“You get what you pay for”
Review of Shalimar Motel

Shalimar Motel
Ranked #74 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 16 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
There are newer reviews for Shalimar Motel

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel is not in a very nice part of town. The room was very hot and it took the old AC a very long time to cool it down. The guy at the front dest was very nice and he gave us a good reccomendation for dinner. Thank goodness that we only had to stay there one night. I dont think I would reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank detroitgirl1976
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Very clean, beds are comfortable, bathroom was in excellent condition. Have free parking, free wifi and Publix supermarket in 2 minutes drive. Staff was very helpful. Breakfast was poor though, they even have signs stating how many cups of coffee and pieces of pastry you are allowed..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alx G
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The other reviews must be fake. There is nothing "cute" or "comfy" about this place.
We walked in the room, looked around, and walked right back to the front desk to ask for our money back. The room was very sparse, the bed looked uncomfortable, and the noise from the street was loud. I've stayed in worse...but that was in third-world countries when I was in college. The guy at the front desk clearly had a lot of experience denying requests for refunds. Needless to say, we did not get our money back, (48 hour cancellation policy) and he said he would not be able to rebook the room, even though there were signs of 'no occupancy, reservations only' all over the lobby.
Happily we were able to walk away from this dump and find an infinitely nicer room at Casa Moderna for not much more money...vacation saved!
If Shalimar had a more liberal refund policy, especially when demand is high, I would have given them a few stars for solid customer service, but sadly, they get the lowest rating possible.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cjminnyc
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed one night, arriving late. My room looked exactly like the picture. Free parking. The clean, newly refurbished room had air-con, a new tv, free wi-fi, an iron and ironing board and a fridge. Helpful staff - they kept my bags for me after the 11am check out until I returned early evening, to be picked up by Super Shuttle for the airport. They also allowed me to use a bathroom when I returned.

Room Tip: I appreciated my room being at the back - away from the off street parking and main road.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AfroZami
Jelena V, Reputation Manager at Shalimar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2016

Dear AfroZami, thank you for your kind review, and we hope to see you again at the motel, kind regards

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was just looking for a 1-night stop over on my way to the airport. This hotel is, as others have said, very clean. I had a comfortable bed. The room is quiet, has off-street parking, a good tv, iron and ironing board, fridge. The airco was perfectly sufficient. The hotel is undergoing renovations, but this did not bother me. I asked for a quiet room, and I got one. Breakfast is limited: a bagel and cream cheese, juice and coffee (good coffee, though). The neighbourhood seems a little ropey, but at the same time within a few going north there are several upscale restaurants on the same blvd, and also an organic restaurant. This is fine for overnight and could be OK for an a few days.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back are quiet -- no street noise at all.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Enzos1990
Tiki G, Manager at Shalimar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear valued guest,
Thanks for your thoughtful review. We strive to provide a clean, comfortable room to all of our guests. We are currently in the later stages of renovating a few of our rooms, so the noise level is very minimal. Our continental breakfast features gourmet New York-style bagels, fruit, juice and coffee. However, we will be opening the Shalimar Cafe within the next 2-3 months, and it will feature home-made crepes and other breakfast items.
The MiMo (or Modern Miami) district in which the Shalimar is located, is an area that is undergoing a lot of change and development. As you mentioned, there are several excellent dining options within walking (or a short drive's) distance.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you consider the Shalimar again for any future visits to the Miami area.
All the best,
Andrew Mendosa
Manager, The Shalimar Motel

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Shalimar Motel for Labor Day weekend and didn't know what to expect since it was our first time booking this motel. Glad to say, we were pleasantly surprised at the great staff service who were pleasant at all times, and our room was very cute, clean and looked exactly like the pictures, and on a top floor. AC worked perfect after we figured out that the front desk has to activate it. No problems sleeping either, very quiet neighborhood....not dangerous at all. It's perfect because parking is free, buses are nearby and you can walk around & browse several shops and restaurants up and down Biscayne blvd. Not sure what other people who posted negative remarks are talking about. Those people must be too high class & snobby. Overall, a great experience and we'll definitely be staying here again! My hats off to the owner who has done a magnificent job at renovating this place to make it stand out from all the rest of the motels on Biscayne Blvd! Nice job!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DebbieCRod
Tiki G, Front Office Manager at Shalimar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear valued guest,
Thanks for such a thoughtful review! We are thrilled that you had such a pleasant stay here at the Shalimar. We strive to provide outstanding customer service to all of our guests. As you mentioned, there is a bus stop directly in front of our motel, allowing one to explore many of the area's diverse restaurants and shops. The owner has indeed done a tremendous job transforming the Shalimar into the clean, comfortable place it is today.
Thanks for taking the time to provide such a thorough review. We hope that you choose the Shalimar again the next time your travels bring you to Miami.
All the best,