“Small and quaint - but big on taste and value”
Review of Crescendo Jazz and Blues Lounge - CLOSED

Crescendo Jazz and Blues Lounge
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Have eaten here on numerous occasions and it has become my favorite place to go before the theater. The friendly and accommodating service are only paled by Chef Evelyn's exquisite down-home New Orleans cuisine. From the calamari with chili sauce or beef rolls ... the appetizers are only a start to what great things come out of their kitchen. Last trip we saw "fish and grits" on the menu but wanted shrimp and grits instead ... not a problem. That had to be the most delicious meal I have ever eaten ... the grits were made from scratch, creamy and smooth ... and the Roux with shrimp ... WOW!! Drink specials, appetizer specials and an awesome Cajun menu. The portions are plentiful, appealing to the eye and very moderately priced. Wish I didn't live on the other side of town - I'd be there far more often.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

We happened upon this restaurant while vacationing in Miami. The atmosphere is happy. The food is delicious Cajun, authentic. The music is awesome. If we lived in the area my husband and I would definitely frequent this restaurant.

Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

This contemporary designed club lounge puts you in the music with no seat more that twenty feet away from the performers. We enjoyed conch fritters, barbeque chicken pizza and the catfish plate. The five piece roots blues band made the evening as good as it gets.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

If you're into Blues, this is definitely the spot on Fridays and Saturdays. Awesome food, drinks and the music is lots of fun. Sometimes it can get a little crowded, so it's best to reserve a table. Parking is mostly on the street. Once inside (and paid the cover), you forget your worries and will enjoy the time spent here. If Mr. O is performing, you will definitely enjoy yourself. Good times...

Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

I was very impressed with Crescendo, especially after reading the mixed reviews! First, make sure to bring quarters if you are here before 10 p.m., because they don't have a parking lot, so you'll have to park in metered parking on the street, but after 10 p.m., metered parking is free! The restaurant has a nice vibe to it.  It's small and cozy, so it's best that you make reservations.  We had reservations, for a party of 7, so it was fine.  You walk in to a small lounge-like waiting area and the hostess takes your $10 per person, cash only, cover charge.  This wasn't an issue for us, since she made sure to tell me this when I made the reservation.  The money goes towards paying the live jazz band, which was so worth it!  The band starts playing around 10:30 p.m.  Because the restaurant is small, and our table was 2 tables away from the band, the band members told us to let them know if the music was too loud.  They checked on us at least twice about the noise level and even though we told them it was ok, I think they still adjusted it a bit, which was nice, that they were so attentive.  The noise level was perfect and the band was excellent!  There were only 3 members, but it sounded like a band of 10 and they played like they were playing for a stadium of people!  They really put their heart and soul in their music! They played jazz tunes, but also played popular songs, but in a jazz format, so I enjoyed that because I'm not really a jazz lover. For my drinks, I had the planter's punch and the strawberry-melon margarita!  Both were yummy!  For dinner I had the chicken-lentil soup and the Gnocchi chicken pasta!  Both were delicious!  The sauce that the Gnocchi was made with was absolutely delicious!  It was creamy and had mushrooms with sun-dried tomatoes! It was my first time having Gnocchi pasta, which is actually a type of potato/flour dumpling, rather than your typical pasta.  I think I would order it again, but with fettuccine, instead of the Gnocchi.  Everyone at my table enjoyed their food also, which is rare and we all said we would come back again, which again is rare for us to be unanimous about liking a restaurant!  Kudos to the owner!  She gets bonus points for 2 things!  First, she walked around and greeted her customers, which was a nice personal touch.  Second, when I realized she was the owner, I gave her some constructive criticism about certain items on the menu, not being available, and she quickly rectified it!  I appreciated her prompt response and the fact that she didn't get upset with me for saying it.  My friend commented to her about how long it took for the food to come out and she did say that the food is cooked to order, so everything is made fresh!  That makes sense, because in a typical restaurant, some things are prepared earlier in the day and just warmed up and some things are frozen, microwaved, and served to you, so you get your meal in 15 or 20 mintues.  It took an hour to get our food, but the time passed quickly, since we ordered appetizers and enjoyed the band!  Plus, it was well worth the wait!  Congratulations, Crescendo, I will recommend you to all of my Facebook friends!