“Amazing Location, Tired Hotel”

Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle
Ranked #81 of 125 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Grove Isle has a great location - surrounded by water and incredibly peaceful surroundings in Miami. It feels away from it all. Another plus is the staff at the hotel, particularly those supporting meetings. They were responsive to our needs. However, rooms-wise, the hotel is simply tired. The furnishings are a bit dated and the A/C was all over the place (incredibly hot, then incredibly cold), which made it difficult to get a good night's sleep. I would also mention that the restaurant was very slow and the choices are relatively limited on the menu. Overall, Grove Isle could be a spectacular hotel, but right now, it's just not there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Kelli E

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was our 2nd time staying here and it was as good as the first. Ironically we were given the same room as the first time and that was about 3 yrs ago. The service and tranquility is superb!!!! The first time was a birthday surprise and the second was just that we needed some alone time. We so love this place and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The Hotel is located on a very small and private island closed to Coconut Grove area. On the island there are only the Grove Isle Hotel & Spa and 3 condo buildings. It is possible to walk around all the island in 40 minutes or less. The small island was far from everything and so the place is very quiet and relaxing. We decided to stay here one night after 4 weeks holidays and before came back home and we really appreciate the place and its atmosphere. It was very romantic!
We booked the bayfront deluxe room and we were very lucky because we were upgrated to the corner suite (it was off season). The staff (at the restaurant and at the reception) was very friendly and helpful. We had dinner and breakfast a la carte at the restaurant. The food was delicious. The presentation of the dishes is also very nice. I think I would come here again. Highly recommended! Sorry if my English is not perfect but I am not English mother tongue.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I wouldn't say anything bad about this place nor anything amazing. I am glad is was a family trip here because if it was just my husband and I we would have been disappointed.
Pros: Cheap
Safe
Great location
Friendly staff
Cons: Rooms/ bathrooms are average need updates
Our balcony view was obstructed by palm trees.
Restaurant wasn't open when we wanted an early dinner
Just had that "dead" no life around feel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My friend and I drove to the east side of the state from Fort Myers to bike Key Biscayne. We decided to spend the night in the area and maybe get another bike ride in the next day. I loved the name Coconut Grove which was just south of Key Biscayne so we thought maybe there would be something reasonable for us there. We drove down this little road and over a bridge to a little Island in the middle of no where with the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa on it. We figured it would cost a fortune and told the "gate Keeper" we were just turning around. The place looked too expensive for us. They encouraged us to check it out anyway. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad. So what the heck...we drove to the hotel and the vale asked if we were checking in. We told them no...just wanted to see if there was anything we could afford. They were so polite and opened the doors for us. We arrived in our biking spandex and shirts and all sweaty from our ride. We were greeted by Rodolfo Quintero, the banquet manager with the most respect and assured they could find something affordable to accommodate us. Not only did they do that, but also gave us a full breakfast coupon for two worth $14 each. The room was great, view spectacular. Everyone was so friendly. The vale (all complementary) brought our car around within minutes of us asking for it. Everyone was so friendly and pleasant. Like they really wanted us there! I would return and recommend it fully to anyone visiting the Miami area.

Room Tip: I noticed that some room views may be blocked by the beautiful gumbo limbo trees. Ask for a room tha...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Diane12345155
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed here for my wife's b-day, what a mistake. The hotel could be great, but its not. The hotel has a restuarant and spa on site. Restuarant was great worth going again, but the spa and hotel blow. I made reservations for the spa and restuarant a week in advance, we arrive and they have my wife waitning for a hour. Then they tell her that the masseuse isnt coming that she was involed in a car crash. It just didn't make sense she should have called before the appointment not calling a hour after. So I asked where they accident occured and the receptionist didn't know what to say and give me a address that you can tell she made up I work for the police in the area, so I checked, no accident. Then we find out that we where they only appointment that day (my guess is that she just didnt want to come for one person). The hotel was not willing to do anything to make up for their lack of service, witch was not our fault. I reserve a bay view room and get a tree view room. I asked to be moved to a diffrent room, the receptionist didn't want to accommodate us (mind you the hotel was empty and I was only staying 1 night) The rooms look outdated and you could tell that several things in the room were falling apart and instead of fixing thing correctly they would just cover them up. Just to name a few, counter top on night stand was completely lose almost fell on my foot, under the sink in bathroom you could tell they had a leak, It was black with mold, light fixture were hanging from the ceiling (not because they were suppose to), I had to hand tighten the knobs on the closet because they came off, they only gave us one robe, the T.V. picture was horrible (they were still running on analog). Thier was much more. Also checkout was at noon, the cleaning lady started knocking on my door at 8:30 am I answered the door and advised her when we would be check out and she came back 2 more times before we left. If you have no concept of what a nice hotel is stay here. This place really sucked.

Room Tip: Dont, there our no good rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kraken187
Reviewed 6 September 2013

It's very hard for me to figure out how to rate this hotel. I was lingering between "average" and "very good" The reason is because unless you leave the area, there's really nothing to do on the island. So I'll give you the good and the bad:

The Good:
-The area is very relaxing and quiet. The hotel is on a (very) small island (possibly manmade???) near Coconut Grove. The island has 3 large condo buildings, one hotel and a restaurant. That's it. When we were here, there was pretty much no one in the hotel. I think we saw about thirty people in total the whole time we were here, and most were either workers or probably lived in the condos. Though I guess it is off-season.
-Awesome view of Biscayne Bay. If you do come here, pay extra for the Bayfront rooms and try to get on the fourth or fifth floor. The breeze coming off the bay is wonderful and really cools things down to a reasonable temp. The weather was extremely hot and humid here, and it was a nice break to come back to the breezes on the island.
-The rooms (at least the one we had) are very nice. I read some other reviews that complained the building was outdated, and there are some areas that could use a little help - like new cushions on the loungers by the pool, some paint was chipped in some areas, small things like that, but the actual room I stayed in was beautiful. A bed, and full couch in the room, a double shower head, all granite counters,.etc. Very pretty.
-The spa. The spa is really nice and my husband and I were both pleased with our massages. With the massage came the use of the steam room and whirlpool.

The bad:
-You can walk around the whole small "island" in about an hour. There's one (very expensive)restaurant, with a full bar a small tiki hut bar where you can get some snacks. One decent size pool, a spa, hotel and condos. I didn't get a rental car, because I assumed I could go swimming at the beach while I was here. BUT there is no beach. Within the first day we were here, we were already bored and called up to rent a car. Funny thing is, I was in South Beach for work and moved to this hotel because I thought it was a little cheaper than hotels in South Beach, and I didn't really understand how far everything was. Nothing is within walking distance. We did take a 25 minute walk to Coconut Grove, but in the heat, it was brutal. And all there was to do was shop. By the second day I rented a car. Now with the car, payment for parking ($24) and the extra "resort fee" they charge ($25 a day), I could have stayed in South Beach for cheaper.
-The cost (see above) plus the bar not only adds the gratuity to the bill, but all a service charge. So for my $87 bill, $36 oif it was gratuity and service charge. The parking fee is $24 a night.
All being said, if you can get over all the extra charges and have a car, it is a night place to stay and relax.
Tips - Make sure you rent a car.

Room Tip: Get a bayfront room on the 4th or 5th floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WeirdNJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
The Mutiny Hotel
#48 of 125 in Miami
Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

Been to Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle? Share your experiences!