“Waste of time and money”
Review of Jungle Island

Ranked #24 of 344 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Jungle Island is located between downtown Miami and South Beach. The park offers amazing animal exhibits, unique shows and up-close animal interactions unlike anywhere else.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Waste of time and money”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

The place is way over priced and not much to see. We went last Saturday and the weather was nice but the place was deserted .... For a good reason. The shows were the trainers bring out individual animals and talking about their behavior. I could have stayed home and watched it on National Geographic. They offer to take pictures with a large yellow python snake and charge $20 for the picture. You are not allowed to use your phone or camera to take a picture . Very disappointed in the visit. This place is on my never to go again list. Wished I had gone to Miami Zoo instead.

3 Thank SunRayss

• Turkish first
Hollywood, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“An overall disappointment in quality”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I hate to write a bad review; I really wanted to like Jungle Island. We took a family trip there (4 adults and a 5-year-old) and spent the day. While the experience with the animals was a good one, and that should really be the most important factor, I have to say that all the other details involved in the day were really disappointing. For the price you pay per ticket, I had high expectations. Here are some disappointing factors to consider if you're planning a visit:

1) Non-professionalism. Half the handlers walking around with the animals had NO identifying uniform; they were wearing civilian clothing. You'd think a big place like Jungle Island could afford to provide uniforms for staff AND enforce the wearing of them for identification and safety purposes. The trainers that worked with the tigers had no uniforms on, and if you ask me, one was inappropriately dressed in booty shorts (while handling the tigers??).

2) Quality of the shows. We attended 3 shows and only one was pretty good at best. The one we most looked forward to, the big cat demonstration, was little more than a plea for donations due to their endangered status. The stage was in poor condition, the equipment and materials looked really out of date, and there was a distracting TV show playing on mute in the background for the duration of the show (on a very old and fuzzy TV set). The animals in this show did little else besides be paraded out for 1 minute and then herded back inside with a bottle.

3) Quality of the accommodations. This item has 3 parts. The first is the quality of the restrooms. Old, infrequently cleaned, and "automatic" items that were out of order. The second is the cafeteria. This really annoyed me to no end. The food was terrible, and the prices were higher than airport fare. Example - I had a "turkey sandwich" that consisted of mushy bread, slimy deli turkey, and ONE piece of lettuce. This cost $8.75 plus tax. If I had been allowed to bring my own food, this would not have been an issue. Again, if you are charging an exorbitant amount for food, you better be able to at least provide quality and some dietary options - even in a zoo! The 3rd item is the outdated style of the main buildings and their lack of upkeep. The carpet in the main building was probably 30 years old and extremely dingy, and there were mass amounts of unused space in which old tables and equipment were just piled up with no regard to safety or looks. The cafeteria was dark, dull, and laid out in an inefficient way.

This is a zoo, and a zoo will inevitably be a little smelly and dirty. But I have been to zoos and animal sanctuaries that have been much cleaner and more professional - the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium, and McCarthy's Animal Sanctuary, to name just two. I would advise not wasting your money on this place if at all possible. I will be making a comment to the administration of Jungle Island.

4 Thank Alisha453
JungleIsland, General Manager at Jungle Island, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Alisha,
Thank you for visiting historic Jungle Island. We know your time is valuable and we appreciate the feedback on your visit. At Jungle Island we are committed to providing our guests an exceptional experience, and have shared your comments with our management and staff.

Additionally, we want you to know that we are in the process of revitalizing all of the facilities in the park including our shows and exhibits. This includes our food service operations, having recently formed a partnership with one of the leading food service operators in the country. Jungle Island will soon boast a complete transformation in the various food and beverage stations throughout the park, including the café.

In the coming few months, guests to the park will begin to experience a new and improved Jungle Island. We hope that you will visit us again and experience all of the exciting changes to Jungle Island.
Miami, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“nice place for childre”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

very clean, very expensive exept if you do the annual pass, great deal, show very bored but place very nice and perfect for the children

Visited November 2013
JungleIsland, Public Relations Manager at Jungle Island, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback! We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the park and hope that you visit us again soon!
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I got to hold a baby tiger!”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I think that the ticket price is a little high for the number of attractions, but we bought the tickets online and found a coupon so that helped. Also, we went on a weekday so it wasn't busy which was nice we were able to move through the park and sit up close during the shows. I think it is a very interactive animal park which was cool. The highlight of the trip was definitely getting to hold a baby tiger for which they say the proceeds in excess of the picture go to help with conservation so the way I figure it there is a tax deductible portion of a once in a lifetime experience :-)

Asheville, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not that impressed”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The website names Jungle Island "Miami’s premier entertainment destination" and they werent kidding. This place was more about the entertainment value and the money they can generate by making animals pose for pictures than the care of the animals itself (especially Smoky the monkey.... if I heard the trainers yell "Smokey... SMOKEY....smile for the camera one more time... uhhh). The exhibits were lackluster at best. I'm not really sure if this is being qualified as a zoo or more of a conservation center but it falls short of both. At $35 or so bucks a ticket is WAY overpriced and undersized as any kind of zoo. As a conservation center it didnt seem to be putting any of the animals well being first. We went to two shows while there, animal interaction and one dedicated to birds. The animal interaction was rediculous. If you want to put the animals best interest first then playing extremely loud music and having loud commentary should probably be cut out. I'm not surprised that they wont let kids sit in the first hand full of rows. With how loud and obnoxious it was its only a matter of time before one of the animals makes some kid a meal. The bird show was probably the best thing there. Although most animals at this park were born here so all they know is cramped spaces, loud music and performing. If your goal is have close encounters with certain animals (at a premium price of course) then this is the place for you. If youre an animal lover and have trouble seeing animals that are only around for making money and entertainment value then this probably isnt the place.

4 Thank Shannon R