“Cultural Excursion” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #79 of 121 Hotels in Miami
stormyapplesauce
“Cultural Excursion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2007

We were able to stay only one night on our way to Key Largo. Nothing can beat the fluffy bathrobes and ooey gooey blueberry pancakes delivered hot to our room. Sadly, the room service was a full half hour later than we ordered, but nonetheless, it was good. We enjoyed the spacious room with a very nice view over the bay. The service personnel were exceptionally polite from the time we drove up to the gatehouse. The check in procedure was especially efficient in our room with a laptop and wireless hook up. The TV in the bathroom was heckacool :-)

• Liked — fluffy bathrobes
  • Disliked — cold tile floors with no carpets
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank stormyapplesauce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Hermosa Beach, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2007

The outside of the hotel looks old and tired but open entering I was pleasantly surprised with the lobby and room amenities. Rooms have very nice bathrooms and huge plasma tv's and sitting areas. The pool area is also a bit tired and would benefit from the same upgrades as the rooms. The service was efficient and friendly. Overall a good place if the price is right but not a luxury experience worth paying a big ticket for.

• Liked — Great rooms with upgraded plasma tvs
  • Disliked — Exterior looks old and tired
  • Tips/Secrets — If you fill out their online survey you can get room credits and discounts
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank GlobalLuxuryCouple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2007

Groves Isle hotel is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are very nice, the veiws are gorgeous. The Spa is a joke. They messed up two apporintments two days im a row. Actually had me change, get ready and than told me that the technician had left for the day. What a joke. Other guests were having the same problem. A Bridal Party came in ready for there services to precede the wedding and know one was available to help them. I felt so sorry for that bride.
There are numerous spas in the Coconut Grove/Coral Gables area. stay away from the Hotel's Spa....

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank tstier5625
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2006

I stayed at this hotel for four days with my mother, my brother and my son this past July. The hotel and rooms are gorgeous (the room we stayed in had one of the biggest hotel patios I've ever seen), the pool area is lovely and has a beautiful view of Biscayne Bay, however, this is where I stopped being impressed.

Our check in went smoothly and the staff was nice enough. We had dinner at the hotel's restaurant, Baleen, which was extremely overpriced and unspectactular. We had to wait thirty minutes before our waiter came to take our order and thereafter had to repeatedly flag him down if we wanted anything. After our order was taken, it took another twenty minutes for us to get our drinks and fourty five minutes to receive our food even though the restaurant was not crowed. After we finally started eating, we had to ask to be moved inside because we were being attacked by bugs. This was our first and last meal at Baleen.

The next day, we were out by the pool. Service was prompt at the poolside bar and I had no complaints about the pool area except for the jacuzzi which was broken and wasn't fixed by the time we left.

We got back to our room around 6pm and maid service still hadn't come! Over the next few days, the maid service got worse. Everyday, they came very late, never gave us enough towels, left parts of the room dirty, left behind used glassware, never swept the patio and didn't replenish condiments for the coffee. One day, we came back to our room around 9pm and the maid hadn't given us toilet paper. I called down to the front desk three times and, by 11pm, still no toilet paper. I went down to the front desk around 11:30 p.m. (in my pajamas) only to be told they couldn't find any and could I wait until tommorrow. Outrageous!

The staff was nice enough but complaints always fell on deaf ears. The staff was never rude but they were visibly impressed with themselves. The hotel manager was constantly in a meeting or away from his desk.

On the upside, I found the hotel to be child friendly (we had a 8 yr. old and a 10 mth. old with us) and there were several couples there with children. The spa is the real attraction and this should be the only reason to come here and pay the kind of money they want for a barely four star experience.

• Liked — Beautiful property. Great location.
  • Disliked — Terrible maid and restaurant service. Friendly but apathetic front desk agents.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank LRobinson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2006

We were getting ready for our trip, and we read up on the reviews. We noticed that some people loved this hotel, and some people hated it. Because of a friend's recommendation, we decided to gamble and stay there anyway.

It all started very auspiciously when the check-in staff met us (along with the bellman) at our car. On our way to the room, she checked us in on her wireless tablet PC. We were very impressed.

However, she was unable to open our door with the keys she had. This was the first of THREE separate occassions in which our keys did not work and we had to return to the lobby to get new keys.

The room was stunning. The view was gorgeous. The balcony was pleasant. The location of the hotel is great. The grounds are superb. The spa hot tub had a view right on the water. The pool was exquisite. The restaurant, Baleen, was very good and very expensive.

The spa is wonderful. They have wide range of services available.

In addition to our key mishaps, the bathroom television decided to turn on by itself at random times during our stay. For some reason, this did not bother us too much. However, the beautiful 52-inch HDTV set decided to turn on and off randomly starting from 6am to 6:30am. This freaked us out. We found no explanation for this phenomenon - there was no timer on the TV, and the remote was next to the TV our entire stay. We solved this problem by unplugging the TV set and checking out a day early.

The front desk clerk claimed these issues were due to the "electricity" in the room. We strongly recommend this hotel, but don't stay in room 409.

• Stayed July 2006
9 Thank GatorDocs
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2006

My husband and I just came back from our 3rd visit to Grove Isle.I have to say this was the best stay we had.(even though we had a better room last year). We celebrated my birthday this weekend, and stayed 2 nights.They upgraded me to a bayfront room-with a view to die for.I didnt want to leave the terrace.But we did have dinner at Baleen-it was much better than last year-maybe a new chef?.Its expensive-but they are having MiamiSpice Nights-3 course meals for 30.02, which is a great deal.All the staff were new, and most are really nice.Except maybe the person I called the first night asking for a fan(I think Gabriela?)who thought that was the weirdest request,& didnt bother to call me back.I ask for a fan at all hotels I stay at, and most of them have them waiting.But the hotel is beautiful,the atmosphere is romantic,and you will have a wonderful time.And for people that complain about it being far from everything, that is the charm.We live in Florida, but everytime I come here I feel like Im in the Caribbean, without taking a plane.

• Liked — Every room has a view
  • Disliked — would like the pool bar/restaurant opened late, in case you want to stay by the pool
  • Tips/Secrets — FLorida residents get special rates at certain times of the year-(summer)
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank LM-2004
Miami Beach, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2006

the setting is no less than idyllic. Grove Isle Resort is on a private, gated island adjacent to downtown Miami. the resort itself can be described as "solid almost 4 stars." the service itself overlall, with the notable exception at the pool bar, is "not even 3 star."

1- our room was beautiful, except for mold in the shower. I called for service and the maid tried, but didn't remove all the mold. further, the coffee service was not replenished -- pretty basic, if you ask me.

2- the food quality itself is excellent, marred by horrendous service. an hour between soup and entree at dinner? an hour to be greeted by a server for breakfast? begging for coffee refills; then, begging for cream for the milk? I even went to the front desk to ask for a restaurant manager to speak to, which fell on deaf ears. the waiters are even surly in their manner. hotel & restaurant management -- on a weekend at a major hotel -- non-existent.

3- the noted exception is the pool bar/restaurant staff. it's like they're working for different management! they're swift to meet your needs, and asked if they've done so.

• Liked — the island setting in downtown Miami -- great views
  • Disliked — SERVICE! the level of service is not at all on par with the property
  • Tips/Secrets — gi with the expectation that the service doesn't live up to the promise of the physical poroperty
  • Stayed August 2006