“Super shady. Do not trust”

Deep sea fishing Miami - Jumanji
More attraction details
Owner description: Deep sea fishing Miami & Miami Beach is great, the only place where you get to party on the beach and catch big fish like sailfish, shark, dolphin, tarpon, snapper, grouper and kingfish. The crew aboard JUMANJI are experts at different kinds of fishing in these waters. Join JUMANJI on a private or shared charter for a half, three quarter, or full day fishing charter. Corporate events and large family and friend functions are welcomed. We have a small fleet of extremely experienced Captains and vessels to join in for a spectacular fishing trip. Call today!
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Terrible communication, charged me even after I canceled well before my trip. Would not suggest. Plenty of other charters out there.

5  Thank Mike S
fishjumanji_FL, Owner at Deep sea fishing Miami - Jumanji, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Well MIKE, I would have to say that your review is SUPER SHADY! You wrote a review for the Free Spool, our competition, boasting how you always fish with them and you never go anywhere else. Heck, you even send family there because they give you such a great deal. We don't know who you are and your attempts to smear a family operated business are less than tasteful. We take deposits just like any other company does. Sometimes as little as $50 to make sure we don't turn business away from REAL CUSTOMERS. You should be ashamed of yourself. ~ CAPTAIN VIVIAN feel free to contact me my number is listed on the WORLD WIDE WEB.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I have fished all over the world for the last 25 years and I LOVE my fishing. Florida (many times), Cuba, South America, East Africa, Cape Town, Thailand, Mauritius, etc, etc. In all this time and all these places, I have never had such a good trip as I did on Jumanji and I want to explain why....

(By the way I NEVER write reviews but feel compelled to do one for Kevin and Jumanji because it was SO good).

First, everyone MUST understand that fish are fish. No skipper in the world can control what they do. By way of example - last year I went out in Boca Grande (one of the best places in the world to catch the elusive Tarpon), on a perfect day, with perfect tides, bait and gear and with a skipper who personally takes George Bush and family (former President) and his family Tarpon fishing. All the signs were there that we would smash it. But guess what, we had one bite and didn't land a single fish all day! That's fish for you!!!

The point I am making is that It is easy to write a good review when you catch a ton of fish (and yes the right skipper and boat play a very important part in that), but if you want a great trip, it should be judged on ALL of the elements that I list below – not just a review from a post-trip, big-haul emotional high. If you do this you stand the best possible chance of catching fish but also having a great time. I write these points and add my comments on Kevin and Jumanji…

1) LOCATION. Do your research and find the places where you stand the best chance of catching. Sometimes it’s worth travelling a little further to increase your chances of catching. JUMANJI is at Bayside, which is easy to get to and close to the Ocean, so travel time to the fish is mimimised. It is also very close to the nearest car park making it easy to get your stuff to and from the boat. There is also lots to do and see at Bayside with nice restaurants also.

2) SPEED OF RESPONSE. Kevin was the ONLY skipper of three that I called to answer the phone first time. He was fishing but he called me back when he said he would and we exchanged a number of messages to sort out the details. He also arranged the trip at short notice, which is often rare with fishing charters.

3) PRICE. Kevin and Jumanji were at the lower end of the price range for fishing charters. They were not the cheapest BUT I have tried the cheapest fishing charters before and you get what you pay for! I ALWAYS have the worst trips and catch the least fish when I choose a fishing charter based mainly on the price. Kevin was willing to discuss the price and he is reasonable and fair. In terms of the most important thing, which is VALUE FOR MONEY, Jumanji is head and shoulders above all others I have tried.

4) THE BOAT & GEAR. Jumanji is a superb boat and I went on her and checked out all the facilities. A really top-class modern sport-fisher with ALL the equipment. The rods, reels, line and bait were also excellent. Proper fishing gear that was totally fit for purpose. There was actually an issue with a prop on the boat on the day of the trip, but rather than cancelling the trip, Kevin arranged a replacement that was just as good. I think it is good to know that if issues come up then this company will sort them out and your trip won’t be affected.

5) SKIPPER EXPERIENCE AND ATTITUDE. If you want to catch fish then this is critical! Kevin has fished these waters his entire life! He caught a 250lb Tarpon as a young kid in Maimi and there is not a fish here that he has not caught. Hundreds of marlin, sailfish, tuna, grouper, wahoo and my personal favourite – Tarpon! Just seeing him work and fishing alongside him for the duration of the trip and you know you are in the presence of someone who has mastered his craft. Mastery only comes with passion, and watching Kevin at work you can see he gets as much pleasure from catching fish today than he must have done when he was a kid. He started fishing at 6.30am the day I went out, with another party, and my trip was 7pm to midnight. He seemed as fresh to me at 11pm as if he had just started. If he was tired it did not show. I also have to say that I learnt a lot from Kevin. If you just want to sit back and reel in fish then that’s fine but if you actually want to learn something and improve your fishing, then Kevin will be able to help you there as well. It’s probably the most I have learnt on any charter fishing trip where normally the skippers treat you like idiots and don’t teach you how to be a better fisherman.

6) CATCHING & LANDING FISH. Catching fish is one thing and landing them is another. We hooked into three Tarpon during my short evening trip. This is more than I have ever hooked into after weeks of trying to catch them and paying lots of money on charters. No one else around us caught a single fish. Kevin knew the waters and when we did hook up he knew exactly what we needed to do to stand the best chance of landing the fish. The work Kevin and his team put into making sure we were in the right place, doing the right thing was relentless. I have never been so happy to tip a captain and his crew.

7) AFTER SERVICE. At the end of the trip, Kevin lent me some of his fishing rods so I could go and catch more fish. He told me where I could go, what to do and how to do it. No skipper has ever offered this. Further, there were discounts on future trips and a mounting service which if you needed it, would avoid you getting ripped off as I did once in Key West.

IN SUMMARY
Jumanji and Kevin come with the very highest possible recommendation. FIVE STARS in simply not enough. I do not have a single criticsm - and from someone who fishes all over the world and owns his own boat, this is high praise indeed. Take my advice, ignore the single poor review on Trip Advisor because it bears no relation whatsoever to the trip that I had. If your experience comes anything close to mine, then this is the BEST fishing trip you will ever go on – anywhere in the world, let alone in Miami.

Please note that this really is a genuine review from a very happy customer. I have spent 30 minutes writing this review (on my holiday) because I am so happy and feel it is the least I can do to say thanks to Kevin and his team for a truly outstanding trip.

4  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We expected to do more of the fishing our self but the captain and his helper (the son) was setting up the fishing equipment and only when a fish actually bite we got to touch it and wheel in for a couple of seconds. We did catch 7 fishes (not big ones though).

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Just came off a fishing trip in Miami. We booked the trip 1-2 weeks before we took it. Owner said this is the best time of year to be fishing here. We are catching," mahi,grouper,sailfish,tuna but you need to book the 6 hour if you want to catch these". So of course we did! He was very easy to reach him until we paid for the trip. After that, I could hardly reach him to ask him additional questions about various things in Miami and the upcoming trip. On day of trip, they had the time wrong and also informed us of the 20percent tip that must be paid in cash. We were again told about all the great fishing to be had. So of course we wanted to catch the mahi, grouper, tuna and sailfish that had been boasted about. Once on board the captain of the boat told the group that they hadn't been catching any fish lately and that this time of year the fishing isn't very good. After 2 1/2 hours spent catching bait and a 45 min ride to where we were dropping the lines we started "fishing". We caught 2 Bonita fish and that was it!!!! Yeah, the crew on board were great guys but am I paying $900 to be around some great guys for 6 hours who know how to fish... and then tip them $190 for doing their job even though we came home empty handed. (had to throw away the Bonita)
When I asked the owner about the lack of fish he said it was our fault since we only were only willing to catch grouper. That we should have told the captain of the boat to try out different fishing locations. Sorry thought that was the captains job?
Overall, we never gave the tip because the owner wouldn't cut us a break on the cost said, " he couldn't control the fish biting". Nope he can't, but he could have been honest and said that the boat hadn't been catching anything recently and that none of the fishing charters had much luck recently. He also didn't have to say it was our own fault for not catching any fish!
There seem to be plenty of fishing charters in Miami who have fun crews on board I would go with one of them before booking with Jumanji.

4  Thank lindaOrlando
fishjumanji_FL, Owner at Deep sea fishing Miami - Jumanji, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

It amazes me how everyone jumps at the advantage to write a bad review without making an effort to resolve the issue at hand. This is why I treat every single negative review as an attempt to damage my company's reputation. I make sure that all my guests whether they caught fish or not are satisfied. I offer FREE food and beverages, 50% off additional charters, dinners at our local Seafood restaurants, or in the extreme cases take you out again for FREE!

According to your review you inquired about what type of fish were biting and you were told grouper, snapper, etc... and also told that fishing was great. Well, should we have told you that there were no fish and that fishing was terrible? THERE IS NO FISHING CHARTER COMPANY in the world that can guarantee you fish. The rod is in your hand and the luck is on your side. Fishing is fishing, and we do not control the bite. I personally would NEVER say that fishing is slow, that's like going to McDonalds and having the cashier tell you that the burger you're about to eat is full of fillers, hormones, and antibiotics that could possibly cause you cancer in the long run.

You also stated that you could not contact me which is extremely odd because I am the person that answers the telephone at our only number and my wife sits at the office stricken with and battling breast cancer and answers all the company emails. I reached out to you immediately after reading this post and did not receive a response.

You should realize that the reviews you put up on reputable sites like TripAdvisor have a huge impact on the company you are writing about. That there might be a family and hard working people trying to make a living. We are a small family owned fishing business, not WALMART. We are not a corporation full of rich people with little disregard for our customers or community. Be authentic and give me a call to discuss your issues if they are legit.

Capt Kevin Pagan
T. 786-486-7200
Jumanji Fishing Charters

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I am glad that we were able to go on this fishing trip. I did my own research and didnt let any make any recommendations from the hotel, no stress! It was the highlight of our trip. If you are realy determined to catch fish, do your home work about what is in season and if fish will be biting at that time. Make sure you speak to the captain you are going to be fishing with and no one pulls a part time captain out at the last mintute. We did the 6 hours trip and in that time we caught 2 barracuda and a sailfish, which i had mounted for my office. This was a top notch operation with great staff. I am very please and I recommend this trip & will book with again next time we are in Miami.

2  Thank Travfools