“Good Hotel---Not Quite a Resort---Not Quite an Elegant City Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
Ranked #19 of 123 Hotels in Miami
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good Hotel---Not Quite a Resort---Not Quite an Elegant City Hotel”
Reviewed 28 March 2009

We had a 24-hour stay at the Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove on Valentines Day 2009 after a trip to Caribbean. It was a nice hotel---good lobby, nice pool (not quite a resort pool, but nicer pool than typical for city hotel), good room with excellent bathroom, nice balcony. Service was excellent. Accommodated very early check-in nicely. Asked an employee where the pool was and he spent 5 minutes walking with us until we got there. Food at pool bar was good as was dinner at Vizcaya. Note: This is partly a hotel and partly a RC residence. At the pool it was mostly residents who knew each other that lived in residential tower. Not a bad thing--just different. I wasn't just crazy about Coconut Grove but thats an issue of personal preference. I do prefer South Beach. It was a very good hotel overall, but I only give it 4 stars rather than 5 stars because I do not think this hotel quite has a clear vision of what it is. The amenities (pool, etc.) are not quite up to high-end resort standards, and its not quite up to Ritz Carlton standards for the urban hotels. Still, it suited our needs well, and we had a very pleasant short stay here. Would not hesitate to return for a short Miami visit.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iowaguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Dimas, California
Reviewed 27 February 2009

What an amazing hotel! From the minute I arrived, the staff at the Ritz-Carlton treated me as if I was the only guest in the hotel. They continuously used my name which made me feel like a VIP!! We were able to get the room at an absolute steal….booked a package called Reconnect. We got breakfast; valet and internet for an absolutely amazing price (can’t believe it from the Ritz)! The hotel has new rooms that were extremely clean with fresh flowers in the room! Downtown Coconut Grove was just steps away with great restaurants and live entertainment!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chappyvt
Toronto
Reviewed 20 February 2009

As you might expect from the price, this is an first! class hotel in every respect. Service is fabulous; rooms are gorgeous (though not all that large); it has every facility imaginable.

The hotel is in a quiet area near the marina and there are a few stores in the area, though not really ideal for much shopping.

Two complaints: $30 per day for parking is exorbitant considering the price per night.
My wife was on her own one evening and went down to the bar; she ordered a bowl of soup, It was terrible, like one of those dehydrated soup mixes.
(OK, high speed Ineternet should be free of charge too.)

Otherwise, this is a fabulous hotel.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 23 December 2008

Great hotel. Caters more to business travel but courteous helpful service, spacious rooms. We stayed just for 1 night and it fit our needs perfectly.

• Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Stayed at the Ritz this weekend and it was classic Ritz - in a good sense. Stunning lobby, attentive and friendly service, beautiful pool, and a very comfortable, well-appointed room with balcony.

The Ritz is located about 20 minutes from the airport and about a half hour (or less) from South Beach. With-in a ten minute walk or so is downtown Cocount Grove filled with some nice shops and restaurants.

I did have one issue that is or maybe isn't related to the stay. We attended a wedding that night in the hotel. When the entrees came to the table, three of us who ordered the beef (filet mignon with lobster) did not get our plates. We asked several times for our meals and were told they were "working on it". Meanwhile, other tables were being served. No exaggeration, about 20 minutes later, we received our meals (the rest of our table had finished eating). And, to make matters worse, the beef was a scrawny piece of tenderloin (heck, hamburger) and the lobster was a tiny scrap with hardly any meat. It's the Ritz - you're telling me they didn't have more filet!? Oh and no apology from the waiter's captain.

Aside from the beef problem, it was a really enjoyable stay. Although, like any stay at a high-end hotel (I'm lucky enough to have had a fair sampling!), other than the cache of the name, is the stay really that much nicer than at the more-affordable Hilton or W? Truly subjective I know. But so far...I have yet to find it it truly worth the expense (our room was close to $400 a night). But again, hey, it's the Ritz - and you do have to love it!

• Liked — Lobby/rooms/pool
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Greg187
Florida
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Front Desk Staff was very nice and efficient. The room was clean and comfortable although my double room was a little cramped.
The valet service is slow slow slow. Even when I had called down to have my car brought up and allowed 10 minutes to go downstairs, I still waited 5 minutes. And most of the time, when I was arriving and leaving the hotel over 4 days, there was no one there to even open the door. One time I had my hands full when leaving the hotel, there were 2 staff people at the conceirge desk looking at me struggling with the door and no one came to help. Not impressed.
The food was dreadful! Expensive and terrible. I ate at the restaurant downstairs and room service . Had a pasta dish at Bizcaya the first night that was inedible. Breakfast came with cold chewy toast ( nothing special bread).
I've stayed at Ritz Carltons in Beverly Hills, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago....... the Coconut Grove Hotel needs some attention from management.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank seegeeme
Washington, DC
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Stayed at the RC Coconut Grove this weekend before a flight from MIA. I've only visited Miami a few times but never this area. The hotel is only about 8 miles from MIA in a quaint- nice neighborhood.

The hotel seems perfect for small events/ meetings/ weekend trips. Beautiful lobby and city pool area. I had confirmed (and was guaranteed) two double beds on arrival. We left Palm Beach around 7:30 and arrived to the hotel around 9pm and upon check in, were told that we would have to take a king w/ a roll away. I understand this happens, but it's obnoxious. Furthermore, we got a room that wasn't in turn down (seems odd for a Ritz- especially when they don't give you the room you confirmed). No amenity, no apology, just the king room.

Regardless, CG has nice outdoor restaurants and the hotel is very relaxing/ retreat like. Our room had a nice balcony overlooking the bay and I hit the pool in the AM before our flight. We had a nice breakfast in the hotel restaurant (typical nice ritz style). Overall, nice place---wish they would have given us the room we guaranteed or an upgrade/ amenity for the hassle---but I'd go back (only if i needed a king room). Perfect for couples/ family weekends/ etc in Miami w/o the hassle or "scene" in South Beach. Also very close to shopping in Merrick Park/ Coral Gables.

• Liked — Location, small size, decor
  • Disliked — front desk (room)
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends