“A Great Time With The Kids !”
Review of Jungle Island

Ranked #22 of 356 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are closed recovering from Hurricane Irma and will be back in early 2018! Jungle Island is located between downtown Miami and South Beach. The park offers amazing animal exhibits, unique shows and up-close animal interactions unlike anywhere else.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 18 February 2008

What a terrific visit my family and I had Jungle Island. There is a special until the end of February '08, where you can get a yearly pass for the price of a regular admission. Our day began rainy, and there are covered walkways to reach each show out of the rain. The rain came and went, and we enjoyed all there was to see. Beautiful macaws and other parrots, petting barn, reptiles, a small everglades exibit, rare plant greenhouse, flamingos, Liger habitat (lion/tiger), primates, alligators, even three South African penguins. The Winged Wonders bird show was quite nice, and just like how it was when I was a kid, only better. Will return again to see the Tale of the TIger show. Definately a fun day for the family

1  Thank lauralei2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,727)

Reviewed 17 July 2007

We visited PJI recently on a trip to Miami (June 2007). The day after we were there, the name officially changed to JUNGLE ISLAND. So you can tell this is leaving the "Parrot" concentration behind. The day we attended was GOD AWFUL HOT...so it was hard to enjoy. There were also HUGE groups of day campers running around, so that made it a little hectic. We took in two shows (The one with the Cats and the one with the Birds...again, no longer limited to Parrots) and while they were enjoyable, they were not out of this world. The Bird show was the better of the two and we did have fun there, but I had liked the old Parrot shows more, they seemed to be more entertaining. Now it's more about conservation and the like, and while I'm all for that, it can also be kind of preachy and boring when you are just out for a fun day with the kids. I was surprised at how SMALL the place is...maybe because I'm just used to other venues, but I assumed this would be bigger. It also has a very odd layout, not so easy to get from point a to point b. ALL this said, it is a beautiful new place, lovely scenery and you can have fun here... I reccommend getting discount tickets someplace. We purchased an Entertainment book that had 2 for 1. For that price, it was not bad. Had I paid full price, it would have been too much. To my daughter (6) the highlight was upon entering when she got to hold a Parrot like a baby. For my husband, it was when he gave me a kiss an the parrot in a cage by the gift shop chuckled at us! :) For me, it was getting in the A/C after a long day out! And I DO agree w/ the poster who said $7 parking is a rip off... but par for the course I guess!

2  Thank BunChi11
Reviewed 29 June 2007

I am a Miami resident who loved the "Old" Parrot Jungle and Gardens when it was located in Southern Miami. Because of local area residents complaining, it moved to its present day location. When I visted there about a year ago, I was disappointed in it. I revisited there this week and was quite pleased at the progress and improvements they are making to the park.
Before going to the park, see if you can purchase tickets online by doing a search for discount Parrot Jungle Island tickets. Some sites offer them for a very reasonable price. I had 2 for 1 admission with my Entertainment book.2 for 1 coupon. You needn't pay full price.
The parking fee however is a flat rate of $7.00 (Why the attractions charge you to park on their property and visit their attraction is beyond me).
There are several animal shows within the park to see. There is the bird show which shows various types of birds from parrots, a condor and even a cassowary. (If you don't know what that is, you are in for a treat). Unlike the old Parrot Jungle show with parrots on roller skates, this show is more educational. There is also a reptile show and a show featuring various big cats (tiger, leapord) and chimp.
In addition to the various shows, there are numerous animals to look at as well as a petting zoo.
If you have never been, you are in for a treat. As far as food, you may want to wait and eat after you visit the park.

6  Thank Tyroltrekker
Reviewed 27 May 2007

It was A good thing to do in the afternoon, We went about 9-10 am Seen a show and walked around. I loved it, I am a parrot/bird lover since I own one myself I could not resist going.There is a lot of shows for the kids.I would do again!

Reviewed 25 April 2007

As a prior resident of Miami, I was looking forward to visiting the new Parrot Jungle on a recent trip back to the city. I was cautious based on the other reviews here, but loved the original Parrot Jungle so much, I just had to see the new attraction. What a disappointment. The new Parrot Jungle is ok, but not unique, charming, or special in anyway. The main draw continues to be the plentiful parrots. You can get up close to parrots for feeding and view all throughout the park. Bring quarters to buy bird food, because hand feeding the parrots is not to be missed. The bird show has been improved and expanded and was very good with lots of unique birds and informative. The wildlife show was not as good. It seems like they have outsourced this to some conservation group and we found it to be boring and too much of a commercial for conservation. One thing that was really annoying was that the landscaping was not marked in any way. They have lots of interesting plants and trees, but no signs to tell you what the stuff was. We trekked out the far end of the park to the plant nursery and found the same thing there. A big building with lots of plants – but no markers. The original park was well marked. The park is fairly small and I think that even if you stayed to see all of the shows and attractions it is probably only a three or four hour day (tops). I wouldn’t recommend Parrot Jungle over other attractions like the Miami Metro Zoo or the beach, but if you have time to spare and it would be ok to check out – just don’t put it first on your to-do list as the Miami Metro Zoo is a better attractions/value.

3  Thank cuffy.fla