“Best place to stay in the area”

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Ranked #5 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Miami
“Best place to stay in the area”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Everything about this hotel is perfect, you will be welcomed with a very nice tea which I found a very delicate detail and a distinguished signature of the brand, the ambiance is very glamorous and the service impecable. Every detail in my room from the background music to the expresso machine seemed to have been carefully chosen to create an atmosphere of relax. The view was quite amazing and the restaurants are really great not just hotel food but gastronomic and very selected places. Will definitely be back,

Room Tip: I had 1212 and it was a great room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I use this hotel as a base for my trips to Miami......living in Costa Rica.....Miami is a great spot for shopping, medical, business or just a little fun.....the MO is always a delight.....from the staff....to the rooms.....Jay at the concierge desk was a huge help each day.....helping to plan my shopping trips.....or handling errands for me......I enjoyed the lobby bar and was able to watch Costa Rica beat Italy in soccer there......poolside restaurant was great......room service (food) was hit and miss but the service was excellent.

Tulemar Dave

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TulemarDave
Longwood, FL
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have never been as impressed with a hotel, from start to finish as I am with the Mandarin Oriental Miami. The location on Brickell Key offers some amazing views, the staff at the hotel is top-notch, the pool and beach are very nice, and the rooms are beautiful and well appointed.

My husband and I stayed for a night stay-cation, as the hotel is about 25 minutes from our home. We rented a cabana on the beach for a half-day. The beach is interesting, as you can not actually swim in the bay. However, I'm not sure of another spot where you have such an interesting view of both the bay and the Miami skyline. The beach has a colony of iguanas that are fun to look at and feed. They're not shy and made for some interesting moments throughout the day. We were also treated to three dolphins swimming by within 50 feet of the beach. If you want to be in the water, you have to walk up to the infinity pool, just a few steps away. We did order lunch on the beach, and while the service was excellent, the food was actually pretty meh. Expensive, too. I ordered the cobb salad, which I thought was surprisingly tasteless. A small blip on an otherwise perfect afternoon.
The room itself was lovely. Very nice soaps and shampoo. Amazing view of the skyline and bay. Nice desk for working. Comfy chair. Narrow balcony, but enough to stand on. Lovely tub and shower. The bed is quite firm, but not uncomfortable at all. There's also an illy coffee machine, fully stocked.
Where the hotel really excels is service. We were quite pleasantly greeted upon check in. A small box of nice chocolate was waiting in the room (an orange one and a key lime one - very well thought out). Later, the manager had a small plate of chocolate dipped strawberries sent up to the room - as we were here celebrating our 15th anniversary. The nicest surprise was a turndown service that included rose petals strewn on the floor and arranged in a heart shape on the bed - included free of charge, and without us requesting or expecting it. What an amazing surprise.
In all, I can't recall ever being treated so well in a hotel, even ones that I have a strong business relationship with. This hotel is a winner, and one we will return to when we can.

Room Tip: Loved having a skyline view. Prefer that to the bay view, honestly.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MommaFox
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The visual beauty of this property is exceptional. Everything is designed with sophistication in mind, keeping the cultural queues of Miami as reference points. The lobby and general property areas are exquisite. The staff was very helpful from the valet at arrival, to the front-desk at check-in, and even one of the assistant general managers who was actively walking the property to ensure their guests were happy.

The guest rooms are fair, and while very clean, sharp and nicely appointed, the style appears a bit out of date at this time. I don't know that a complete refresh is necessary, but some investment in refurbishing the guest rooms would be positive.

We enjoyed a larger size room that had couch, long desk and an outside patio looking back toward Miami. What a great view, and highly recommended if you can arrange to have a higher floor room.

All of the linens, towels, etc were very nice as one would expect from Mandarin Oriental properties.

The lobby bar was very busy, we visited on a Friday night, and enjoyed the live music, but also the opportunity to sit outside on the terrace overlooking the water and view back toward Miami. It was really fun for us to watch the guests arriving by car or walking through the lobby who were on their way to or coming from dinner at one of the two restaurants on property. The guests were dressed so well and had a fantastic sense of style. The restaurants appear to be very popular.

The beach area is fun, having the sand element in addition to the pool is a great option. The local wildlife caused some guests to be quite surprised ... so keep your eyes open.

Definitely agree with anyone who is considering this for a South Beach option - it is too far away from South Beach - so find another alternative in South Beach rather than staying so far from that location.

The beauty of this property is its exclusive feel in a quiet secluded part of Miami with great views of the water and skyline. Combine that with top-notch service and you have a recipe for a fantastic experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed for my 10th wedding anniversary. The Hotel is fabulous and the staff are great.
Be advised thou this hotel is not for those pinching pennies, In Room Dining will set you back a pretty penny. I ordered a burger and a turkey club sandwich with a small salad for $92.50. At that price we expected more. But hey you live and learn. If you want to save money go to Bayside for countless restaraunts, and Trulucks is right across the bridge for steaks and Seafood.

At the end of the day as long as my wife had a good time im happy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was going to be a romantic long weekend for my husband’s milestone birthday. I did a chef tasting dinner party for eight at Azul (restaurant at the hotel) known for its chef’s unique style, that’s another review,. When you check in everything was great, very friendly an accommodating, professional staff. The room is very nice it was supposed to be a Bay View; it was more of a downtown Miami view with the bay in between our hotel and the skyscraper. The room is appointed nicely but could use some freshing up, obviously with an oriental flavor, very comfortable and easy to find everything including electronics plugs. The bathroom is large, spacious and has a lovely soaking tub & separate shower. Well appointed, the only problem is that they have a large lovely opening so you can soak in the tub and look out at the skyscrapers. The problem is if anyone goes to the bathroom at late at night & turns on a light they wake their partner, even bringing down a privacy shade at turn down service. Closet space is great and plenty of room to store your things. Pool area very disappointing, definitely needs updating and more wow. Resturant ran hot & cold different review. Let’s talk about room service that we never ordered. As I said it was my husband birthday, so his niece & nephew ordered a bottle of Champagne & had it sent to the room when we arrived. Then shortly after that a second bottled arrived saying Congratulations. We enjoyed one of the bottles while dressing for our diner party. The only room service was breakfast on the day of check out for my husband and self which was delicious. Well at check out they charged us for a bottle of Champagne. The Valet overheard us upset about the situation (he was amazing he should have been working the front desk), said don’t leave just go to front desk they will fix everything; I will hold your vehicle here for you. We went to the front desk, and explained the problem with our bill. The tone, and attitude, and the facial expression of the young women that was dealing with us, you would have thought you had stepped back into a two star hotel. She kept going back inside the “manager’s office” and treating us as we were telling her lies, including the body language She finally came out and magnanimously bestowed us with “we took it off the bill but we will be investing the problem”. They also had my reservation wrong for the type of booking I did, which was a problem too, I showed her e-mail print out when I made the reservations but she felt it was cut off & could not read it throughly again “they would investigate”. We have the blessing & an attitude of gratitude of being able to stay at places such as the Four Seasons & St. Regis all over, so we thought we give the Mandarin Oriental a chance. The experience at check out was so negative that I would not return. That is unfortunate, because the hotel is lovely.

Room Tip: Beware of the room service situation we are still having a problem with the hotel for a bottle of Ch...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ana B
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize for the lapse in service you experienced upon departure that has negatively impacted your view of Mandarin Oriental. Please understand we do not tolerate inappropriate behavior from any of our team members and I will be sure to address this incident and take the necessary corrective measures.

I am sorry to learn the guest room you stayed in did not meet your expectations and would like to point out that the Superior category room types do not have the open window design in the bathrooms.

I regret the lasting impression of you and your husband’s celebratory stay was a disappointing one. I hope you will give us another opportunity to turn around the unfortunate experience and I am at your service for any future assistance.

Jorge Gonzalez
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Starting off with staff: reception,bell boys, concierge and lobby bar staff are extremely helpful. Spa massage top! Rooms a bit worn out. Restaurants Azul&la mar very bad service, would not cater for terrace table.Forced to eat outside at Lippi.( great restaurant ) thanks to the great concierge!!!Overall this property cannot keep up with the high standards of Singapore Bangkok or Geneva.
Drinks at pool bar are served in plastic cups.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MarioL735
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize for the lapses in service experienced in our restaurants. I regret that we did not provide the level of service we strive to extend to all our guests and I apologize for the inconveniences experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the Azul and La Mar teams.

Please understand beverages are served in plastic cups in the pool and beach area for health and safety purposes.

We focus on maintaining and updating the guest room furnishings and decor while ensuring total comfort for all of our guests and will take your comments into consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope you will give us another opportunity.

Jorge Gonzalez