so close and in a secure lot that we could actually see (from the pool area). The price for valet was what we pay to stay at hotels in Boston and cities in Europe. I like to save money whenever I can, but parking in Miami is going to cost you wherever you go, so why not right in your backyard? People need to give this hotel a break.

Room: Our pool view room was super clean, had a king size bed, spacious, modern bathroom with newly tiled shower and good water pressure. The slider to the balcony kept out noise from the pool, and we had a newer flatscreen TV. Oh! And there were several different pillows on the bed, giving us the option to choose our favorite.

Service: We were so thrilled with the service we received. We have had sub-par service in Miami, but not at Hotel Urbano. There was always plenty of staff on hand, someone was always sweeping the floor or vacuuming or cleaning the tables. The service was prompt and staff always let us know that they would be right with us if they couldn't get to us immediately. Someone was always available to make you a drink at the bar or a meal. We didn't know they would provide poolside service, but they did and we enjoyed a nice lunch in the shade by the pool.

Food: The food was really good! We had two breakfasts and a lunch and all of it was made fresh and was great! The menu is smaller, which is just right for this size hotel, but there is something for everyone.

Other amenities: the pool and pool area was great. There were plenty of lounge chairs, tables, umbrellas, and cabanas. There was a TV in one of the cabanas outside and large outdoor couches; we were able to watch a tennis match on tv while still lounging in our bathing suits. The gym had some cardio equipment and some hand weights, which was just enough for a 'vacation workout'. The fire pit by the pool was a nice touch in the evening. Pool towels were provided without a problem. The decor is fantastic, from the floors to the unique artwork on the wall to the natural sunlight that pours into the main lobby area.

We will definitely be staying at Hotel Urbano again the future!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicb513
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thanks so much for the fantastic review! We're glad you decided for a different type of Miami visit this time and loved it! Please feel free to reach out to us directly next time you are planning a Miami trip... sales@hotelurbanomiami.com we'd be happy to help!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
New Jersey
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Wife and I stayed here two nights (4/30/14 and 5/1/14) enroute to Key West. We were not disappointed with our selection - which was based on other TripAdvisor reviews. Parking fee was steep, but the hotel has Miami charm and was clean. Hotel staff were pleasant and friendly. Although the hotel is not adjacent to a beach or any notable attractions, we were only a short drive to beaches and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JerseyShoreCouple_10
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thanks so much for the kind words - we're glad you chose to stay with us en route to Key West!
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel is visually stimulating. Small, clean, very Miami. The vibrate artwork hung throughout the hotel is beautiful. The pool area is what you think of Miami Beach with cabanas, lounges, a south beach elegance. But you pay for it... and my opinion, you're paying for the visual. The room is adequate, even the king room is a little cramp. Bathroom is simple and clean, although I had a "friend." Room 121, we were informed that the gurgling sound coming from the toilet is common when the washing machines are being run. The road ways surrounding are not pedestrian friendly, location is not a simple walk from anything special and learning the roadways surrounding can be daunting. Good job for previous posters who were able to navigate and find free parking in the vicinity because the price for valet parking... it's a little hard to swallow. It is a beautifully stimulating hotel, but I failed to receive that "ooh" and "ahh" and "that was worth it" feeling after our overnight stay. :(

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us - we appreciate your comments and feedback. We're glad you enjoyed our little art boutique hotel and hope to welcome you back again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed for one night on a recent business trip and found it to be much better than my previous stays in Miami. Room was nice and comfortable. Staff was very pleasant. The pool looked nice, but I didn't get a chance to enjoy it. Parking is quite steep at almost $30/night (taxes and fees included) but there seemed to be lots of street parking nearby. Convenient and safe location. I walked about 30 minutes through nice residential streets to a strip of restaurants that were well off of the tourist map. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thanks so much for your review - we are so happy to hear this stay in Miami was better than those before! Hopefully on your next visit you'll have a few hours to hang out poolside!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at Hotel Urbano this past week-end for two nights. I was in Miami to attend a wedding at The Miami Seaquarium. My choice of hotel was based on the Tripadvisor. I found the room very comfortable, mattress was comfortable, there was an odor???? "Moldy smell" . I did spray an air fresher which helped. I suggest ??? Plug in room fresher. The shower was very large but the floor was slippery,???? A shower mat to prevent falls or injury.
I enjoyed breakfast in your restaurant, blueberry pancakes. They were delicious. Service was quick. The entire staff was warm and friendly but professional. Juan and Katrrine was extremely helpful in giving me directions to the Dadeland Mall via Metrorail. Jarrell made arrangements with transportation (Saul).....he was always on time and transported me to Grove Isle and the Seaquarium for all my wedding function. I do recommend using Saul for all transportation needs, he charges around the same as a yellow cab , but vehicle is new , SUV clean , roomy and Saul is very professional. Jennifer (Bar) accompanied me to my room to assist with my gown for the wedding...Urbano was in a perfect location . The trolley was very convenient .... Free and comfortable.i used pit to go to Pblix and found many nice restaurants/ cafés located around the downtown area . I also took a walk to the nearby museum...Vizcaya.
You are the "hidden" treasure of Brickell.
I look forward to staying with you in the future next time my travels brings me to the Miami area. Lineve M Lewis Big Canoe Mountains, Jasper Ga

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lineve M L
Thanks so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us - we're so glad you had a great experience! Next time you are in Miami we hope to see you again!
Ashland, Virginia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

You HAVE to stay here!!! The Hotel Urbano staff members were absolutely incredible during our stay!!! We flew in from an International flight early morning, and the front desk members did everything they could to make sure that we were comfortable! The aesthetics of the hotel were absolutely great- original, funky, and most definitely "Miami"... I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2014
We appreciate your fantastic review - and hope to welcome you back again soon!
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Our room was booked for a Saturday night, post-day cruise stay and our cruise was cancelled. We decided to come anyway, and explore the area. The staff was extremely accommodating about our change in check-in time, and everything else. While they were unable to get us checked in early, they were extremely helpful and efficient when we came back after a short jaunt to Key Biscayne...we were checked in, bags and bodies in our room in no time. This hotel's staff, to a person, is exemplary, in every way.
When it came time to venture out for dinner, the very last thing we wanted to do was get in our car--we'd been up since 2 a.m. Fortunately, the wonderfully helpful valet, (and I truly wish I'd gotten his name), introduced to the free trolley system that stops right in front of the hotel. These are delightful, air-conditioned and comfortable vehicles, and we were whisked away to the nearby restaurant and entertainment district within ten minutes. We had a nice dinner, walked along the waterfront, then to the area north of Brickrell around 8th. Fun and vibrant with a tremendous variety of restaurants, clubs and shopping.
The trolley had us back home to Urbano in no time, where we spent the evening sipping stout, well-poured cocktails by the pool, enjoying a comfy cabana and then the fire pit. This is an oasis of casual but elegant relaxation. Again, the amazing staff was always available and prompt, never intrusive.
The morning revealed a pristinely clean pool area, the restaurant's coffee was excellent--the lovely woman there prepared a sublime coffee tray for two for me, and all I had asked her for was two coffees to take back to our room.
Our room, while not overly-spacious, was well-appointed and the bed was extremely comfortable. The only thing that was a tiny bit inconvenient was that there was no stand or table upon which to set our bag. Not a big deal, just nice to have.
Check-out was a breeze, and --no surprise by then--the staff was utterly amazing.
We will come back to this hotel, without a doubt. It's a gem, and remarkably convenient as well.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks so much for the kind review - we hope your cruise was great!