“Days Inn @ Miami International Airport - A safe bet when necessary”

Days Inn Miami International Airport
Ranked #91 of 121 Hotels in Miami
world traveler
“Days Inn @ Miami International Airport - A safe bet when necessary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

Very convenient to the airport, there are some plusses and minuses to Day’s Inn Miami International. (Note that this is the Day’s Inn on Northwest 11th Street. There is another near the airport also. )

On the plus side, I booked online inexpensively, and had no problem getting a non-smoking king room. The room contained a huge leather recliner, good, quiet air conditioning, cable TV (somewhat limited on channel selection), a microwave, medium sized fridge, coffee maker, and free internet. There were various times during my less-than-24-hours where the internet went down, however.

Jorge at the front desk was helpful, polite and completely professional, both on the phone (calling from the airport for complimentary shuttle pick-up) and in person.

Arriving in the room, I took the bedspread off immediately as always (a shocking number of people lie naked or have sex on those bedspreads, and they aren’t cleaned between each guest, or even weekly, anywhere). I undid the bedding to look at the mattress, and be sure there were no signs of bedbugs (which there weren’t). It was nice to see a fitted bottom sheet, so that it would stay in place during the night.

The restaurant, Café Mystique was very moderately priced, with separate breakfast, lunch and dinner menus. Being a Monday, the restaurant and bar closed at 10pm, which is not idea for airport travelers, especially in hotels located in office parks.

Coming from the airport, courtesy driver Carlos was taking the turns much too fast, causing everyone in the crowded fan to fall on top of each other and grab for anything in arm’s reach. On the flipside, I was the only one in the van, with nobody waiting at the airport. I waited longer than expected for the van, having been told the driver had a flat tire. The driver however had not heard of this, so presumably that was the invention of the front desk clerk, covering for a driver that went for a mid-day sandwich (or whatever).

He was driving very fast (well above the speed limit), and I told him that I was in no hurry whatsoever. This did not stop him from driving across solid lines into oncoming traffic to pass other vehicles. I repeated again that I was not in a hurry, with no change in his driving. He spent most of the ride on a personal call, on his cellphone.

I went into Café Mystique while awaiting the slow-to-come van. Someone was coaching a girl onstage in a mostly dark room through a lipsynch routine, presumably for some sort of show. An order of chicken soup turned out to be a tiny cup, and tended towards greasy. Ready to leave, the bartender/waitress had to be called away from where she was chatting on her cellphone, instead of tearing down the breakfast station.

The lobby was fluorescent, lacking in hominess. In fact, the lamps on the end tables weren’t even plugged in. So, the first impression was, “Oh boy, I’m in a budget motel”. So, while the room was clean and comfortable with plenty of amenities for the low price, the rest of the experience was less positive.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank BARRYfromBOSTON
tequesta_1, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Miami International Airport, responded to this review, 9 January 2014

Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
NEW YORK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

I arrived to Maimi from New York on Monday January 11th and I waited and waited for the shutter van to take me to the hotel for almost two hours and it didn't show up though i called the front desk several times but despite that I had a paid reservation for two days the front desk guy cancelled my reservation without any request of my part just because seem that he got tired that I called him several times...it was a nightmare and I got very mad because then i had to call another hotel to get a room and of couse i had to pay more...

Please trust me don't stay in that hotel because people like the concierge on tha shift (afternoon-evening ) need to learn how to deal with customers especially learn what the word "respet" means.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CUBANO45

Winter Park, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2011

- Phone did not work ... there was no power adapter
- TV remote did not work. Took it to the front desk and they gave me another. It did not work either.
- very dimly lit. 2 wall lamps by the bed worked, the floor lanp did not work.
- stayed 4 nights .. on Sun AM there was no hot water. Had to take a cold shower before leaving on business for the day.
- no network access in the room for 2 of 4 days. Network very slow when it did work.
- emergency exit/security door was unlaocked at all hours. Not very security for this rough neighborhood.
- weird chemical smell throughout

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank rrgwpk

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2010

There weren't any cockroaches, but the place looks pretty bad. The lobby looks like it's been bombed out, and the first two rooms I got smelled badly - one of smoke and one of some weird odor. The third room smelled fine but had stained carpet.

To the hotel's credit, the staff let me transfer to a new room several times with no fuss. And the hotel is close to the airport and cheap (by Miami standards).

Overall, I have to believe I could have done much, much better without spending too much more money.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David S
tequesta_1, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Miami International Airport, responded to this review, 10 January 2014

Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

Never stay here. We got to this dump around 3 am and they have given our room away. the guy in hte front desk was nasty, rude and scary. there was a bar beside the hotel and the people that were coming in and out looked very questionable. In a way I am glad they did not have my room, but they still charge me for it. Whom ever stays in this hotels have to be insane.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank abyanes2000

Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

My husband and I stayed here on the last night of our honeymoon. Travel agent made reservations for us and we were DISGUSTED! Dead roach on the floor in the bathroom, stained sheets. We slept with the light on because it was so dirty. Found coins under the TV stand, a dirty tissue behind the night stand and the ceiling paint was pealing off. IT WAS GROSS!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE! We paid $60 a night. This place is also in the GHETTO! Not safe!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christinjoy03

Ridgeland, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

This was my second stay at this location and compared to my first experience, This one Sucked!! First of all, the second day we came back to our rooms, the housekeeper didn't clean one of them and she didn't even bother to leave clean towels. We went down to complain and the guy at the front desk told us that there was nothing he could do but give us clean towels. There was no apology or reason why our room was not cleaned. Second, on the third day of our stay, we returned to our rooms and the other was not cleaned. We were outraged. Again, we complained to the front desk and the person that was there had a "don't care" attitude. She gave us clean towels and sent us on our way. We didn't have this our first stay there the previous year, so we were very surprised at the poor service we received. Not only that, we received a survey by email last year about our stay, but for some reason, we didn't get one this year. I guess they new the service was poor. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family