“Great stay for a night before sailing away”

Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown
Ranked #53 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at this holiday inn on a Saturday night October 5th, before our cruise left Sunday morning. We arrived by taxi around 6pm. Our room was immediately ready, check in process was smooth. We dropped our bags off in our room before heading out to tour Miami. Our room was spacious and clean. We had 2 double beds and the bathroom had shower/tub combo. There is a restaurant/bar on site which is very convenient. We met friends at the bar and we each ordered a fresh mojito per the recommendation of the bartender. His name escapes my mind right now, but his drinks were fabulous and he was so knowledgeable. He gave us great recommendations of where to visit that evening in Miami. The hotel is conveniently located right across the street from bayside market which is where we had dinner. There are a ton of restaurants, bars and shopping to choose from. There is a nice outdoor pool on site which we sat by the next morning before leaving. Our room was high enough that we could see the entrance to the port of Miami so if you are cruising out, the hotel is so close by. The cab ride to the port cost us $10. Overall whenever I leave out of the port of Miami it will choose to stay at this holiday inn.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear iluvdisney,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for your great comments about your stay! I am pleased you enjoyed our staff, the hotel, the great view, and our ideal location in Downtown Miami. I am happy you enjoyed our fresh mojitos in our lounge. I appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here during December 2013, other than the great location for taking a cruise and being located just opposite the Bayfront plaza, not much more going for it.
If all you are looking for is convenience in terms of location, then choose this hotel. Overall not very competitively priced for the standard of the rooms and facilities
The management are aware of the popularity of the hotel for its location and actually do not pay much attention to issues with the standard of the accommodation or the facilities
Would recommend that you rather choose a hotel - and there are many on Ocean Drive that a better ambience and boutique feel.........

Room Tip: Do your research well and compare the hotels along Ocean Drive before settling on this one!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear RoySingh,

Thank you so much for providing feedback regarding your stay with us! I am pleased you liked our location. I am truly sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We are an older property in Downtown Miami, and we have been recently renovated, and we are constantly working on projects to upgrade our hotel. As the General Manager, I can assure you we all work hard to provide a clean and well maintained property, and strive to insure exceptional service. We do have high standards, and I apologize you did not see that. It is true, we are not a boutique hotel on South Beach, but we do work constantly to insure our standards, product and service are high. I am sorry we dropped the ball during your stay.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I really liked this hotel. The check in & out process was quick & easy. There's a nice standard pool in the back and a small gym. The decor in the lobby was fun and colorful- just like something I imagined I would see in Miami. They have a memorizing bubble art piece as a room divider. There is a bar and restaurant in the lobby.

The main beach road is directly in front of the hotel but I never heard any road noise. Parking is "valet only" directly behind the hotel, you enter via 4th St.

My room was really large and quite comfortable. Two double beds and a large living area with couch, coffee table and chairs. There was a small microwave and mini fridge under the TV. There was also a desk to work at. My room had a great view of the park and cruise port.

There is just a tiny amount of counter space in the bathroom- not a big deal but just odd. WIFI was iffy- perhaps ok for Facebook? But not adequate to get any work done. I had to switch to my cell carrier to get anything completed.

I had seen reviews that complained about the slow elevators and there were signs saying new high speed ones were going to be installed but I never had an issue. I did try to take the stairs for some exercise but the door at the bottom floor said "emergency use" only so I walked up a flight and then took the elevator down. I wasn't there long enough to ask a staff member if there was a way to use the stairs to get to the lobby..

The best part of this hotel was the location. There's a McDonald's behind the hotel. A CVS drug store about a block away and a 7-11 2 blocks away. There's also a huge Ross in an odd little shopping area about 3 blocks away.

Be warned there are lots of beggars on the streets- during the day/early evening there are also loads of tourists milling around so it's not too creepy. In fact my male business associate told me he engaged several of them in conversation and found out lots of interesting info abut the area. But after about 10pm it's just you and them (for the most part) and as a female traveling alone it's just uncomfortable to constantly be asked for $$.

The Bayside Market place (an open air but covered mall) is right across the street with loads of shops and restaurants. It's open late every day with bands and all kinds of excitement. It's also incredibly crowded even on a Sunday night at 10pm!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay. The rooms are much larger than the back rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jen78703

Dear Jen78703,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for your great and detailed comments regarding your stay with us! I appreciate the time that went into that, so we can work on the areas that were a challenge, including Wifi and elevators. We will be complete with our elevator project, having all new elevators in the next couple of months. I do appreciate your patience with that and the Wifi, which we will address. I am happy you found the location great and had an enjoyable stay. We hope you will come back for another visit soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here for one night before our cruise because it was close to the port. Montana did a great job taking care of us and gave us the perfect room (911). This suite has a wonderful view of the cruise ships and the Bayside Marketplace. Having the Bayside Marketplace close by is a real plus, with plenty of shopping and restaurants. Also, this hotel is very close to Christ Fellowship Church, which is within walking distance of the hotel. We attending Easter Service there and really enjoyed it. We will definitely stay here again, pre-cruise.

Room Tip: Suite 911 is an outstanding room with a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken P
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Ken P,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know you had a great stay with us over Easter! I am happy to hear Montana took good care of you. We are fortunate to be located near some wonderful places in Downtown Miami. Great that you were able to attend Easter Service in the neighborhood. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel has an awesome location!
Right across from Bayside shopping/restaurants and close to the port! Short taxi ride to south beach
My husband and I decided to stay 3nights before our cruise. The front desk and bellhops were excellent to deal with. Very friendly and helpful as it was our first visit to Miami.

The room we had was a bit older but it was very clean and functional. Had a good view as well. We had a 3night AAA rate which made it very reasonable price.

The restaurant located there was really good food and breakfast yummy. Our servers were chatty and friendly as well

All over great stay! Would definitely choose this hotel again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear kormoto,

We are pleased to hear you had a great stay with us and were able to enjoy a few days in Miami! Thank you for choosing out hotel and for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We are fortunate to have an incredible location near so much- Bayside, Port of Miami, shopping, South Beach and much more. We hope you will be back to visit us again on your next trip to Miami.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night pre-cruise. Taxi cost $30 including tip from Miami airport. Check in was a breeze. We were attended to by a very cheerful young man. We had asked for, and were allocated, a high floor room overlooking the bay. The room was one of the refurbished ones, and suited us fine. No problems with it whatsoever.
We arrived off a transatlantic flight, and did not feel like food when we arrived. We went a short walk across the road to Bayside shopping mall, then back to bed as we had been travelling for 18 hours.
Next morning we went back over to Bayside and had breakfast at a Cuban café, who did a special of bacon, eggs and coffee for $5.95 if I remember correctly.
Check out was very quick, and the bellboy got us a cab to take us to the ship. Cost was $10 plus tip.
This hotel is perfect for staying a couple of nights either pre or post cruise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlasgowRobbo

Dear GlasgowRobbo,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn and for letting us know you had a wonderful stay! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the staff, location, room, and all we have to offer. We are in a location near so much, with easy access to the airport and the port. Please come back and stay with us again on your next trip back to Miami.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed one night prior to a cruise, small room, was all that we required. Breakfast was basic. Paid $250 night which was overpriced even though we booked 6 months in advance. Close to port though. Would stay again if got a better price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear gogo65,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay with us! I am sorry you thought we were overpriced. We do work hard to insure we are a good value and provide our guests with an excellent stay. We do hope you will stay with us again.