“Beautiful old Miami hotel but in need of some tlc”

Mayfair Hotel & Spa
Ranked #42 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Miami, Florida
“Beautiful old Miami hotel but in need of some tlc”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days in July We encountered a few issues. First, ,I booked through Groupon. I was charged taxes on hotel side at time of check in as well as at time of booking by groupon. I contacted both parties and was continuously bounced back between the parties.Till this day , I have no resolution from either side and I have paid double tax!!! I think it's illegal to charge taxes twice on the same product and as far as I am concerned Mayfair agreed to the deal on Groupon, so I shouldn't have been charged by the hotel..since they are ultimately receiving those funds minus the groupon marketing fee...

The room we were checked into was filled with dead bees...turns out their was a hive outside the window. We were moved into another room..no insects this time..but we did encounter dirty floors(my feet were filthy after being in the room barefoot ) and the air conditioner only cooled in part of our suite. We also encountered plumbing issues in one of the other rooms in my party. On a positive note, I will say that most of the staff at the Mayfair are very customer service oriented. Kevin , the concierge/bell hop is a great example of this. He always had a smile on his face and was ready to help us with any issues we encountered or questions we had. Mayfair , don't loose your charm...keep it clean :-)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear MiamiJA2012,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our property and we sincerely hope that you were able to enjoy your time in our iconic hotel.
We would like to thank you for your patience while encountering those hiccups that were the pluming and the housekeeping issues.
In relation to the bees, mother nature has a way to throw curve balls our way and we are very thankful that the bees were not a bigger issue.
Once again we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate such an special occasion and we truly hope that we have earned a loyal guest for years to come.

Director of Front Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 10 August 2014

So, I book a suite for the weekend, Friday-Sunday (Friday was my birthday). On Saturday afternoon I smelled a strong scent of marijuana. I called the front desk to inform them and ask them to send someone to our floor to investigate. Then again on Sunday morning I smelled it again. I called again down to the front desk this time and asked them to send someone to our room because it was coming through our vents. THEY NEVER DID. When I bought it to the manager, Desmond's attention all he said was that he was sorry and that if they found anything in the room next to ours, they would pay a $2500 fee. That did NOTHING to rectify my ruined birthday weekend. Needless to say, I did not enjoy my stay there.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Becky V,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our property and we are truly sorry that the inconsideration of other people did not allow you to enjoy our wonderful property.
I would like to share that unfortunately the hotel can not make any assumptions in relation as of to whom might be smoking in our rooms and that's the reason why we need actual facts to charge a guest for the smoking fee.
We sincerely hope to have an opportunity to regain your confidence and we trust that whenever you come back to our property we will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I've been staying at the Mayfair for years. Their rooms are always spotless, unique and spacious and the staff friendly and helpful. The hotel is located in the heart of Coconut Grove, so once you valet your car, you can walk to any number of fine dining establishments and funky shopping areas in the Grove. The rooftop pool area is beautiful and although we did not use the services of the Jurlique Spa this time, we have used it in the past and found it to be one of the best spas in the city.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room. They are all spotless, very unique and spacious.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sarinsmom,

It is great to read from our loyal and guest and we can not thank you enough for continuing to choose our iconic property as a get away.
We hope to continue to welcoming you back and for you to keep enjoying all of the amenities that the great area has to offer as well as all the our property.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Ok. So this was on the list of hotels approved by hubby's company. Since I tagged along for a little fun in the sun, I chose it, despite the reviews, because it was the only non airport option. Should've slept on the runway. Would've been cleaner. The Courtyard of the hotel is very pretty and "old florida" in style. It gave me hope, as did Desmond, the very, very nice front desk person who checked us in and upgraded us to an executive suite without our asking. Then we got to our room. Was sooo weird! It had odd angles and a creepy dark corner nook w just a mirror and shelf. A pendant light and vase would do wonders. The room was so drab and dark! Despite a large balcony, no light came in bc of the heavy climbing foliage. Also, instead of a nice table on the balcony, there was a gross Japanese soaking tub. The room was so bland and white, but not in a cool miami way, but rather a dingy walled, stained upholstery, filthy white tiled floor way. The only color was the stripe on the duvet and an accent pillow for the bed. There was zero decor besides a few framed pieces and an ice bucket and basket of very expensive snacks (6 bucks for a reg size twix? Really?). The dark wood closets/doors and plain planks of wood behind the couch didn't add to the charm. Florida doesn't have to be pink and palm trees, but clean and bright always works. The floor was filthy and our feet and socks were gray. I also stepped on what was toenails under the edge of the dust ruffle. Even worse was the obvious "bodily stain" that was all over one section of the dust ruffle. The bathroom actually seemed fairly clean, must've been as far as the mops reached. One morning the ceiling was leaking quite badly in the bathroom from the ac. Luckily maintenance was sent up immed and the guy was extremely nice and fixed the issue quickly. The only thing saving my review from one star was the staff. From the front desk to the valet and everyone in between, staff was wonderful. It's too bad these individuals can't put their charms to use in what could be a wonderful hotel. I'm still wondering if the rooms pictured on the hotel site actually exist or were just staged for photo day. We were upgraded and I shudder to think what our original room was like. The location is prime, but unfortunately this hotel is past it's own.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 2bluepoints
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear 2bluepoints,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our property.
Our property has the distinction of not being your regular Miami hotel, where all the rooms are alike, four walls and a bed; however we understand that sometimes our tropical setting is not of everyone's liking.
We are encourage to read that our staff made you feel warm and welcome and we truly hope that next time that your husband's business brings you to Miami you can find a hotel that will meet your expectations.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My go to spot for when the wife and I need a getaway... Usually stay several weekends a year... Excellent service, beautiful rooms, and very relaxing atmosphere...and the japanese tubs, soak the stress away...Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Damian D,

It is great to hear from our loyal guest and we hope to continue having you visit our iconic property.

Longboat Key, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We used to live in Miami and would visit the Mayfair when it was new. Beautiful then ...
We were excited to stay here in May for a group function, but were so disappointed at how the hotel has been allowed to go downhill.
The staff we encountered were very nice, the beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was clean, but ... for a king suite, we were very disappointed. We did fill in the comment card and left it at the front desk, but never heard anything back from them.
Our biggest problem was that the tile floors were filthy. Our feet were dirty from walking on them. And, there were black ants everywhere. We might have liked sitting on our patio, but there were no cushions on the furniture, it was very bleak and look like it had been abandoned.
We wished we had booked elsewhere.
There was also a couple staying down the hall from us with a dog. Every time anyone made a noise this little dog would start barking. Fortunately we were able to close off the bedroom and be far enough away we didn't hear it in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: If they do remodel, it could be charming, but ... our floors were SO dirty and the ants were so anno...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shelbee67
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear shelbee67,

It is incredible what a difference a couple of months can do, we want to thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay in our property. I would like to share with you that since your visit in May our housekeeping department has gone through a great turnover and the change has been from day to night.
Unfortunately in May we were still not fully done with the landscaping work and that was causing for the floors to be a little dirtier than usual however since we finished that work we definitely have seen a tremendous change and a completely satisfaction from our guest.
In relation to the ants, we do have a very tropical setting and that does bring some critters here and there being that we live in Florida, however our property does an extremely detail job when it comes to dealing with any kind of insects and pest control.
Once again we thank you for your feedback and we truly hope to have the opportunity to show you and for you to experience all the great changes that our property has gone through since your visit in May.

Jose Rico-Arango
Director of Front Office.
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I previously stayed here several times, and had my wedding here about 5 years ago and had a terrific experience, but it appears things have gone downhill.

My wife and I called the Mayfair - which is around the corner from my house - to get a room for a few nights. I spoke with Kevin, who answered when I called. We were looking for a last minute room because of issues with remodeling at our house. When I called, kevin stated that the room would be 129/night. This was about the price advertised on hotels.com. So I drove over, bags packed, to the mayfair to check in. When I went to check in, the front desk clerk told me that it was not 129/night, but 179. I explained that this was not what I was told, and they shouldn't be telling people that rate if they are not willing to honor it. The desk clerk wouldn't budge. I then asked if he would honor the hotels.com rate (131/night), in light of the situation. Again he said he would not. He said my choices were to either pay 179/night, or go elsewhere. I then asked the clerk if I could just book on my phone on hotels.com, and he said I could, but they wouldn't honor the reservation for at least two hours.

At the end of the day, I was looking to spend between 3-5 days at the hotel during renovations. I don't understand why you would purposefully turn away business, when we both know that the online fee, and the fee quoted on the phone, was available at the time. Maybe they were so busy on a Sunday-Wednesday in July that they can afford to turn down my business....but that's not how a business should run. If you run a fare, you should honor it. And as a former guest who has stayed here on several occasions I was extremely upset at how my wife and I were treated by the desk staff.

Needless to say, we left and stayed elsewhere. In light of this experience, unless the hotel changes hands, I'll never come back. And you shouldn't either.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank stmarcus
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear stmarcus,

It is extremely concerning to hear that you were treated in such a manner and I will do the proper follow up to make up sure that such an event does not repeat itself.
I would like to also apologize for what I could imagine was a very frustrating time and hope that you could give us an opportunity to regain your confidence.