“Eloise gets married at the Mandarin Oriental Miami”

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Ranked #4 of 128 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Long-distance wedding planning is not for the faint of heart, however, with our experience with the Mandarin, it was made more seamless and resulted in a very successful event with a lot of happy wedding guests and a grateful bride and groom. From the initial consultation when looking at the hotel as our prospective wedding venue to what I will affectionately refer to as “Super Soaker Saturday”, Felicia Wichser, the Social Catering Manager at the Mandarin, was our go-to contact for anything that involved the Mandarin and quite frankly our rock. The epitome of professionalism, attentiveness, and at some times during the wedding process “a good shoulder to cry on”, Mrs. Wichser was one of the key reasons for the success of our event and helped to make our wedding memorable. I appreciated her input in everything that involved our wedding planning, and I will always remember her reassuring smile as I walked down the hallway to my awaiting husband-to-be for our “first-look” photographs. That meant more to me than any amenity or upgrade. She was truly invested in us as people and not as a sale.

Supporting Mrs. Wichser was the dynamic duo of Harold Torres (International Sales Manager) and Ling Zeng (Group Housing Coordinator) that helped make sure that our guests were accommodated. I can not tell you how many times we emailed with both Mr. Torres and Ms. Zeng about our wedding room block, guest reservation questions, and last minute accommodation changes over the months of planning; but with each request made, our questions were managed promptly and efficiently making us feel that our guests were well attended to.

As for the day itself, while the Mandarin moved proverbial mountains for our wedding day (and there were some Everests in there), the only thing that they could not change was the weather. So our planned private beach ceremony converted into an indoor event, but with the guidance and vision of our wedding planner, Lourdes Milian, the Mandarin staff did not miss a beat and our Plan B using Salon 3 of the banquet area was gorgeous. The reception area was equally beautifully transformed, drawing inspiration from the modern elegance of the Mandarin Oriental softened with cool, serene elements from the beach and the ocean (again credits go to our wedding planner). Service through our reception was impeccable from the attentive bar staff (we know this as our friends are at that age where we can tell a good wedding based on the timeliness in getting refills on beverages) to the servers making sure everyone got the correct order and that it met their expectations. I must say though, for me, I am SOOO glad that we had the tasting a few months before because I did not really eat much during our wedding and our tasting was one of the most exciting culinary experiences that I have ever had (I am a die-hard foodie by the way). In addition to the standard offerings that that Mandarin provides as part of the wedding package, Mrs. Wichser and Mrs. Milian suggested to us to consider having a signature beverage during our cocktail hour (we picked original Mojitos) and snacks at the end of the evening (Kobe beef sliders, grilled cheese, and french fries). Both suggestions could not have been more right and augmented our guests’ experience during our reception.

We spent a total of three nights at the Mandarin and brought along our faithful Shih Tzu for the event (oh yeah…. he had a tuxedo and everything). His stay at the Mandarin was nothing but spectacular. He had water and food bowls and a bag packed with kibble and handmade doggie treats. In addition to these amenities, the Mandarin provided a cozy dog bed which he quickly abandoned for the L-shaped couch in our suite and of course our bed, a complimentary dog walk once a day, and a fan adornment to wear on his collar indicating his “residence” at the Mandarin (for which he still wears). Our wedding suite was in one of the Biscayne Suites and this served as one of the main sites of my bridal ready pictures. It is a gorgeous suite with a wall to ceiling window (I will try to post a picture for you to see) that has a wonderful living area and 1.5 bathrooms. If I could have fit that bathtub in my luggage, I totally would have taken it with me, as it was that good. We spent two days in our bridal suite (our wedding night and the following evening), and again would recommend this to anyone considering a wedding weekend at the Mandarin. We were able to enjoy the pool the next day (which of course was beautiful without a cloud in the sky), and that evening when I ordered room service; I was greeted for the first time with a hello “Mrs.” instead of “Miss”.

“So why not the Plaza?” you may ask. Naturally, that would be more befitting for my pen name and would make sense as my now husband and I live in the city BUT we love the beach. “Why Miami?” My parents live there and being a child of a worldly hotelier in the area, who would be better to consult with and to have on our side as we went through the venue selection process. And now to the more important question: “Why the Mandarin Oriental?” Well it is not due to Justin Bieber’s affinity to this Miami hotel, that’s for sure (no disrespect to Justin Bieber but come on now…go to South Beach). It was because the Mandarin encompassed everything that we wanted from our wedding experience including luxurious accommodations, top-notch service, and a feeling of family and personalized care unrivaled by anyone else. We will see you all next year for our one-year anniversary along with our spoiled Shih Tzu and our hopefully well-preserved delicious lemon wedding cake to celebrate!

Room Tip: The Biscayne Suite was gorgeous and is worth the added investment.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,674)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

the hotel is nice but meed to refresh a bite the room as for the price you are expecting to received better room,
the service is the best i had in an hotel from the front desk, to the room service, bell boy ect...
the Spa was great.
A nice place to be, not the best Mandarin Oriental because of the room but the service provide you an excelent stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Cant fault this hotel
Rooms are exquisite, service is wonderfull and the views are tremendous
Not really a holiday hotel - too many business men and woman
it has a relativly small pool and small beach but is in a nice quiet location perfect for some R and R.
Nice to just walk around the island first thing in the morning and just soak in the views
My new favorite Miami hotel

Room Tip: Any room is excellent but as with all hotels in Miami the higher room the better
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Wonderful,safe location,with First Class Amenities, and employees that are well trained makes for a safe,welcoming environment.Rooms are very well done Most have fantastic views over the bay.Food and beverage well served and prompt, never over bearing.
We love the family of large Iguanas at the beach....! A $20-25 cab ride to South Beach makes it a favorite of ours, we will return!
Also, 5 minutes to Mary Brickell village, with 20 restaurants and dancing if you wish, with a serious Latin American flair.
The GM should be complimented on a job well done!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CONES3333
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here for the July4th weekend and had a wonderful time, every employee was professional, friendly, and helpful. The hotel was very crowded, and Justin Beiber was staying on the top floor so people were standing outside waiting to get a glimpse of him, this didn't bother me at all, I thought it was amusing. I really enjoyed the MoBar, and the bartender Eric was very friendly. I also wanted to note that the
Housekeeping on the 14th floor was outstanding, everything was immaculate in my room. I can't wait to return again!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for the 4th of July weekend, and we couldn't be happier with our choice. Amazing service, luxurious room, fantastic views, great location...the list goes on and on. The minute you arrive to the hotel you are pampered by professionals whose mission is to treat you right and make your stay as pleasant as possible. The suite we stayed had an amazing view of the city.

The only negative little detail we discovered is that the MO showers and bathtub have an impressive water pressure...which is good, but when the room next to us was using their shower/bathtub, we could listen to the 'water hammer' on the piping. As I said, not a huge thing, barely noticeable. Barely.

But other than that, everything else was majestic, excellent, and beautiful. We're definitely coming back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MIOG
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This used to be my favourite hotel. From now on; you're only someone that I used to love. Perhaps they underperformed so dramatically due to a perfect storm of challenging events. It is a holiday weekend, the World Cup is being played in a city full of Immigrants who are all as football (Soccer) mad as I am and to add insult to injury, a major young celebrity is in residence at the hotel. Along with the celebrity has come HORDES of young teenaged girls who have overrun the parking lot, the hotel lobby, the elevator bays AND the hotel BAR! There has been no apparent effort to restrict the access of these obviously non resident children who have been camped out here for days. Hotel guests have been forced to navigate around, over, beside and under them simply to get service. Perhaps due to the nature of the crowd, the usual calm sophistication and unhurried pace of the hotel has vanished and the edges are beginning to show serious wear. There were so many short comings on this trip and far too many opportunities to regret the bill prior to its arrival. A hotel of this purported caliber should never cause one to feel there is a value for money disparity. Your unique selling proposition should be that you are SOOOOO good, I forget how much it costs. While I still hold a particular fondness for the MO- Miami, I have had to draw several uncomplimentary parallels to the much vaunted Ritz Carlton service standards and the Regis' brand of sedateness(stuffiness depending on the POV)and I, for the first time, find the MO outclassed. More's the pity.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family