“Asleep at the switch”

Ranked #83 of 123 Hotels in Miami
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Asleep at the switch”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

A beautiful location but the service is terrible and there seems to be no one in charge. We ordered two drinks for dinner and the waitress without asking had them made with premium liquor, charging $13 each. next they automatically added a 20% service charge. The "breakfast package" which supposedly is a full breakfast includes only one item on the menu. There was only one robe in the room, the bidet did not work, there was no HDTV, and the thermostat didn't work. Additionally, the maids had not cleaned the room by 4 PM the next day. $273, plus $66 in taxes, and $24 a day for parking. They have seen the last of us!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jeff s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Recently stayed at this small hotel, whilst the rooms are slightly dated the hotel is set in an amazing location, stunning views and an easy drive into downtown Miami. Food is great, even had my hair done on site…. would definitely go back for a couple of nights.

1 Thank Alison V
Portimao, Portugal
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This hotel does a great job convincing potential brides & grooms to hold their event here, but once they've got your cash, it becomes a stressful experience. They booked my daughter's wedding for 4 pm but neglected to inform her that guests can only check in at 4 pm - so where were they supposed to get dressed for the event?? They offered a "special" rate for a block of rooms but then we discovered lower rates not only on sites like Expedia, but on the hotel's own website! Communication with staff is nearly impossible because their emails were practically illiterate. I got the runaround from the manager, who apparently tries to pass people off to others so as not to have to make any decisions.

My daughter's fiancé decorated the outdoor venue with pretty lights and was offered a fair amount of money by the hotel to leave them there. The following day, just before another wedding, they changed their minds - we presume they thought we'd just leave the expensive lights. We didn't - hope the next couple didn't mind getting married in the dark. Why don't they have their own lights?

We were not permitted to remove any of the leftover food from the catered event, even though we had obviously paid for it.

The hotel itself is a bit of a relic, but supposedly it is going to be demolished and rebuilt, so perhaps that's why they don't bother much with upkeep and maintenance. Food in the restaurant is good, but overpriced.

At checkout time, they had included valet and resort fees that were not supposed to be included in the bridal package and it took me quite some time to get it adjusted.

The wedding was fantastic, but only because my daughter and her husband planned it all themselves and provided the lights and decorations.

3 Thank Zilana13
Pennington, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I can't think of one positive thing to say about this hotel. I was so disappointed, and I am not a pessimist!

The problems I encountered during my 4 day stay (I left a day early because I had enough!) were:

1) I reserved a room with 2 queen beds (there were 4 of us) but got a king with a pull out couch. There were no other choices. They were booked and must have given away my room because I booked thought Expedia.

2) Asked for a pull away cot...they said they were all out of them. So, I slept on the pull out and my daughter slept on the ceramic floor on the couch pillows. (They actually gave her instructions on how to properly sleep on the floor!). "Take the cushions off the couch, and we will bring up extra sheets." No blanket, just extra sheets!

3) $24 extra a night to park your car. No choice but to use the valet service, which was a total pain in the neck....waiting, waiting, and if you have to get up early and get out, no one is there to get your car! I had to search from someone to find my key each morning.

4) Cleaning service arrived...promptly...at 4pm everyday! When they finally got around to cleaning the room, they would leave one, maybe two towels for four people. No hand towels, no face towels...just one, maybe two if we were lucky, bath towels. Every day I had to call housekeeping (they rarely picked up) to order more. Never managed to get the hand or face cloths.

5) Rooms are very dusty! There was dust everywhere.

6) No extra anything for breakfast, like most hotels. Coffee and tea (after 7am). If you arrive by 8am, the coffee is gone and there are no more cups. If you ask for more, they don't offer it.

7) They have one (and only one) restaurant that actually has a nice atmosphere. However, we spent close to $250 for ceasar salads and chicken enchiladas (no beverages). The menu was quite limited.

8) We wanted to watch a movie while it was raining one day. Went to pay the $17.99 for the movie, but when we paid, the movie would not start. Ended up calling the front desk and we were told the "major switch" to run the movie was not working. Great!

9) No fridge, no microwave, no nothing in the room. The pics on the website look so much better then the rooms you end up with. Terrible!

10) Today I am going to call Expedia to see if I can get my money back for the last night. The hotel would do nothing to accommodate me because I did not book directly through them.

There are lots of beautiful hotels in the Coconut Grove area... do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. This hotel ruined my stay in Miami. I left a day early, and I will never return.

Room Tip: Awful!! Stay somewhere else!
6 Thank Lynn L
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Repeat guest, enjoy the on-site facilities, friendly staff, centrally located. Have been to hotel over 20 times and never had a bad experience. Fantastic views of the Bay, great jog around the facility. Will continue to stay at the hotel in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank landev03
Ottawa Canada
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We decided to forgo the south beach business after our cruise. Found this place and am so glad we stayed here. No beach but a jogging track around the perimeter. Big room which was lovely. Needed a big space after small cruise bedroom. Yes the decor especially in the bath could use an and update but it was still quite nice and clean. Staff was very helpful, especially Jesus. I wanted a cab to take me shopping and he said it would take a while. However, there was an employee named Melissa who was right outside and he said she would be happy to drop me off. Well Melissa is a lovely young lady from Equador and we had a nice time chatting and kindly dropped me off at a supermarket ten minutes away. She also adamantly refused any kind of reimbursement. Thank you Melissa, you are very kind. Servers and bar staff great. Wonderful service in a quiet and quite pretty location.

Room Tip: We stayed in 204. Beautiful view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Grant, Florida
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were extremely pleased with our experience at the Grove Isle Hotel. The room we had (least
expensive) had a fantastic view of Marina and Key Biscayne. The decor and furnishings were
very nice including tile floors, especially tile in bathroom wiith marble shower and granite counter.
There are dimmer light switches throughout and even a phone in bathroom. The bed was very
comfortable. The A/C worked very well and not too loud with nice controls on the wall. Two double
glass french doors lead out to large balcony with very comfortalble furnishings there also. Our
room was extremely quiet even being directly across elevator. The lobby and restaurant are beautiful with quality throughout. All the staff were extremely helpful and met our every need.
The lush tropical grounds were beautiful right on the water everywhere you are. Great walking/jogging path right off water with playground for kids also. There are also four lighted tennis courts and spa. Loved this place and will definately stay here again when in area and highly recommend! Oh, also right in the heart of beautiful Coconut Grove with plenty of other restaurants and shopping to enjoy just a short drive away. Loved this place and will definately
stay here again if they still have the Florida Resident Rate Special!!

Room Tip: We had the least room and it was excellent in every way including a fantastic view of Key Biscayne...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
The Mutiny Hotel
Mayfair Hotel & Spa
Mayfair Hotel & Spa
#47 of 123 in Miami
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

Been to Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle? Share your experiences!