Shalimar Motel
US$159
US$364
US$349
  • Pool
Miami Airport Marriott(Miami)(Great Value!)
US$185
  • Restaurant
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami(Miami)(Great Value!)
US$236
Hotels.com
US$157
US$123
US$632
  • Restaurant
Comfort Suites Miami / Kendall(Miami)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$232
US$203
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
All reviewsyogurtcontinental breakfaststarbucks within walking distancebus stop rightcleaned every daybiscayne blvdsuper shuttlebottom floordecent place to staymain roaddesign districtno elevatorroom was spotlessmini fridgenew yorkerstayed here for one nightthe breakfast area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here for a night before a cruise and we were pleased with the Shalimar. I had booked and paid online. We arrived and Clifford checked us in with no problems. We had two rooms; one queen and one king. Due to our questionable stay in Plantation FL the previous night our friends asked to inspect their room first. Clifford was very accommodating and had no issue showing us our rooms upfront. We were fine with the rooms. Not your typical but very European. No carpet which I think is a great idea since most hotel carpet is questionable in my opinion. The room was spotless and yes basic but fine with us. I liked it and our friends gave it the OK too. They were upstairs in the front and we were on the corner back 1st floor. They didn't mention any problems and we loved our room. We were by the gate and had a little ice cream table with chairs outside our door. My hubby was glad to park the car right by the room and sat at the table to smoke. They had cameras all over and I felt the car was very safe. The bus stop was outside our window and I didn't hear a thing through the night. They were very honest and helpful about where to walk and where not to walk. If you walk half a block toward the water you're looking at million dollar homes. We walked through the neighborhood and loved looking at the homes. We also walked down to the market for cigarettes during the day. The guy there was very nice although the store was questionable from the outside. Clifford was nice enough to recommend a restaurant and we had a great meal at the Egg and Dart, Greek restaurant. We were close to the port and drove to South Beach that night to check it out.
We would stay there again. From reading the other reviews I'm glad we didn't have any kind of run in with the owner. I wouldn't return if I did. Things to know: make reservations. This area doesn't take walk-ins. There was a damage deposit. Is this always or because of Spring Break? Not sure but I think its the norm. I can tell you this was 100 times better than the hotel we stayed in the night before in Plantation FL. We liked the room; no complaints and staff was very nice. They told us exactly what breakfast would involve in the morning and we were fine with it. I don't stay in a hotel for breakfast. BUT REMEMBER your breakfast ticket, that woman will not even let you take coffee to your room without it. I had to go back and get our tickets to get my coffee and bagel. But I guess they have issues with non-guest in this area so they are just doing their job.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the back corner room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tricia E
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have stayed here several times. I am not a picky person when it comes to hotels or motels. The main reason why I need a place is to hold by belongings, safe, and mainly affordable. This is as good as it gets for me without paying Hilton prices.its a pretty safe neighborhood. I always have a car and never not once has that been broken into. The cleaning service is wonderful and friendly however most of them don't speak English and never has anything gone missing. Even though this place does provide a safe I never use it. As far as the location its in one of the busiest streets of miami so the traffic doesn't bother me (imma city girl) now as far as why I didnt give it a complete five is because some times the tub does clog which causes you to take a bath and shower at the same time. Also the parking is somewhat inconvenient but its also free so I don't mind walking around from the back. Also this last visit kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I locked my keys in the car and while talking to the locksmith a women approached me and asked "do u stay here and let me see your room key" not thinking I politely showed her my key and continued my conversation. Then she interrupts me again and states that they have a dress code and I need to change. I had on harem pants and a spaghetti strapped shirt. I said I am clothed and at $537 I was as good as it gets. I was there for spring break.she backlashed and said that if I wanted to continue to dress that way I have to stay somewhere else because this was a business hotel. So upset I walked to the office because there were no signs and that was completely inappropriate... fortunately they don't have a dress code but it was the owner and apparently she is very rude and has a lot of complaints but there is no one above her that anyone can complain to. But back to the negatives no phone in room and 20 channels on tv and no elevator but its only 15 steps lol. But no one has ever stolen any credit card info, money, or any of my belongings. I just need a place where I can sleep and safely hold my belongings while I do "tourists" activities and much much cheaper than staying on south beach... hope this helps!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Jamayca90
Jelena V, Reputation Manager at Shalimar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2016

Dear Jamayca, thank you for your kind review, and we hope to see you again.kind regards

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

The motel is a very good choice for the money it costs, the staff (ask for Josh) very helpful and friendly. The breakfast included exceeds the normal standard!
Miami Beach is easy to reach.
Very recommendable!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank DrClimb

Dear Dr Climb, thank you for your review, we hope to see you again at the motel. kindest regards

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed for three nights in early February prior to our Cruise. Upon arrival, we found out that they'd "cancelled" one of our two rooms as the credit card had been declined. Two things wrong with that: credit card was fine and was used for the other room too, second, even though they claimed to have emailed us about this, no such record existed. After 30 mins of arguing, they gave us a second room at a higher rate!

- Female owner/operator is an absolute nightmare to deal with… yells and complains.
- Rooms on front of hotel VERY noisy! We could not sleep at night and thankfully, a much nicer
night receptionist, moved us to the back of the building.
- First floor rooms will hear loud noises from level 2 rooms all day/night.
- The neighbourhood is not the nicest, although it's fairly central and close to freeways.
- Continental breakfast was "OK" but long line ups for coffee etc were annoying and no room to
sit.

When we told locals we stayed there, they said "I wouldn't put my family up in that place!" Next time, I'll spend the extra $30-$70/night and book something nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for level 2 room in the back of the building and demand a renovated room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Shalimar is an old motel in a gentrifying neighborhood in Miami. Once home to prostitutes and god-knows-what-else, the neighborhood has cleaned up and is improving. We stayed here for one night on our way to Key West and it was perfect for that. The locks are horrible, the check-in takes forever (no computers) but the rooms are remodeled and clean and will meet your minimum requirements. Best of all, it's very inexpensive when Miami is usually very pricey.

I wouldn't recommend staying for a long time unless you are really easygoing and not looking for better accommodations. Try this for a night or two. I think you will be happy you did.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family