“Worst Marriott I Ever Stayed At”

Miami Airport Marriott
Ranked #52 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Highland Beach, Florida
“Worst Marriott I Ever Stayed At”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

From the moment you walk through the front lobby you get the impression none of the staff likes working here. It seemed they all had an attitude. After checking in the agent at the desk never told up which elevators to take to our floor. Needless to say we ended up in the wrong bank of elevators and had to return to the front desk to find out which elevators we needed to be on for the concierge floor. I have stayed at many Marriott's and this had to fall to the bottom of the list. At 2PM they had no restaurant open, but you had to walk out pass the pool area into the Residence Inn for any type of food service. If you expected this Marriott to have a fitness center...FORGET IT. The fitness center was located in the Residence Inn. My wife and I were on the concierge floor of the hotel and we were expecting to have breakfast the following morning in concierge lounge...WRONG. It was closed even though it's suppose to be open on the weekends. My wife went to the lobby restaurant to get a coffee to take back to the room and was greeted by a waiter who was just not interested in getting her a coffee to go. I guess he though the tip would not be worth it. We were just so glad that we were only staying for one night and couldn't wait to leave. Next time we'll stay at the Hilton at the airport which we have in the past.

Room Tip: best advice...don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BCFeldmar
Raul U, Manager at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear BCFelmar,
Thank you for sharing your stay with us. We sincerely regret to hear that your recent experience with us was less than desirable. On occasion, to enhance the dining experience of our Marriott Rewards guests, we invite them dine at the Cane Fire breakfast buffet. We have an omelet station and array of different menu items to choose from. When designing our gym, we found it was best placed in the Courtyard to provide our guests with a larger, better view room to work out in. Our goal is to provide our guests with the ultimate guest experience and in your case we fell short, and I do apologize. We appreciate your feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to review the occurrences in an effort to improve the guest experience. We hope you give us another opportunity and visit us again.
Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Polish first
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My daughter, son in-law, and I went on a weekend trip to Miami. When we arrived, the staff was very friendly and gave great customer service throughout our stay. They accommodated us so well, even giving us a free upgrade to a suite for being a Gold member. The food in the executive lounge was quite delicious and attendant was attentive and professional.

Our favorite part was the convenient shuttle to and from the airport. It was always punctual, which made for a stress free vacation. And going to the beach was no problem; we simply took the free shuttle to the airport and then bus metro to the beach, costing only $5 round trip!

I've been to this hotel 7 times in the last 12 months, and I plan to return soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MarieG396
Dear MarieG396,
Thank you for your great feedback! I am happy to hear we provided you and your family a warm and friendly stay. We appreciate our loyal, repeat guests, and when available we enjoy the opportunity to upgrade our Marriott Rewards guests. Our chefs on property are amazing and they try to ensure the dining experience in the Executive Lounge is extraordinary, from the food quality to the customer service. At the Miami Airport Marriott our goal is provide a pleasant, “stress-free” stay for our guests. We love that we can provide our guests complimentary shuttle bus to and from the airport. With Miami Beach, Downtown Miami, and shops just minutes away it’s about providing our guests convenience. I shall see you again soon!
Rau Ulloa
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Quick stay after lengthy travel in before a drive to the Keys. Friendly staff, and very good restaurant downstairs (order the fish tacos and ricotta cheese cake!). Hotel seems a bit dated in the halls and rooms. All in all good for a quick overnight.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Atlgrlnoslo
Dear Atlgrlnoslo,
Thank you for sharing your experience as the Miami Airport Marriott. I am delighted to hear our staff was friendly! Our chefs work diligently in providing the tastiest and freshest menu options. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the fish tacos and ricotta cheesecake. Our hotel is a gem and every day we consider recommendations on ways to continue to beautify it. Thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you again on your next trip down to the keys.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I never try to expect too much when I stay at an Airport hotel, and this was my first stay at the Marriott here at Miami International. It was a rather unplanned stay...I had to interrupt a trip due to the flu, so I really didn't care if it was good or not...it had a bed and a bathroom. That was all I needed.

This was as a lot nicer than I expected. The rooms were comfortable and quiet, and I was given the luxury of staying until 2:00 pm the following day (which I used as I was recovering from the flu).

The food I ordered was delivered in a timely manner and it was excellent, and the staff who was working the desk both in the evening and the morning were superb.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noise...you'll be glad you did (unless you like watching airplanes...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear davidmeyer,
Thank you sharing your experience at the Miami Airport Marriott. I am happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations and your stay was quite pleasant. I am also happy to hear that our staff and delivery of the food was timely. Hope that you had a speedy recovery and hopefully on your next visit you have the opportunity to dine at our Cane Fire Grille. It’s delicious!
Lowell, Arkansas
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there one day prior to our cruise and one day after. Guest service desk people were very nice and professional. Employees at the restaurant in the lobby area were very nice. Prices at the restaurant were high, Quessadilla for $12 is too much, two small cocktail drinks for over $22!. Room and bed were clean and comfortable, however, there were only two bathtowels and only two face towels, no small washcloth. The bathroom was extremely too small, it was even difficult to close the door. Also, the bathroom door did not close because it was not lined up correctly. The door needed to be repaired. There was only one small soap bar, that was not enough for us. No free Wi-Fi! !, $17 parking fee!! The next time I am in Miami, I will book my hotel somewhere else.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ali M,
Thank you for your sharing your experience. I am so happy to hear our Guest Service desk were very nice and professional. In addition to our employees in the restaurant and lobby area were also very nice and friendly. We strive to provide our guests with ultimate guest experience during their stay with us and offer the most delicious and freshest meals. We are competitive to local hotel full service brands in the area. We do offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the lobby area for our guests and we are more than happy to provide our guests additional soap, towels, etc. if desired. Just dial “0” and our At Your Service department and it will be sent over to your room. I hope that you allow us another opportunity as it would be a pleasure to host you again.
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 13 July 2014

As a Platinum PREMIER (higher than Platinum level) member I am very disappointed in this hotel. There was 1 person working the desk at check in. I had to wait 15 minutes to check in. I was on the Executive Floor. She told me breakfast was in the lounge on Sunday. The lounge was closed this morning. I had to beg for the breakfast coupons in the restaurant. The staff here are a very interesting crowd with the exception of a young girl in valet who was very accommodating. She would have checked me in if she could have. The WIFI did not work. Nobody ever came to the room as promised. The desk told me it was down and they would try and have it reset. Finally the desk told me to call AT&T. The hotel is an older Marriott and in pretty good condition but the level of service is nothing more than that of a Days Inn. I will go back to staying at the Hilton Airport for my future stays.

Room Tip: West Tower has a more inviting feeling
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ariktravel
Raul U, Manager at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am happy to hear our valet staff was accommodating. The Concierge Lounge is open for breakfast Monday – Sunday (seasonal). On occasion we will have our Platinum Members enjoy full buffet at Cane Fire Restaurant for an enhanced dining experience. The front desk should effectively communicate any changes during check-in. It is through feedback we can address areas that are in need of attention. I look forward to hosting you again at the Miami Airport Marriott in the near future.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Marriott for two nights during a recent conference. The lobby and common areas (except the pool) was quite nice and new. But the rooms and hallways are older and in need of a complete makeover. The bathrooms are so small, cramped and old, it boarders on unacceptable.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear the lobby and common areas were pleasant. I am sorry you felt that the other areas of the hotel did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide our guests the best stay possible and when we fall short, we consider all possible ways to improve the experience for our guests. We have a variety of different rooms and if your room was not up to par and we were given the opportunity to move you we would have. We hope that you give us another chance to serve you again and hope to see you on your next visit to the South Florida area.