“An Indulgent Celebration”

Ranked #79 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Stuart, Florida
“An Indulgent Celebration”
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I took a friend of mine to celebrate a milestone birthday-a girls spa weekend. The special pricing they had for the summer was exceptional. Check-in was a breeze and they were able to accomodate our early arrival. Spa services were exquisite. The rooms are spacious and the views sublime. The staff couldn't have been more attentive. The robes that are provided in the spa and the room are getting a little "tired". We didn't have dinner at the restaurant on site-but breakfast was typical resort fare. Having read previous reviews regarding the bill I was on guard-and there were some discrepencies. They were unable to correct them at check-out but within 2 days things were straightened out. I would return to this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Orlando
Reviewed 27 August 2010

My best friend and I recently took a weekender to this hotel. Upon arrival, gate guard looked at us like we were lost. My friend and I are 24 and 25--so considering most guests are well over 30, we didn't look like we were in the right place.

Once at the front of the hotel the valet guys were SUPER friendly and very welcoming. The service stopped there. Once inside, I met "Christina" at the front desk. My friend and I were in jeans and flip flops in a hotel where people are totally dressed up all the time.

She gave us terrible looks and an accompanying attitude. "Yes?" she said to us. I told her we had reservations, she asked for a card, then gave us the room key and told us where the room was. That's it.

For the price we paid a night, you'd expect a better attitude.

Restaurant staff was super friendly--housekeeping, exceptional. It's the front desk people who looked down at us as if we didn't belong to some exclusive club bc we walked around in casual clothes--despite the fact that we spend $800 on service and food alone.

--WATCH OUT: the hotel automatically adds 20% gratuity to EVERYTHING already.

All in all, nice place...but if you don't "look" the part....they'll treat you like it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank RastaRan

Travellers are raving about these Miami hotels

Jupiter FL
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Grove Isle is beautifully situated on Biscayne Bay and there probably isn't a bad room in the hotel. The Summer pricing package made the rooms a great value, but that is where the value stops. The resort has Ritz Carlton pricing, but doesn't follow through w/the corresponding level of quality and service.
It really is a wonderful place to get away, but being an island there is no ability to go elsewhere for food and beverage (without driving/traffic/parking/etc) so one is stuck w/resort pricing on everything. The food is good, but not outstanding. And the service, while friendly, is nothing better than one would find at a holiday inn.
The Spa.......Again expensive w/out the outstanding quality. Ordinary facial, great massage. Again, nothing extraordinary except the premium pricing. Even a bit noisy
for a spa
One final thing to be aware of. The resort shares Grove Isle w/several high rise condo buildings that, while beautifully situated on the Bay, are rather ugly 1970 era bunkers.
Finally, you would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful spot to dine, both inside and out.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CTandFLGuy
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I was planning a surprise for my mother and made reservations for a massage followed by brunch.
Upon arrival I was informed that I did not have a reservation. My credit card information was most certainly there in the computer, but the employee that I spoke with never booked the reservation. I don't know where the manager was on this holiday, but we heard nothing during the two hour wait we had before we could be seated for brunch.
While we ere eating, the manager (who could not be bothered to speak to us directly) sent a girl out to let us know they could "fit her in" after lunch.
We declined since we had somewhere else to go and told the girl that he had all of our contact information and to please have him contact us.
I have heard nothing from him.
Also, don't bother with the brunch. For the same exact price, the Biltmore is one thousand times better in every respect.

Stayed May 2010
1 Thank sue111111
New York City
Reviewed 9 March 2010

I recently attended a wedding at the Grove Isle hotel, and stayed there for a long weekend. Yes, it was expensive, but so is the rest of Miami, and I have to say I thought it was truly lovely and I had a great time.

Restaurant:
DELICIOUS. My boyfriend actually said "I don't know when I'll have another steak like that". The chef is originally from NYC and worked as Donald Trump's personal chef for a while. It is also designed beautifully. It's all glass and wood paneling and candles. Gorgeous and simple.

Lobby/common areas:
Beautiful too. Everything was simple and elegant.

Grounds/pool:
Heavenly view of the bay. The pool was warm, the plantings were gorgeous, the sunbeds were comfortable, and the service was attentive without being annoying (and they knew my name after one day). Food/drinks can add up cost-wise though.

Rooms:
This would be my only critique. The rooms are not as nice as everything else. Although spotlessly clean with comfortable beds, they could use an update. I loved the balcony though. You can not have a bad view at this hotel.

My only other small complaint would be about the location. It would be wise to rent a car (but it's expenive to park). The hotel is on an island, and there isn't so much as a convenience store or coffee shop in walking distance. On the flip side it makes for a peaceful and quiet vacation if you want Miami, but don't want to attitude and bustle of South Beach (I love South Beach, but this is a really great alternative). Great for a girls weekend, romantic weekend or to bring your parents.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelAsh_10
Ohio
Reviewed 9 February 2010

We had the pleasure of going to this years Super Bowl and decided to try Grove Isle Hotel and Spa after looking at their website. I am very picky about my hotels and to say I look the rooms over is and understatement.

1. The Staff were wonderful and the front desk person took us on a quick tour when we got there. The valet parking guys were over the top nice and I was impressed when using the elevator that the staff would wait until the next (not that I cared). We did pay a valet fee and tipped several times however, it is clearly stated and the guys were quick and willing to help with directions.
2. The room was extremely clean and I am the type who walk into the bathroom first and look at the floor corners first. I know sounds funny but after seeing 60 Minutes stories about rooms has ruined me. The room was cleaning in the AM and then at night we had turndown service and towels were refreshed again. I guess if I had a complaint it would be the extra resort charge we paid for things like water in the room. Maybe they should include free cookies or something like that. They did have a basket full, refrig full and wet bar of items to purchase (way over priced like everywhere else).
3. Location was out of the way which we liked but easy to find. The little town of Coconut Grove was very close.
4. Pool and bar area are good but to be honest I only used once. Again, if I had a complaint it was no one came over to ask if I wanted a drink but not willing to make a big deal of it.
5. The restaurant Gibraltar. We decided to have dinner there instead of going to Emeril's place after looking at his prices. I want to give some extra points about our dinner.
The staff and expecially our waitress were unbelievable. I totally disagree with anyone who does not give them a good rating. We ordered several items from salads, chicken, swordfish and finished with desserts. They brought fabulous breads with two different spreads, two appetizers for us to sample and always filled out glasses not in a pushy way. We decided to try two different desserts even though we were full and let me tell you, the key lime pie was over the top including a topping of shaved white chocolate. They finished the meal with two plated chocolates. We even asked the staff to raise a divider that had been lowered as it was a little windy and they immediately raised it so we could enjoy the view.

Bottom line, worth every cent. I would go there again and again but as we are from Ohio, I don't know when we will ge back. I thank the entire hotel for giving us such a great experience.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PleasedOhio
California
Reviewed 17 January 2010

How very sad. This hotel used to be a jewel in Miami with a fantastic view on a secluded, yet very convenient, island. I have been coming for over 20 years! New management took over in late 2008, and it's been downhill ever since. Baleen's - the prior restaurant - has been replaced by an ill-conceived Gibraltar sporting "British" club food. Maintenance has been deferred everywhere. Staff is pleasant but poorly trained. Rooms are OK, but far from their prior level of luxury. Most disappointing is the outdoor party space, with a new tan tent top and a sloppily power-washed wood floor. This isn't even a gem-in-the-rough anymore. Just avoid it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo