“100% Approval From Hotel Snob”

Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle
Ranked #83 of 123 Hotels in Miami
Ohio
“100% Approval From Hotel Snob”
Reviewed 9 February 2010

We had the pleasure of going to this years Super Bowl and decided to try Grove Isle Hotel and Spa after looking at their website. I am very picky about my hotels and to say I look the rooms over is and understatement.

1. The Staff were wonderful and the front desk person took us on a quick tour when we got there. The valet parking guys were over the top nice and I was impressed when using the elevator that the staff would wait until the next (not that I cared). We did pay a valet fee and tipped several times however, it is clearly stated and the guys were quick and willing to help with directions.
2. The room was extremely clean and I am the type who walk into the bathroom first and look at the floor corners first. I know sounds funny but after seeing 60 Minutes stories about rooms has ruined me. The room was cleaning in the AM and then at night we had turndown service and towels were refreshed again. I guess if I had a complaint it would be the extra resort charge we paid for things like water in the room. Maybe they should include free cookies or something like that. They did have a basket full, refrig full and wet bar of items to purchase (way over priced like everywhere else).
3. Location was out of the way which we liked but easy to find. The little town of Coconut Grove was very close.
4. Pool and bar area are good but to be honest I only used once. Again, if I had a complaint it was no one came over to ask if I wanted a drink but not willing to make a big deal of it.
5. The restaurant Gibraltar. We decided to have dinner there instead of going to Emeril's place after looking at his prices. I want to give some extra points about our dinner.
The staff and expecially our waitress were unbelievable. I totally disagree with anyone who does not give them a good rating. We ordered several items from salads, chicken, swordfish and finished with desserts. They brought fabulous breads with two different spreads, two appetizers for us to sample and always filled out glasses not in a pushy way. We decided to try two different desserts even though we were full and let me tell you, the key lime pie was over the top including a topping of shaved white chocolate. They finished the meal with two plated chocolates. We even asked the staff to raise a divider that had been lowered as it was a little windy and they immediately raised it so we could enjoy the view.

Bottom line, worth every cent. I would go there again and again but as we are from Ohio, I don't know when we will ge back. I thank the entire hotel for giving us such a great experience.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PleasedOhio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
California
Reviewed 17 January 2010

How very sad. This hotel used to be a jewel in Miami with a fantastic view on a secluded, yet very convenient, island. I have been coming for over 20 years! New management took over in late 2008, and it's been downhill ever since. Baleen's - the prior restaurant - has been replaced by an ill-conceived Gibraltar sporting "British" club food. Maintenance has been deferred everywhere. Staff is pleasant but poorly trained. Rooms are OK, but far from their prior level of luxury. Most disappointing is the outdoor party space, with a new tan tent top and a sloppily power-washed wood floor. This isn't even a gem-in-the-rough anymore. Just avoid it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank evoga

Travellers are raving about these Miami hotels

New Rochelle, NY
Reviewed 5 January 2010

They cancelled our reservation and it was the present from my mother for our wedding. Dreadful. Dont even count on these people. Horrendous. Do not trust these people with a reservation. Imagine this, you plan a trip to Miami, spend the $ to get there, and you receive a call saying your place is no longer reserved.
Tred carefully with these people my friends, tread carefully

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank WeddingGroom
NE Ohio
Reviewed 30 December 2009

My husband and i wanted a quick Christmas cruise get-a-way. We've been burned a few times traveling the same day as the cruise departure day and since it was only for four days we didn't want to waste the first day tired or concerned that our flight would be delayed. We usually stay in South Beach but we wanted something different. American Express offered a great deal on Grove Isle but when we read some of the reviews we were a little concerned. The experience was great! From check-in to check-out the staff was great. The restaurant is brand new - if we understood correctly they just recently brought in new management, menu and chef. Since this was our first time, I can't comment on the past, but our meal was wonderful. I agree however with other previous comments on the automatic gratuity. I don't like having someone decide what the tip should be. It felt a little cheap to have this added to our bill. We loved the outside firepits. It was a beautiful way to spend our evening. While sitting outside the bartender had the restaurant make us a cheese/fruit tray and checked back with us regularly. My only regret was that we didn't even use the spa. You can bet next time we will - there will certainly be a next time!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
greenacres florida
Reviewed 8 December 2009

We used to love this hotel, we had stayed in the past several times. We loved it so much that we planned to spend our wedding night there. I had made the reservations in April for a January stay. We stopped by the hotel last weekend for lunch, one month before our wedding, and I handed my confirmation print out to the front desk. After much key punching into her computer I was told they "never got the reservation" in spite of the fact that I had a document clearly showing a confirmed reservation. After a time the general manager became involved and we were told that he was going to be unable to honor the confirmation, since a corporate client had booked the entire hotel and no rooms were available. I asked him what he would have done if we showed up on after our ceremony, confirmation in hand, for the night. We were told "he didn't know what he would have done". Throughout the entire process we didn't feel a whiff of remorse, regret, or contrition for their failure to have a room available for a confirmed reservation. There are many fine hotels in this area offering better value and more congenial staff. We will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trwGreenacresFlorida
atlanta
Reviewed 8 December 2009

cant say enough about how fantastic this hotel/spa is - Wonderful food, wonderful amenities, beautiful scenery- relaxing, relaxing, relaxing, staff fantastic especially Kenneth Tutt -dont miss out on this gem of a vacation spot-rooms out of this world

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Mexico City
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Having stayed there for a business meeting, this Grove Isle value for the price payed was not enough: Rooms were somehow comfortable (although old AC was quite noisy), views were breathtaking, food was overpriced, restaurant policies made no sense -we sat at Baleen Restaurant and while deciding what to have for dinner someone came along with the Bar Menu (just a few meters away), we asked to be served this menu's food and had a negative answer and when we finally decided to go to have dinner at the bar instead, we were charged over $100 usd for two bottles of water and one cup of wine (none of them was "special")-.
On top of all these, there was the credit card incident. While checking in, we had trouble with the corporate card credit limits and gave the personal card instead. But, we specifically asked them to please wait for us to solve the corporate card issues before charging or asking for an authorization. Of course they didn't. And finally the day we were checking out they made an awful mess with both our corporate and personal credit cards. For one of my colleagues, they first double charged her personal credit card and charged nothing to the corporate card. For me they caused my personal card credit to be blocked (so long for my weekend shopping). We spent the next half day (a beautiful, sunny Saturday!) at their offices trying to make them (quite concerned, sweet but incompetent girls) understand what needed to be done and still they messed it up. My colleague ended up with a charge to the corporate card of 150% of the total amount and a credit to her personal card of -50% of the total amount.
If you can avoid it: DO NOT STAY THERE!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank SurfingRose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
The Mutiny Hotel
Mayfair Hotel & Spa
#47 of 123 in Miami
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

Been to Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle? Share your experiences!