“This Hotel is Confusing....and smells like really cheap cologne”

Element Miami International Airport
Ranked #36 of 127 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This hotel is really confusing. I took a shuttle from the airport and it was obvious from the first encounter that the shuttle driver didn't know English. The driver was rude but I believe he was unknowingly rude. He let his phone ring listened to loud music and it was 11pm, I wasn't in the mood. The line for check in will probably take 25 minutes so bring a fold-out chair. The front desk employees weren't very nice and it took around 10 minutes to get my credit card scanned because the systems were acting up. The grounds of the hotel are actually pretty nice and clean but the hotel is loud. Also, there is a snack bar by the front desk but the options are limited and for a bottle of Coke it's about $3.50. I really like the idea of green hotels and hotels working to help the environment but the Element's green practices took away from my stay. The hallways are dimly lit and I could barely see my room. The room is very dark and it seems like they were just hiding the dirt. Everything in the room seemed a bit cheaper and the bed was uncomfortable because of these practices. I know it doesn't seem like a big issue but the whole hotel smelled like a cheap gross cologne. This actually took a lot a way from my stay. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MaxProsp757
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Element Miami International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you found our hotel concept confusing as the Element brand is committed to providing our guests relaxing experiences with our bright and open spaces, fully-equipped and spacious guestrooms, grad and go pantry and complimentary breakfast. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the shuttle driver and we will be sure to share this feedback with the team. We appreciate your thoughts on the hallway and guestroom lighting but we can assure you we keep our guestrooms extremely clean. We also appreciate your feedback on the guestroom beds and the scent of the hotel. Again, thanks for your review.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I truly believe that a hotel leaves Ear plugs on your nightstand should be required to warn you in advance about noise. It's also not located in the best part of town. Otherwise the hotel is clean. There is no bar or restaurant. They offer a pseudo-Egg McMuffin breakfast. The coffee is good though.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CalGeo
ElementMIAGM, General Manager at Element Miami International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear CalGeo,

Thanks for sharing your concerns about the ear-plugs. We like to think that our guests understand that when booking a hotel at an airport they might experience some noise - even with the outstanding build quality we have here. Being an airport hotel direcly in the flight-path we like to offer our guests the added comfort of having the ear plugs available just-in-case.

Sorry if you felt you should have been "warned" but doing that might give the wrong impression to guests when all we're doing is offering the amenity for light sleepers.

Thanks!
Mike

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to the airport, a starwood property, and offered shuttle service. I called the hotel prior to our arrival to find out about the shuttle options. We were told that the shuttle comes by the airport every 30 minutes. We landed, went to the shuttle area and waited. (And waited and waited). Finally we called the hotel who told us that we should have called once we landed and advised that a driver would be on the way. We waited nearly 45 minutes for the shuttle to finally pick us up. We were actually waiting for a taxi when we finally spotted the shuttle. Long wait for the shuttle aside, this hotel was fine. The hotel itself is brand new- as a result it is modern and sleek. Because of my starwood status, I was upgraded to a larger room. Elevators within the hotel are slow. The room was nice- no complaints, but I felt like I was in an ikea showroom. The hotel offered all the comforts I like- free wifi, complimentary coffee in room and lobby, flat screen tv, free breakfast, free newspapers, etc. Breakfast was extremely crowded. The area near the hotel was not that nice. There is nothing within walking distance. One nice thing- the hotel shuttle will take you to anywhere you want to go within the local area as long as it is within a 3 mile distance. (too bad there is nothing good in the area!) I thought the front desk staff were a bit slow at responding to requests. One girl looked at her cell phone prior to assisting me. I'd rate this hotel as 3.5 stars- it would be a 4 but for the shuttle service and front desk service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lhaganmich
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Have stayed at the Element Miami International Airport a couple of times, and it works well for my purposes. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the fitness center is more than adequate for a hotel at this price point, and the complementary breakfast and dining area works nicely. In other words, a good place to sleep near the airport and a good value.

The airport runway is nearby, and when walking between the car and the hotel entrance we very much noticed the sounds of jets taking off. However, this did not prove to be an issue inside the hotel. My room was quiet and comfortable for sleeping. The only noise I heard at night was a group of people speaking loudly in the hallway.

As has been noted by other posts, the area around this hotel is not of interest. It is an old industrial or boat yard area. The neighborhood is not a problem, and it is not an advantage. There is nothing nearby to walk to, and going out for a meal requires a car.

Bottom-line: this property provides a clean, comfortable place to rest for business travelers (with transportation) and for tourists who need nothing more than a place to rest before or after a flight at MIA.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AtlantaRes
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here with a few family members post cruise. No shuttle pick up from the Port of Miami. As cruises dock in the morning, we arrived at the hotel mid morning and no early check-in was allowed even though we requested when booking. Shuttle will only go to a 3 mile radius. So no-go to the Dolphin Mall. To kill time hotel shuttle drove us to a Cuban restaurant for lunch, got back and still no room until after 2pm. Some other family members didn't get their rooms until 3pm and only after talking to the front desk......and they were sitting in the lobby 20 feet away!! Rooms are nice, modern and set up like a small condo. No complaints about the room. Free internet with printer access in the lobby, free coffee and tea, DVD player in room and full kitchen. Didn't try the complimentary breakfast as we had early flight before breakfast was open at 7am. Hotel in a sketchy area. Gated parking lot. No restaurants within walking distance. Different shuttle driver recommend the same Cuban restaurant for dinner (hint: "referral" fee).....so, one can't go too far unless you have a car or willing to pay for a cab. Bottom line....stay for one night only for easy access to/from the airport and you don't want to explore the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marmatjj
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Finding the hotel was a little difficult. It is located in a bad kinda area with lots of old boats & junk around on the streets. The hotel has a huge fence around it & a key card entry gate. Not much for food in the area.
As for the hotel itself. Loved it. New , nice , clean , good bed , awesome breakfast. Fire pit outside. The only downside is the area it is in. Also Miami flight path is directly above it. And I mean right above it! Huge ( the really big ones! ) planes take off & land & I'm guessing they are only 1000 to 2000 feet over you. If you can deal wit the area & air traffic this is a great new type of hotel , I would defiantly recommend the Element Brand. Rooms are more like studio apartments.

Room Tip: Back side looks to a lake. Front looks to a bunch of junk! Take a back room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sean B
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at Element one night prior to an early-morning flight out of Miami. The hotel is very close to the airport and has an airport shuttle. The shuttle runs every half hour. There's nothing near the hotel but their free shuttle service will drop you off and pick you up anywhere within a three-mile radius of the hotel. There's also morning breakfast that's included with everyone's room. The room was very clean. Hotel staff and shuttle drivers were very nice. The only thing missing, in my opinion, is an on-site bar. I'd definitely return for another one-night stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple