“Elevator issues”

Ranked #53 of 123 Hotels in Miami
Powder Springs, Georgia
“Elevator issues”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Why is a 9 floor hotel only have 1 elevator? This is ridiculous for a so called high rated hotel to only have 1 working when the place is full.
And to top it off no concierge to arrange transportation to the port
Shame on you IHG

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tracywpaul
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear tracywpaul,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay with us! I sincerely appreciate your patience as we are almost done installing all new elevators in the hotel. You are right about the problem during your stay. One of our elevators is about 1 week from completion, with 1 elevator left to replace. The old elevator was not functioning for a short time and the elevator technicians fixed it. In the next couple of months we will have all new high speed elevators replacing our older slow ones. Again, thank you for enduring the wait. We do hope you will come back to see a great new guest experience with our new speedy elevators.

Donna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We recently travelled through the US from Orlando to LA for a month. This hotel was our second stop and I couldn't have been more pleased with my choice. We got upgraded to a harbour view room due to my IHG membership - up on the 9th floor, we had a fabulous view of the marketplace and port right across the road.

Firstly the rooms were really good - large, comfortable and the beds and pillows were fantastic. I didn't think the place was run down at all. The reception service was fast and hospitable. And breakfast - which wasn't included - was good. All up we had a three night stay here and it was terrific.

I think the best thing about this hotel is the location - right across the road from the market place where there were plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from each evening. If you are cruising you couldn't get a better before/after cruise hotel I don't think as far as convenience is concerned.

In all a great hotel and I would definately recommend this to anyone, and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melisa L
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Melisa L,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay with us! I am pleased to know you were pleasantly surprised with our friendly staff, rooms with incredible views, our restaurant and the wonderful location. We are fortunate to have so many things to do so close to the hotel. We greatly appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights before going on a cruise. My husband is very picky, and we chose this hotel because of its location, as it was across the street from the cruise terminal. When I walked in the front lobby, I felt like I was at a 5 star hotel; the decoration is amazing, really colorful, and catchy. The check in agent was extremely helpful, was always smiling and eager to help. She had great knowledge of the area and gave us various tips of what to do in Miami, as well as on the cruise. Since this was our first time in Miami and on a cruise ship, we were completely clueless, bus she really helped us out (her name is Renata, so ask for her when you stay in this hotel). We felt like royalty.
Unfortunately, the rooms weren't up to par with what we expected and they need a little refurbishing, but it wasn't a "make it or break it" for us. Great service though, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Parking is expensive and inconvenient (valet). Restaurant is pretty good and offers good variety.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jessica J
Dear Jessica J,

Thank you for staying with us on your trip to Miami for your cruise! I am happy you had a great experience when you arrived into our lobby and interacted with Renata. I am glad you enjoyed the location and most of your hotel experience. I do appreciate your comments on the rooms. I am not sure which room you were in, but I do hope you will return and enjoy one of our bayfront rooms with incredible views.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I am an IHG Platinum traveller and always try to stay at Holiday Inn or IHG member hotels. This hotel provided me good access to downtown area, a few restaurants (Bubba Gump, Hooters, Hard Rock Cafe), as well as the American Airlines Arena (to attend Miami Heat games).

However, as a business traveller, this hotel failed miserably. The internet access is the worst that I have ever experienced in the US, with the link going up and down throughout my stay. At one point the SSID was changed in the middle of a webex session I was hosting to attendees from all over the world. Very embarrassing. After raising the question about the unstable internet access, the front desk had no idea what I talked about, but promised to send an 'engineer'. Im still waiting...

I was not able to do even basic things such as scan a document.

There was no desk in my room. I had to position my laptop onto a tiny corner coffee table where I had to conduct my work from.

My phone's buttons weren't pre-programmed, so i had to 'find' the front desk by dialling a variety of numbers i guessed. Eventually 0 took me to the front desk every time.

The bath didn't work properly, so only showers were possible. I asked for 3 x hard pillows. I was promised 'someone' will deliver... I'm still waiting...

Every morning my passage area was littered with pages upon pages of takeaway restaurants wanting your business for in room deliveries.

Currently the elevators in the hotel is under repair/upgrade, which meant that the average time you had to wait for an elevator could vary from 5 mins to 30 mins. Again frustrating if you're on the 8th floor and seldom get to see an elevator.

I think next time I will find a hotel that is better suited to a business traveller.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view to the front of the hotel. it gets better sunlight and better view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ASteyn
Dear ASteyn,

Thank you for taking the time to give us valuable feedback regarding your stay with us! I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations on your business trip. Your comments will help us get better, as we do value business travelers and want to make sure we have all the services and amenities you need. I am glad to hear you still enjoyed our great location. We do hope you will try us again on your next visit here to show you our improvements. We will complete our new elevator installation and internet upgrade in the next couple of months.

Michigan
Reviewed 7 April 2014

You can't beat the location of this hotel. It is right across the street from Bayside Marketplace in downtown Miami.

The hotel is nice, clean. Staff very accommodating. We arrived early after a cruise, our room wasn’t ready – but they kept our luggage so we could tour the area.

Our first room was right by the elevator – I asked to be moved, and they quickly found us a new location without issue.

They gave us a coupon for free breakfast – however when we arrived the next morning, they told us free was a small area of the buffet. If we wanted anything else it was an additional charge. I think it was only $4.00 extra per person plus the cost of your drink. It wasn’t a great breakfast, I will skip it next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear travel920,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your trip to Miami! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the location, our staff, and the clean hotel. I appreciate your feedback regarding breakfast, and have shared that with the team. Your comments are important as we always work to improve the experience of our guests. Please come back and visit us again on your next visit to South Florida.

Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 6 April 2014

What a great location. Right across the street from Bayside which is a great experience on it's own. Rooms were great, lots of room and very clean. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who may be staying prior/post cruise or just looking for a nice hotel in downtown Miami.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Llpotz,

Thank you for letting us know you loved our hotel during your recent stay! It is great to hear you enjoyed the staff, our great location near so much in Downtown Miami, and our clean hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback, and hope you will come stay with us again sometime soon.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We had stayed at this hotel in early 2014. Love the location for the American Airlines Center and decided to stay there again. Pretty much the same except the parking had changed. It is now only valet and costs $25/night. Not wanting to leave our car on a municipal lot, we chose the hotel parking. Felt $25/ night was a bit high. It's also in a great location for shopping and lots of restaurants. Great night sleep as very quiet!

Room Tip: We stayed on the west side and although not a beautiful view, it was quiet for sleeping!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen R,

Thank you so much for returning to stay with us again! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, especially the location and the quiet sleep you got. We changed the parking to insure all guests could park and have staff on 24 hours to make sure all is secure for our guest cars. I do appreciate your feedback. I hope you will stay with us again in the near future.