“Clean, but horrible customer services”

Courtyard Miami Airport
Ranked #37 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Toronto, Canada
“Clean, but horrible customer services”
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We had booked 2 rooms for a one night per cruise stay online with friends and family discount rate. The terms said that we were allowed to book a max. of 2 rooms at this rate. When we got there, the front desk clerk(clerk A) gave us a hard time. She had refused to give us this rate for both rooms and claimed that it was only good for 1 room and wanted to charge us regular rate for the 2nd room. After arguing with her, she had finally gave in. She gave us 2 rooms that were not next to each other. ie. Let say room A & C. When we got there, a very nice cleaning lady had informed us that she had just finished cleaning room B and we should ask for a room change if we want 2 rooms side by side. I immediately called the front desk to have my rooms changed to rooms B & C. Clerk B had answered the phone and had agreed to my request. She asked me to go to the front desk to have my keys exchanged. When I got there, clerk A was there and refuse to make the change and made up a few excuses. I informed her that clerk B had agreed to. She spoke with clerk B, then gave me rooms A & B. I only had the room keys for A with me as I had requested for rooms B & C on the phone. She insisted that I go back to my room to get the keys for room C to return to her and refuse to give me rooms B & C. After arguing with her, she gave in and gave me rooms B & C like I had requested. I gave her the keys for room A to be changed to room B. She gave me keys for room C, which I already had. She did the same thing 2 more times. She had finally got it right the 4th time and gave me the keys for room B. I had thanked her after the whole thing and she did not even respond to me at all. She was very rude eversince I had stepped into the hotel. I had spoken with 2 other clerks and they are also not friendly. I have never been to any hotels with such horrible customer services. I couldn't get anything done without a fight. I have stayed at Marriott a few times and I've liked their hotels and services. This experience will make me think twice about booking with them again in the future. Veryyyyyyy disappointing.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank hd248

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I got into Miami after an almost 28hr trip from Australia so would have collapsed anywhere, but this hotel was nice and close to the airport. Have some pros and cons about my stay:
Pros: good, regular shuttle service, large rooms, shuttle to dolphin mall stops here, starbucks on site, pool, computers in lobby
Cons: Staff weren't the best (one gave me incorrect information re: a shuttle service so even though i was ready early i missed it and had to wait 2hrs for the next), found some hairs in my bed from the last occupant, noisy, got a random wake up call at 3:30am
Overall I would stay here again if the price was cheap but otherwise I'd try somewhere else, possibly the other Marriott on the complex where the staff were much more professional

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank shannatic
Grand Cayman
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We booked a short two night stay at the Marriott Courtyard since we were visiting Miami on a Christmas shopping trip from the Caribbean and got a good deal with Cayman Airways, our national airline. We had a less than favorable trip just getting to Miami, and when we arrived at the hotel I was very disappointed. The lady who checked us in was not warm and welcoming, and didn’t even give directions to our hotel room. When we found our room, I was greeted by more disappointment. The room was very stuffy and smelled horrible!

I had two packages delivered to the hotel and paid for advance shipping to make sure they got there on time. I asked the front desk to check if it was there, and they came back and said there was only one for me. I thought this was strange as it should have arrived well before me but I didn’t take it further and left it for another day. In the meantime I contacted the seller and asked them to re-send the items. When I came to check out, I asked again about the packages and it was there. A lady brought it over to me and said that she had two packages for me and one had been waiting for me for over a week. I was very frustrated by this since I ended up having to pay for the products twice and could not return the duplicate package since I was going home.

Getting a taxi from this hotel is almost impossible. The front desk staff called one for us but on two separate occasions we ended up waiting for almost an hour! The weird thing is when I went for a walk around the complex (there is a Marriott, a Courtyard and Residence Inn in the same complex), I noticed three taxis lined up at the entrance to the complex. Why did it take so long?

There was meant to be free Wi-Fi but we were never able to log on to the Wi-Fi so ended up using one of the three computers in the lobby.

The level of service I would expect from a Marriott branded hotel was not there. I travel to Miami often and always stay at an airport hotel, sadly this is one I will not return too.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Caymanita
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Flying in to Miami for a night from the Caribbean, I needed to find a room in a quiet and comfortable hotel around Miami International Airport as I was flying out the next day around 10am to Europe.

I got a good deal at Courtyard By Marriott Miami Airport South and I didn’t hesitate a second to book a room there. I believe it was in part because I had stayed there in the past, had a great experience, but I never really had a chance to write a review.

Out of the Terminal, I waited for about 7 min for the hotel shuttle bus which I easily recognized. The hotel being just about a mile away from MIA, I barely had time to sit that we were already pulling into the complex where 2 or more others hotels from the Marriott family are located. And just as I was expecting it, I quickly recognized the friendly and warm welcome at the front desk. The check-in was fast and efficient, and I was in my room in no time.

The room looked spacious, clean and well decorated. There was a nice sofa next to the bed, though I didn’t really need it, it added a charm in the room. I had a king size bed just like I requested and was happy with it. The bathroom was also clean and spacious with a tub and a huge mirror. I had a very quiet night and woke up refreshed!

Additionally, and it’s one of the things that I really appreciated in this hotel, I had ordered few stuff online to be delivered at the hotel before even I checked-in, stuff that I wanted to take them with me to Europe. It’s all went very well; once I identified myself to the security from my room, they had my stuff brought up to my room like an express delivery.

The only negative point that I noted was a small leak from the A/C in the room right in front of the bathroom entrance. There was water coming out of the A/C, making the carpet a bit wet, not a major issue but enough to be noticed. Since I was only spending one night and needed just a great night sleep, it didn’t bother me at all as I was totally satisfied with my night.

Overall, I had a great experience, just like the previous one, and would definitely go back if I have a chance. I would recommend this hotel for its proximity to Miami International Airport if you are spending a night or if you just want to be far away from the noisy airplanes landing or taking-off, but at the same time be close to the Airport. There are also many restaurants and fast food around the hotel, should you need to go out for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Room Tip: Just ask for something in particular, if available, the Hotel will provide you.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Salem, Virginia
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This hotel is great. I have stayed there twice in the past month The best part is the way is is set up with Marriott right next door. So you end up with two places to eat right there and there is a Starbucks in the lobby of the Marriott. The first time I was there it rained all week but I found a complete covered path back and forth. The review about no places to eat within walking distance is fairly accurate. The coffee place just outside the gate is good and a little further down is Cafe Latino which has a large selection, and the food is good,but it is nothing fancy otherwise it is a short drive to more food.

It appears that some parts of the hotel are newer than others it is obvious there are updating rooms and I don't mean construction you can just see the differences. If I have any complaint it is that there are no refrigerators or safes in the room. On my second visit I would have gotten my leftovers to go from the restaurant but with no refrigerator I would not be able to store them.

As for the staff they were very helpful. Danny B was beyond helpful when the printer was broken. He made sure my document was not going to print later and then assisted me with printing at the front desk. The only time I had a problem was later in the evening on my first visit I went on a hunt for a soda and they do not have soda machines in the hotel instead they have a small shop by the front desk. I am ok with this however the clerk working was by herself and so busy she did not have the ability to ring me up, I finally left and went back to my room still thirsty. Another hotel employee of unknown position said to just take the drink but he did not appear to have the authority to give that direction so I opted to play it safe.

All in all both of my stays were good and quiet. It's very close to the airport and I used the shuttle the first time which was very timely. From the airport there are a couple of Marriott shuttles this one says Marriott Airport South on it. The second stay I had a rental car. This is a gated parking lot and your room key is your parking key. Mine did not work the first time at the gate but they quickly fixed it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Barrie
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We went to this hotel after our cruise to rest. They took us at 10:00 in the morning an early check in and it went smoothly. The room was very clean and in a quiet area of the hotel. Their hotel restaurant had amazing reasonably priced food. We never got a chance to try the pool as it rained all day. That was the only bad thing the weather but they cannot help that. They did have great tv shows to keep us entertained. We would not hesitate to use this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Edwards, Colorado
Reviewed 28 October 2011

From beginning to end this hotel was AWFUL! Literally the only thing that my boyfriend and i enjoyed was the bar tendor who told us where to go at Miami beach.

We called ahead of time to try to get our friends room and ours close together and apparantly since they are an airport hotel they can't even put a request in or be helpful what-so-ever until you are there to check in with credit card in hand.

We were never told when booking that there was a charge for parking.

The front desk staff was rude to us and to each other which is a HUGE turn off while vacationing! They weren't welcoming, they were professional but in a very pretencious way and I was a front desk manager at a Doubletree in Colorado for several years so I know the job that they are supposed to be doing... Marriott is usually a very good brand so we had "Marriott" level expectations.

To make matters worse they messed up on our friends bill and over charged them by $40 then we had to deal with faxing credit card authorizations and refunds here charges there. WHAT A MESS! WE WILL NEVER BE BACK!

Room Tip: For a good stay you should book elsewhere. We are still dealing with their inadequacy nearly a mont...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple