“Decent hotel close to cruise port”

Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown
Ranked #52 of 123 Hotels in Miami
Dolton
“Decent hotel close to cruise port”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Need a hotel to stay at one night before a cruise date so my travel group chose this Holiday Inn because it's super close to the cruise boat port in Miami. The hotel was super clean and the lobby is very inviting to the eye. Check-in was quick even though there was a short line. The front desk staff was very friendly. Our room was clean and it had a great view of the harbor across the street. The bed was comfortable. Liked that we could control the climate in the room.
Also, there is a great shopping mall with a wide array of restaurants just across the street (walking distance for sure).
CONS: 1. The room is sufficient but quite small compared to the price of the room.
2. The bathroom is sufficient but quite small.
3. Our bathroom door was broken - it wouldn't stayed closed. Offset by hinges I think.
4. The water pressure in the sink was terrible.
5. At check-in this hotel charges a $50 incidental fee which is refunded at check-out
which is standard at most hotels. Word of advice: pay this fee with cash and not
your debit card. The front desk clerk who checked me in charged my debit card
$228 INSTEAD OF THE REQUIRED $50 (supposedly by mistake). That's a huge
difference. Needless to say, I was very disturbed by the carelessness. Use cash!
6. There is NO CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST. The restaurant in the lobby charges.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the harbor view. The view makes up for the size of the room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FlyingSolo4e
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear FlyingSolo-4e,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to give us great feedback! I am happy you enjoyed your stay before your cruise, and found the hotel clean and the staff friendly. I really appreciate you giving us comments to share and so that we can work on improving the service we provide. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Donna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Avon, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The first time we stayed for a cruise. We were very happy with being able to walk to Bayside and see the marina from our room. The staff was very accommodating as we were given the wrong room at check in. It took no more than 10 mins to have it corrected. As we arrived a little earlier than planned we were able to give our bags to the staff to out in the bag check room and were free to sight see and grab lunch while we waited. The hotel was clean, spacious and quiet. We got awesome pictures of the port and marina from our room. We also discovered this fabulous Cuban restaurant in Bayside Marketplace called Los Ranchos,which is a must on every trip. There are taxis right in the front of the hotel which makes for a hassle free trip to the port. I have already booked for next year and can't wait to visit this hotel again. So much so I have recommended it to my friends as well.

Room Tip: Book a bay view room for fabulous pics. Try the Italian restaurant opposite the front desk.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear MrsTravelalot2014,

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay so much that you are already booked to return! We are honored you are making us your "home" when you travel to Miami. Thank you for letting us know you loved your stay, with the great location, views and wonderful staff. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit here.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We flew in to Miami on 6/10 to watch the playoff game. The hotel is steps away from the MetroMover station, the shops and restaurants, and the Arena. I did not need to have a car. If I will ever fly there just for the HEAT game, definitely I will stay in this hotel. If I visit Miami for a vacation, I will probably stay in Miami Beach.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear KyH33602,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to a Heat game! I am glad you enjoyed our great location, near so much to see and walk to. We do hope to see you back again on your next trip to see the Heat in action, and maybe you will consider us for a longer vacation since we are close to the beach and many attractions in the area.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Husband and I stayed here 2 nights prior to our Cruise. We arrived after flying more than 18 hours, and checkin was very easy and quick. Staff at front desk were efficient and we were in our room and relaxed quickly. All the staff we encountered made our stay enjoyable.

The room was basic, clean and quiet. Bed was good and bathroom was okay - we had everything we needed for our stay. And everything was clean and in working order. Room was quite large.

Staff in the bar were great. Cody made us feel very welcome and had a great sense of humour. The bar area was very relaxing. We had entrees at the bar both nights which were really good and tasty.

The location is absolutely perfect with the Marketplace being just over the road and a convenience shop just up the road. We were able to buy toiletries and extras for our cruise no problems. The area felt quite safe.

We would stay here again when in Miami as it had everything that we needed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philjulie
Dear philjulie,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your trip to Miami for your cruise! I am happy we provided all you were looking for- great location, wonderful staff, and clean and comfortable rooms. We do hope we will see you again soon on your next trip to Miami.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked two rooms at this hotel back in May 13 for our pre-cruise trip in April 14. The hotel charged my credit card for one of the rooms in January this year even though the booking rules were that the card was only to be used for guarantee purposes (we could cancel up to 2 days before). The hotel disputes they ever charged the card and now that I have raised a dispute with my credit card provider they have provided 'proof' that relates to someone elses reservation and for different dates. Don't ever try to call the hotel as they wont take your call, or answer emails, and as I was calling from the UK I am sure you can understand how costly that is. I will name and shame J Quintero and James Baum who said they would look into my complaint as a matter of urgency and never did anything about it.

So if you want appalling customer service, charges to your card that you did not authorise the Holiday Inn Port of Miami is your hotel. Please beware as you would expect better service from a well known brand like Holiday Inn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank JPm_64
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear JPm_64,

First of all, please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience we caused you! I am truly sorry about any confusion with your credit card charges and our mistake. Please let me know if there are any outstanding issues not resolved. My team was surprised you felt they did not respond, as they thought the communication and resolution was appreciated. To our knowledge, all was corrected with your card, and you were compensated for your inconvenience. Please let me know if that is not the case and we need to assist further. Again, I am very sorry we caused you any problem.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

There are only 3 things good about this hotel. The wonderful wait-staff who work the hotel's breakfast buffet, the kind cleaning staff, & the location. Everything else pretty much sucks. I stayed at this property last yr for 1 night & thought it was great but apparently I was just lucky. This time I'd booked & prepaid for 5 days (2nights before then 3nights after a cruise to the Bahamas).... the mishaps are so lengthily I will try & keep them short.

Arrival day 1...placed in a room that smelled like a damp moldy cave, transferred to another room,
day 2... I was called to bring my credit card that I gave on day1 back downstairs again & my key cards were turned off

Evening of day 2... cable goes out

Next morning denied a late check out (initially), & was then told by the most condescending rude person I have ever encountered at any hotel (who identified himself as the mgr on duty). that my post-cruise reservations did not exist, & that I needed to "Contact whoever you gave your $ to because its not us." 2mins later I provided proof that my reservations had been confirmed 5months in advance yet there was no apology or explanation

(However, a call to customer service seemed to assist immensely with his rudeness, magically facilitate a late checkout, and my introduction to the GM who was wonderful).

Day 3.... return & placed in a room that this same mgr goes out of his way to tell me has a great view. When I get there the windows are blocked by piles of paint cans, cement bags, bucket, & ladders,
We move again with all of our luggage into a room where u can smell the mildew when approaching the door. UNBELIEVABLE! So I decide to try & suffer thru the 1 night & look for another hotel .... but I call the mgr up so he can get a 1st hand whiff .... & he pretends as if he cant smell it then blames cleaning materials, however he offers me a room that doesn't smell at all like the mildew he supposedly couldn't smell.

Mistakes happen.... but own them.... having a liar or those who lack integrity in management never ends well.

My Last Night, night 5... I received a bill under my door charging me for part of the reservation that was fully prepaid months prior.

Never Again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank 13VeeP
Dear 13VeeP,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay with us! I am sincerely sorry we dropped the ball during your stay. I do not want to offer any excuses, as we do expect our guests to receive outstanding service and we did not take care of you. If you could send me your contact information or get in touch with me, I would welcome talking with you further.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This Hotel is pretty average. My husband and I were glad we were only there for one night prior to boarding our cruise.
The staff here were somewhat helpful with providing directions around miami port. Male staff not very attentive when I had to carry big bags on my own.
Overall, hotel is good to use only for sleep.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Joanna L,

We appreciate you staying with us and thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay! I am sorry you only found the hotel ok for one night and you did not have an excellent experience. I am not sure if you had a problem during your stay we did not address, and I welcome you contacting me any time if you want to discuss it at all. I apologize that we dropped the ball.