“Perfect Location”
Review of Hotel Urbano

Hotel Urbano
Ranked #60 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was a girl's weekend for a friend and I and we wanted to be close but not too close to downtown. It was perfect! We were able to ride the trolley for free and walk to Viscaya. This was important because even though I loved the location and the hotel the parking fee was a shock. I understand that parking is at a premium in Miami but just be prepared it is $24 + taxes. The hotel was CLEAN and modern and the beds were super comfy! The pool area was gorgeous with the water and fire features. I too took advantage of the Florida Resident's Special, check out their website for options.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the pool had great views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Moximomma
Urbano33129, Sales Manager at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for choosing Hotel Urbano for your girl's weekend! We're so glad you enjoyed our pool area and the Brickell trolley. If you find yourself in the area again please feel free to contact us directly at sales@hotelurbanomiami.com

There are newer reviews for Hotel Urbano

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hotel Urbano is a winner: Well situated downtown and near the Key Biscayne Causeway, bright and modern, small yet intimate amenities, decent bar, terrific service, reasonable price, and 2-fer in that it is not only a hotel but also a gallery for contemporary local artwork.

We paid a rock bottom, Florida resident rate for our one night stay. The room had crisp linens, and a clean bathroom. It was amusing to see the labor saving (read cost effective) details for management. e.g., Only one wastebasket, and disposable coffee cups. But there was complimentary toiletries, in-room coffee, black out drapes, and a balcony that overlooked the pool.

We enjoyed a sunset, happy hour cocktail by the amoeba shaped pool Towels are provided by the concierge at the front desk. Later that night, the fire pit provided an atmospheric place to wind down. Unlike some properties, the pool does not close. The ambiance is lovely, and well respected by the guess. The hotel surrounds the courtyard, and a decent air conditioned exercise room on the floor above the lobby also overlooks the pool area.

We had a speedy check-out, receiving a printout under the door that was very efficient. Staff was terrific and cordial. Shout out to Martine and Elizabeth for their very professional and attentive service. Because artwork is changed out several times a year, we were shown favorite and not so favorite artists. Just ask.

Mandatory valet might be annoying to some, but for $24 a night plus valet tip, there are unlimited in and out privileges. The convenience is well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for Balcony Room with pool view rather than city view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank JamieRoss
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Your lovely, detailed review of your recent stay with us made our day! We're so happy that you found our art collection to be interesting - it's great! We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We live 100 mile north of the Hotel Urbano so I am familiar with Miami and the Beach area. I have stayed at a few places in Miami and on the Beach over the years. We had a wedding ceremony almost within walking distance from the Hotel Urbano so it was suggested that we stay close by and made reservations a month in advance. I had a meeting in Coconut Grove 2 weeks before our wedding and decided to drive by the Urbano on the way to the Grove to check it out. I was not impressed by the facade that faced the street and thought that maybe I should book at the Marriot up the street as I had stayed there in the past but I was on a budget and so I stayed the course. On check-in day I called first to see if we could we check-in very early which for us was allowed. I wish I didn't have to pay for parking but it seems to be the norm everywhere but show me what I get besides a parking space. The attendants were great with excellent service from 3 different attendants over the period of my stay. They could not have been more pleasant and accommodating and I tipped them ten dollars when I left I was so satisfied as they went above and beyond just providing a parking space. So now check-in, inside the hotel is very South Beach energy. Bright, colorful, contemporary. Katrina behind the front desk was very pleasant at check-in and the 2 rooms we booked were better than I had expected. I was fully aware of how much I could have spent at larger hotels so at the price point we were at the accommodations were better than I anticipated. The room was bright, reasonable size, clean and comfortable. Now if you want the city or water view it is definitely available but for a price. I'm the type of traveler who does not spend much time in the room, but I want a clean room, big bed, nice gym, a pool, restaurant, Wi-Fi etc. and Hotel Urbano had it all. Whenever I was in contact with personal I was greeted by name, upon returning after my function I was asked all about the wedding by the staff and I realized I was getting 5 star service at a small hotel. When checking out I talked to the manager on the way down the elevator and explained I could have stayed at a larger more expensive hotel and be the small fish in a the big pond but I really felt that being in a 65 room hotel I really felt like an I was an important guest. We all know you get what you expect, here at the Urbano I did not expect much and I got way much more. I would definitely stay here again and I do recommend this hotel to those that have the right frame of mind for a small boutique hotel.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool is best if that's what you like,
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Walter G

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit such a thoughtful and kind review - we appreciate it! We agree that often times boutique hotels deliver an experience and service level that's unexpected by the guest....adding to the charm! Next time you are back in Miami please feel free to drop us a line and we will be happy to assist with your reservation sales@htoelurbanomiami.com

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I booked this hotel in August based upon the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and I wish more than anything that I had booked any other hotel, as I would have had a better experience than I did here.
The hotel was the last on our Florida trip to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, and we were very much looking forward to being in Miami following a relaxing week in the Keys.
Based upon the reviews about the expensive parking, I opted to take the car back to Alamo on the first day and then walk or public transport our way around the city. The hotel kept our bags safe while we returned the car, and this was the only customer service of any quality that we experienced throughout our stay.

As mentioned, I booked a City View King Room in August 2013 through booking.com. The welcome was unenthused and we were pointed to room 115. First of all, let me assure you that there was no City View, as there was no view, full stop. We were offered the car park and underside of the motorway above; I live in London and I have a better view than that! As the general manager of a 669 bed residency I always want to know if a resident/guest has a complaint so I can best rectify it, so I offered Hotel Urbano the same courtesy and went to reception to register my disappointment, again I was met with little in the way of customer service. The man told me that this was a city view room, when I challenged him that a 'Pool View' would have a view of the pool, he argued that I had a view of the City; I had a view of the car park and underpass, nothing more. He registered my complaint and said that it would be put on my reservation and we would be moved tomorrow (Saturday) when they had an available room. I understand that there was no alternative so fair's fair and it was left at that.

The Saturday morning was awoken with this awful cackle coming through the paper thin connector door at 07:00. I couldn't possibly sleep through the noise so just got up and enjoyed the HUGE shower, however because the bathroom door is just a slidey door it offers no privacy or noise concealment and it woke my fiance up.

We went out for the day expecting to return to some sort of instruction regarding our room move, however none was offered, and by this point I was so bored of the incompetency and lack of expectation management by the staff of Hotel Urbano that it wasn't even worth trying to discuss matters with them further and we retired to our room.
The room is a good size and the bed is very large and comfortable, however because we were next to the road there was a light right outside the room, which even with the curtain closed would peek through into the room which is very distracting.

I was awoken at 01:00 from the 'cackle' next door emanating through the paper thin door. This went on until I could not bear the noise any longer and asked them loudly but politely to shut up because I was trying to sleep. Well.....the 'cackle' was not as polite, came out of her room, knocked on my front door and proceeded to call me every name under the sun, and I mean every name, including the C word, which I feel is nothing short of disgusting.

I retorted by telling her to shut up, but did not rise to swearing as that is just not acceptable in a public hotel with a stranger. I was so angry and very intimidated so called the front desk from the room phone, explained that I had been threatened and sworn at and that the noise had not ceased. I was told security would visit and that was that. I heard nothing more from any member of staff and was very uncomfortable about sleeping in that room and stayed away playing games on my phone until I was certain that they had gone to sleep.

Upon the day of check out I awoke to the bill under the door - so they did know where we were! The check out was completed by the 'operations manager' according to his badge. He did not ask anything about out stay, our experience, nothing. Again, another example of the truly appalling staff at Hotel Urbano.

I have offered a 'poor' rating as opposed to 'terrible' as the hotel does have some lovely art to look at, a nice pool area, and the rooms are generally nice - however they lie in their description, have no concept of customer service, and you have no idea what crazy lady might be in the room next door!

P.S. To the manager who seems to like to comment on all reviews, I beg you not to - you and your staff had no interest in listening to me or assisting me while I was in the hotel when you had power to affect my experience, so do not pretend to care now.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter which room you choose, they lie about them all.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Phee_Bizz

While we understand you were frustrated with your stay and requested we not respond, we would like to still take the time to thank you for sharing your review. Should you return to Miami, we would love for you to give us another try.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Based on the many excellent reviews given on TA we booked this hotel and had high expectations however I can say that our experience at the Urbano was just average, nothing outstanding.

Rooms - comfortable beds but there is NO privacy when it comes to the bathroom. The bathrooms have sliding doors which have gaps on either side (and no locks) meaning anyone is the room has a very clear sight of what going on behind closed doors. No problem seeing someone use the toilet or having a shower so keep that in mind if your sharing a room with someone you're not extra close too.

Valet parking only - Overnight parking is $24/night + taxes which comes to just over $30/night which will be billed to your room. Although it appears that paid parking is pretty standard in Miami we thought these rates were pretty outrageous...but then again everything is expensive in Miami.

Swimming pool - Very nice pool area and not overly busy; at least when we were there.

Food/meals - Expensive!! Our room rate came with free breakfast with a value of $30. We used $25 of that voucher but were still charged $9 for gratuity and service fees.

Location - There is nothing within walking distance within the hotel so you will either need your car or use the free trolly that stops right outside the hotel. Make sure you ask the hotel staff the trolley's to catch as the trolley operators are not very dependable to direct you to where you want to go or tell you where to get off. We used the trolley to go to Bayside Market Place and it took us about 20 min.

Although this hotel was OK we probably would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We're so sorry to hear that you thought our art, boutique hotel to be average. We are glad to hear though that you were able to enjoy the free trolley to explore downtown Miami, our lovely pool area and the comfy beds. We do hope you'll try us out again in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed the Urbano ! Great location at the foot of the Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscane, close to the Vizcaya Museum, Fairchild Tropical Gardens, and Bayside Shops and Restaraunts. The staff was excellent.....they really took good care of us. We enjoyed the breakfast and lunch at the pool.
Hoping to return this fall......

Room Tip: We had a pool view room and really enjoyed it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HankFromPortsmouth

Thanks so much for your fantastic review! We're glad you loved the hotel and our location.....when you start planning your visit in the Fall please feel free to reach out to us directly for the reservation sales@hotelurbanomiami.com

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Urbano the night before a cruise and then 4 nights afterward. We were really happy when we arrived at the hotel at 9am and our room was already ready for us. When we arrived back from our cruise, Katrine (we were on our honeymoon!) had set up a really romantic room with flower petals, roses, champagne, and chocolate covered strawberries. It was so sweet! The staff was really friendly and they seemed to really care about us. They spent time talking to us and getting to know us, and even the bartenders remembered our favorite drinks.

The pool was really nice, we just wished there had been a hot tub. The outside area was really nice during the day for relaxation. One thing we wished the staff would have told us is that the saturday we were staying there, there was a children's birthday party at the pool. We had been hoping for a relaxing afternoon, and were disappointed to learn there would be a party only moments before the party began. Anyway, at night the cabanas and fire are really beautiful. We swam in the pool and then warmed up by the fire. It was really relaxing.

The rooms were cozy but not too small, but also not too big. There was just enough room for us to lounge in bed. The beds were SO AMAZING. I could have slept in them all day.

The restaurant was good but overpriced. We had breakfast twice, I had the breakfast burrito and the french toast. The burrito was really good but the french toast wasn't anything great. It was worth the price for the convenience.

We were really happy with all of the staff, but Joe and Katrine stood out to us because they took the most time to talk to us and guide us to the good spots in Miami. My only complaint was that we had to ask for someone to come clean our room one day, but I couldn't believe when I found Joe, the manager, vacuuming our room. How awesome that the manager isn't "above" doing that.

We rented a car for one day, but we didn't pay the fee to park the car at the hotel, we found free parking on the street one street down from the hotel.

Location-wise, it was within walking distance of the financial district, which has lots of restaurants and bars. Miami is very difficult to get around, and although there are trolleys (free) and buses ($2.25), they are slow and take forever to reach the location. Taxis were expensive and it seemed like they were trying to "screw" us by driving us longer routes and thinking we didn't notice. It just doesn't seem like there is any good way to travel within Miami.

We were really happy with Hotel Urbano, however we were disappointed with Miami. If it had not been such a joyful experience at the hotel, we would have left Miami and finished our honeymoon somewhere else.

Room Tip: The ground floor pool rooms were really great. It was so nice to be able to just walk out on the pat...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Congratulations on your wedding, marriage, honeymoon! We're so honored that we got to be part of special time in your life - and that you had a lovely experience overall! I will pass along your kind words to both Katrine and Joe - we are lucky to have them both on our team!