“They Need to Polish Their Act”
Review of Mare Nostrum - CLOSED

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I will most likely visit this place again and give them the opportunity to redeem themselves. They were almost there, but they didn't finish. The decor of the location is awesome. I'm a sucker for good design and this restaurant is designed amazingly well. Their menu is rather complete, featuring wonderful, fresh seafood options. Their wine list appeared on an iPad. Loved it. I was enormously disappointed by their SERVICE, however. Our server, sporting a bit of an attitude, corrected my pronunciation for my wine selection. The dolt apparently didn't understand that the wine I was ordering was Catalan and not French. The piece de resistance, however, came when we received our entrees. My partner and I both ordered mahi. I was served an attractive mahi filet, but my partner was clearly served something else. We couldn't figure out what it was, but it wasn't mahi. And, to make matters worse, I *never* order mahi, and my partner orders mahi EVERYWHERE! I've seen him eat mahi all over the US, Europe and Latin America. So, when my partner, in an enormously gracious manner, explained to the server that he eats mahi frequently and has an easy time identifying it, the waiter retorted, "It's all relative!" I nearly had a heart attack. Thankfully, my partner sent his entree back. Minutes later, the server reappeared and told my partner that the chef offered to prepare him another fish dish. My partner agreed and a little later another fish dish arrived, prepared perfectly. It is such a shame that the service -- ALL OF IT, not just our server -- was both unkind and unfriendly. Perhaps everyone was having a bad night. The food and drink were excellent, however. The atmosphere was great. And, all of the prices were reasonable. I will try this place one more time and I hope the service is better.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Chef worked in El Bulli and it shows both in quality of the food and the decor.
Hadn't heard of it when family member saw a flier and said lets go and try it. I never just try a restaurant and generally run for a mile if a place has to rely on fliers. My misgivings were reinforced when I found it was not on tripadvisor at all!
I Googled the name and city and found quite a few reviews on another well known site that appeared genuine so decided to try. All became clear when I realised the place has only been open 30 days.
Located on edge of business district, with a lot of tables inside and outside.
Decor was up there with anything anywhere and they have a fish bar/shop as part of the restaurant. The inside decor was superbly done with the wash rooms worth a visit on their own. This power dining but laid back and understated.
Bread home made and excellent. Wine list is extensive and esoteric with lots of high value as well as good value wines.
Food is Italian Spanish fusion
Spagetti Vongole was perfect with the pasta a little al dente as it is in the best Italians and quite superb. Various people tried Puttanesca, the 24 hour slow cooked Suckling Pig, Line caught Sea Bass cooked in salt and the Mahi Mahi: they all received rave reviews.
Deserts were also excellent and varied from Creme Brulee Catalan with Saffron to exotically flavoured Ice creams.
The unanimous verdict was this was probably the best meal we have ever eaten in Miami Since 1979 and by far the best meal we have had in our current 6 week stay which took in at least 15/20 meals out.
Service was spot on being friendly but unobtrusive.
Highly recommended for foodies and anyone who wants a special occasion.