“The first time was lovely, second time average”

Hyatt Regency Miami
Ranked #50 of 122 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“The first time was lovely, second time average”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed here almost exactly one year to the date that I stayed before. First the pros: clean rooms; no smoking; good location for getting around downtown and to the airport and best of all, very nice staff which made my experience better.

Last year I somehow ended up getting into a suite on the Club floor and going in I knew that this was probably not going to happen a second time and I was right. However, as long as the room was clean and non-smoking I was going to be fine.

I arrived early and was told I could get a room with two Queen beds immediately or wait a bit longer for the King bed. I opted for the latter and did some shopping, ate lunch then waited in the lobby for quite some while before one became available. I was okay with this as I was still handed a key card by 3pm, 1 hour before my scheduled check-in time which meant that I still managed to get in early by any hotel standards:)

The first room I took faced the drawbridge and because it is metal, each vehicle that passed over it was quite loud. At night I am a sound sleeper but I did find that this noise was intrusive for the afternoon so I asked if I could be switched to the other side, which the front desk clerk did.

Being so tired, I was oblivious to the fact that there was an adjoining door. My previous hotel had one, plus I had stayed in other places with them and had no problems which was probably why I overlooked it. However, this would turn out to be my mistake as the door offered no sound proof at all.

Early that evening a large gathering of people were there and they were loud. A child was visiting and actually tried to open the door to my room! Good thing I checked to ensure that it was locked. When most of the guests left, the couple (or three) I could never be sure, started to engage in activity of the "romantic" type and it was so clear as if they were in my room. I chuckled at first but goodness, it went on and on. I did approach the new front desk clerk to ask about being moved again to a room with no adjoining door but was told that the only rooms left were those with two Queen beds and with a weekend coming up it was preferred that I would wait it out. To give her credit though, she offered to call the room to ask them to be cognitive of the fact that there was an adjoining door but I told her not to worry.

And, to give the occupants of the next room credit as well, though they were somewhat like rabbits for three days they did adhere to the the quiet hours after 9pm except for one night coming in loudly at 130am--but as this was my last night, I let it pass.

For me the problem was that if I could hear them as clear as anything then likely it was the reverse. Because I am an early morning person, usually getting up at 6, I felt like I had to tiptoe around my room, not use the blow dryer and ensure that the speakers on my computer were set to extra low because I did not want to wake them. In a nutshell, though the room was nice, I was not comfortable in it and this really is not the fault of the hotel but my own personal preferences.

The plus is that when I checked out the nice guy at the desk then updated my profile so that if I stay at any Hyatt property, there would be a permanent note advising staff not to assign me a room with an adjoining door.

Overall, I think if other hotels with adjoining rooms could have practically sound-proof doors, then I think this hotel could invest a little in upgrading their doors to offer that same comfort. I would stay here again but rest assured that even though my profile is updated, I would still ask to have a room with no adjoining door upon check-in.

Room Tip: If you like quiet ask for rooms that do not face the drawbridge and ones without adjoining doors.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Previous reviews have rightfully given accolades to the front staff at this hotel; they have been well trained. Do they have different trainers for housekeeping? It may not be much, but having coffee for two is what I want....not one regular and one decaffeinated. Please put two of each in the room and refill what the guests use! And please refill the tissue box. We had to hang a dollar bill in the empty slot to make the point that the box had gone unfilled for two days. And please restock toiletries (no hand lotion until 3rd day). This is not brain surgery and would go a long way to making up for the rooms which really, really, really need to be overhauled.

Room Tip: The better views overlook the Miami River.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

The number one thing that made our stay at this hotel wonderful was the staff. Every staff member we encountered was friendly, helpful and caring. Jonathan at the front desk was very welcoming and sweet. Manoj in the restaurant pampered us with excellent service, and happily accommodated our special food requests. Donald the sous chef came to our table to bring us a lovely appetizer. Ivo the food & beverage manager came by to say hello and chat a bit. Our dinner was delicious and perfect. Our room was comfortable, but not extraordinary. The service was absolutely extraordinary, from check-in to check-out, which really made our stay at this Hyatt special.

• Stayed September 2013
McLean, VA
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Found a great rate on Orbitz and this property was convenient to a client. Nothing special except the staff who were very attentive at check-in, at valet, in restaurant, etc. My room needed some attention (caked on soap in the soap dish, nightstand lights burned out, etc.) The front desk was very apologetic and took care of immediately. Location, facilites, etc. are just average. They have been somewhat redone, but it's one of those Hyatt properies with no personality. And the "fitness center" was horrible. Seen nice set-ups at a Fairfield Inn. Unless you had a meeting nearby, were attending a conference, or found a drop-dead great rate, there is no compelling reason to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed here for the weekend, after reading the reviews didnt expect much from the hotel, the rooms did smell of cigarettes, even though it was a non-smoking room, the front desk agent (Jonathan) was very friendly and gave me comp wi-fi and breakfast for my stay, which helped overlook the filthy carpets in the room that were stained and the outdated furniture, the breakfast cold have been better in the cold section. Overall the hotel just needs an upgrade. Close to the Bayside, and the port, which is a small walk.

Room Tip: High floor room facing the port the miami view is not so beautiful as it has some parking lot obstru...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tee M
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were in Miami for just one night. We booked this room through Priceline and got a great deal especially when we saw our room. This was a very nice room, great view of downtown, and very friendly staff. I would absolutely stay here again. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of all the construction in the area, although this is no reflection of the hotel, it was not convenient to be driving around.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Enjoyed this hotel for one evening in Miami. The property seemed a bit dated but they've upgraded certain things. Rooms were just ok in my opinion but lobby areas were really nice. Pool area was average. Room was quiet on 24th floor and the views were great. Closet was large. There is no self parking on site. Nearest location is a guarded city garage for $19/day plus more fees if you come and go from the garage. The garage does connect to the hotel. I didn't walk around too much but I'm sure there were lots of things nearby within walking distance. Surprised that wifi was not free but that and some items in the cafe were included in my room rate. Sleep quality very good. Bathroom light was dim. Vanity was separate from the tub and toilet. Bedside light wasn't working. There is a little Chinese takeout near the adjacent garage called First Hong Kong I believe and the food was good. Room rate, inclusive, was $120. Room 2427.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo