“It was ok”

Hyatt Regency Miami
Ranked #47 of 127 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed 4 nights for a conference. It was ok.
Lots of beige and a little dated however I found all the staff courteous and helpful.
Didn't eat here so can't comment however the bar always seemed busy.
I stayed on the 17th floor and was a little surprised to find a hotel card offering earplugs lying on my pillow; now I know why! Was awoken by traffic noise every morning.......didn't realize I was such a light sleeper.

1  Thank Atombomb24
Write a ReviewReviews (3,517)

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The good: the service was excellent from the greeting by Rhonda at the front desk, to the manager, Molina, checking to see if everything was ok, to the restaurant manager checking on the food and service.

The beds are very comfortable and the water pressure in the shower is excellent.

The bad: the hotel needs some serious updating, the room decor is extremely outdated and overly worn. The carpet in my room looked like it was from the early 1990's, there was broken tile, caulking and grout in the bathroom and the overall feel of the hotel is that of a once proud hotel that has been neglected.

2  Thank Ken B
Reviewed 28 January 2014

While some of the staff were nice, competent and friendly most of the experience lacked the Hyatt quality and level of service we expected and I don't even know where to begin to describe it all.
Our experience began a few weeks ago when we received our first email offering a "suite" upgrade .. instead of the web form I chose to telephone to make sure we were being upgraded to their king suite ... I was assured that this was the case and even called a few days before we were to fly there to "double check" ... funny how we checked in and went to a crappy "room" instead of the suite we were expecting - ok .. not so funny. We were promised that in the morning we could have a "blind move" by the staff if we left our things in the suitcases and so we spent the day out and about and returned to the front desk to get our new keys and were given the same crappy room we had checked in to - while it was resolved, the hassle was enormous.
The food service substandard - I ordered a burger and their "signature" cheese fries only to discover the fries were ok/decent fries with cheese on top that was then "nuked" leaving a soupy, watery mess on the plate ...
Coffee from their "deli" was old and nasty tasting. The sandwich I had was stale. AND we paid premium hotel prices for this ... the best meal we ate there was the pizza we had delivered.

Room Tip: If you can avoid this place then go to another hotel ... even if you have to pay more.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank thedonsilver
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed for one night prior to cruise. short taxi ride from the airport. Room is nice although a bit outdated it's not too bad. Fresh linens which is my top priority and clean. Had some minor issues with the tub which I addressed upon checking out so they can fix it for the next guest. It is within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Got a good deal from Priceline. short taxi ride as well to port of miami. Requested a higher floor to avoid noise which is great. Will stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cusip
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I'm used to Hyatt and this one was by far under my expectations...
At this price, there is no minibar, the room was still not made at 2pm, the bathroom is old and the food quality of the room service is really not good.
Stephan W.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Mary-Steph-W
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I booked a room for 5 nights and another one for my business partner for 3 nights. We were attending the Hedge Fund Conference taking place at the Intercontinental. The Hyatt was packed with people from the Empowerment conference. My room was old and there was a connecting door to another room occupied by people with a baby. Everytime the baby cried it felt like he was in my room. Room service was disgusting. I could not eat my ceasar salad and the burger was bad. Overall a big disappointment never again, the Intercontinental is much better...

5  Thank lcfb
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I'm reviewing on my phone after checkout so I'll be brief:

I like Hyatt Regency hotels. They're usually great. This one is the least satisfactory experience I've had with the chain.

Our room (a suite) smelled like smoke despite repeated attempts to get something done about it.

The room itself was an odd arrangement with cut-up spaces that made it difficult to move around comfortably, especially in the bath/dressing area.

The bathroom was what I would expect from Clarion or Comfort Inn: one sink in a suite? A step-over tub/shower combo?

The "comforter" on our bed was a thin blanket sandwiched between two sheets. No extra blankets in the room.

After finally asking to speak to the manager on duty, we did receive an apology and a $100 credit toward our room charges so that was a nice gesture.

On the positive side, the staff is very friendly....and extremely helpful. Our bellman offered to help us with taping and labeling some FedEx boxes we needed to ship home so it was great having that assistance.

I don't know if the chain is just neglecting this particular property....because the people and service were great. But the hotel itself is one we won't use again.

4  Thank Tony R