“Acceptable hotel in slightly dicey neighborhood”

SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center
Ranked #67 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My son and I stayed there when we went to visit relatives. We wanted a hotel near the Miami International Airport as we had early morning flights. The hotel met that requirement. It's right next to the freeway, but we didn't hear any freeway noise.

The room was small and laid out weirdly. There was a small sitting area with a couch, a dresser with a set of shelves and mirror on top of it that effectively divided the room in half, and then an area with the bed. I had asked for two separate beds but they gave us a queen-sized bed, so my teenage son slept on the couch. The bathroom door slid open and shut, and slammed into my fingers when I pulled it shut and didn't move my hand out of the way quickly enough.

We didn't want to pay the hotel parking fee. I asked the front desk if it was safe to park the car on the street and they said they wouldn't leave their car out there if it was them. We did leave the car on the side street, and it was fine in the morning. Maybe they were just trying to scare us into paying for the parking.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cary F
Thomas L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I will share your comments with the team.

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My family stayed in this hotel several times during my sister's three-month illness and hospitalizations at Jackson-Memorial. While I would not recommend this necessarily as a "destination hotel" for a family vacation, I overwhelmingly recommend it should you find yourself in the position of having to be near this hospital for any extended time. The staff was
sympathetic and supportive. The place is clean, has a decent menu, lobby bar, and offers a wonderful full breakfast -- either spartan or indulgent -- whatever your tastes. Not only that, but the hotel offers discounts for those who are staying because they need to be near the hospital complex, which, by the way, is about five minutes away. In addition, the hotel offers free transportation back and forth not only to the hospital itself, but to the various medical buildings located on or near the Jackson-Memorial complex. Further, the hotel had no problem with our or other patrons bringing their own wine/beer into the hotel lobby. So many ways to save money when it's going out the door quickly because of a loved-one's illness. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Thomas L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Miami Airport East/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback, we hope to see you back real soon

Tom

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a case of a good hotel in a very bad location.

From my room I could see people with suspicius attitude at 03:00 AM on the street in front of the hotel. Twice I wake up with police lights and syrens "just checking" the street in front of the hotel. The area seems to be a drug market, with activity all night long.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights over Fourth of July as part of our pre-cruise stay. We arrived very late at night and GPS got us there very easily. The guest services rep checked me in and even waived the first night's parking because of the very late arrival time (early AM), which was very thoughtful and appreciated. We had a jam packed day on the holiday and this was a very convenient location base for us for our stay.

This is one of my favorite room layouts in the Marriott brands. The bathroom is split with large sliding doors with a separate area for toilet/sink and another area for sink/shower. Very much appreciated for a family of four trying to get ready at the same time! I did jam the door on my finger one time and I think there could be a little more soundproofing added to the toilet side, if you know what I mean, but again we are a family and it was not a problem.

Separate desk and couch area along with microwave and mini fridge were very convenient. I used the treadmill in the fitness room and it was very nice. Breakfast was good and convenient as well. Though it was a holiday and obvious the hotel was pretty full, staff was replenishing items constantly and the lines kept moving due to pretty good flow despite a somewhat blocked off area.

The only complaint is that the elevators seemed to move slowly and were often full. I wanted to use the stairs near our wing but it dumps you at an exterior door outside of the hotel without reentry and did not in any way connect to the lobby. It was very awkward and did not make that mistake anymore. Why there would be staircases that do not give lobby access, I don't really understand.

Parking garage was easy to use. Overall a great stay! I would stay here again if cruising out of Miami.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you fro your feedback, as you may have noticed we've recently upgraded our linens and pillows

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We made reservation in SpringHill Suites using Priceline service and paid $100 for one night in double room.

Hotel is located in hospital area and is not very easy to reach. As we were told, it is possible to use shuttle from/to the Miami Airport. It was not a case in our situation, as we had a car. Unfortunately, hotel parking was quite expensive, so we have decided to park on the street.

Hotel room was very clean with very comfortable beds. WiFi connection performed well. We have not used gym nor pool, but we were told about possibility of using them.

Breakfast was rich with a variety of offering.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miroslaw F

Thank you for your feedbacks, where happy you enjoyed our complimentary full american breakfast buffet and free wi-fi, as you mentioned we do offer free trasportation to and from the airport and hospital

Reviewed 26 July 2014

What a great value! Not a mistake for $150. Although there were a few personal problems I encountered, the good things made up for it.
To begin, the staff was very welcoming and helpful. There was wifi available as well as computers. The gym was pretty decent for a hotel gym, so I got in a good workout in. The pool is small, but acceptable. The room is cozy and the view I had was great. The breakfast was delicious and there is even Starbucks available for extra charge.
Now for the personal problems. I didn't address them because, quite frankly, they didn't bother me that much. Anyway, i was assigned a handicap room which meant an open shower, which caused me to basically flood the bathroom. The hotel did not provide very many towels- only three or so. The room card did not work well at all. In fact, I was locked outside by the pool, but it didn't last long because an employee quickly let me in. Also, a paper given out at the front desk said Starbucks was open until 10pm, but when I turned up at 9:10 they said they closed at 9.
Overall, I would still give the hotel 5 stars because it is so welcoming and more convenient than a motel.

Room Tip: don't get a handicapped room if you're not handicapped- the shower floods the bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Come back and see us real soon

Safe travels always

Tom

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My father was ill and in ICU at the hospital. My husband and I flew in to Miami airport and took a cab directly to University of Miami Hospital. The man at the information desk at the hospital gave us a flyer for this hotel and said it was approx 1 mile to this hotel. We are fussy about where we stay so my husband went over to check out the hotel. It was modern, clean, convenient with a king size bed and a sitting area with a desk. The staff was always polite and helpful. They have a free shuttle that takes you back and forth to the hospital, Miami airport and Bayside where there are restaurants and shopping. We were given a discount because we were visiting the hospital and the free breakfast everyday was really good with lots of choices. The shuttle runs through the day almost hourly so we went back and forth to the hospital frequently. Bayside was a nice alternative to eat at night because the restaurant in the hotel have limited choices. One thing is, make sure you arrange shuttle transport for the designated times at the front desk. It also helps to be outside at the front door, perhaps 5-10 min before the shuttle leaves. We missed 2 shuttles because the first one left too early and we were told to wait in the lobby another time and the shuttle took off without us. This was a problem because we needed to be at the hospital at particular times. For most of the time, the shuttle driver would come into the lobby to collect passengers at the appropriate times. We would return to this hotel in a minute. Great stay, great beds, great staff

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the detailed feedback, we hope your family member has recovered and is healthy and home with loved ones