“Not a 4-star hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not a 4-star hotel”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It's not that there was anything particularly appalling about this hotel, but it just didn't feel like a 4-star hotel in any way. Rooms, fitness center, restaurant, room service all pretty lackluster. No shower cap or any toiletries except for the basics (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap); wifi was spotty (I had to take my laptop into the bathroom to get a signal at a few points); thin walls; fitness center had a shelf that said "headphones" on it, but no headphones to be found. None of this was terrible, and since I was there for a conference didn't care as I would have had this been a vacation; I just expected more from a Hyatt.

My experience could be best summed up as "bleh" -- hence the three stars. I've based my 3-star rating entirely on my own average experience. However, I do want to note that I was traveling with a number of colleagues and staff and was pretty disturbed by what I heard about their experiences. One colleague in particular uses a white noise machine to sleep at night, and the Hyatt's thin walls (as mentioned above) meant that a neighbor heard her sound machine and was disturbed. A Hyatt staff member came to her room, unlocked it, and barged into it - a fairly frightening experience for her.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank serendipity613

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Slightly concerned about this hotel before we arrived, based on the reviews on here, but really, what are you complaining about?!

In fairness, we stayed here during Ultra Music Festival (about 15 mins walk from the festy gates but far enough away not to be too bothered by the people & noise), Sony Tennis Championships & Music Week so i was expecting to be allocated a pretty rubbish room considering how much we paid for it, but i was pleasantly surprised.

The room was huge and had the best layout of any hotel room i'd ever stayed in, ever. And i've stayed in a lot of hotels! There was plenty of storage space, drawers, hanging space for cloths and a, small, but great bathroom. Yes, the vanity unit is a little 80's, but it was spotlessly clean. Having it outside of the bathroom meant that the 2 of us could get ready much quicker as one could use the sink whilst the other was showing. What's not to like?

The ONLY thing i can complain about is the state of the carpet. It was filthy and i mean filthy. I was actually worried about my shoes getting dirty walking on it! But that's it!

The public areas are really nice and not overpriced, especially for hotel prices. The food is really good and we loved grabbing a light breakfast from the Riverwalk cafe (queues can get long though, when there's a conference). I would have liked to have tried some more of the offerings in the restaurant, especially the Latin buffet, but we just didnt have time.

The hotel is in a great location with lovely views of the Miami River. Only 15 walk to Bayfront Marketplace and about 5 minutes to downtown stores & restaurants. There's also a Metromover stop a few minutes walk away which gives free travel around downtown. Cost us less than $20 for a taxi from the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Selbyjake
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Well located hotel with quality service at a good price. Attended a conference and several of the rooms were less suitable for the kind of event that was occurring--limited wifi and some rooms quite dark and lecture/pew style rather than conversational. But easy to navigate and use, and affordable.

• Stayed April 2014
Newbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here for a conference my wife was attending, but with a last minute change in our travel arrangements necessitating an early morning arrival, she asked whether it would be possible to get an early check-in. Not only was this arranged, but we were upgraded to a suite as a standard room wasn't ready. Claret took great care of us and she was exceptional, having informed the front desk so they were aware of our situation when we arrived. Every staff member was most accommodating. Perhaps there are some rooms that prompted some of the other negative reviews, but ours was fine. Yes, the closet arrangement is a little unusual as another guest wrote, but we didn't spend much of our stay in it. My wife was satisfied with the workings of her meeting, finding the food exceptional, and we had an very good meal one night in the Riverwalk Cafe. Our server, Carlos, was most attentive to our needs. On Thursdays they have a three-course special for $25.00 with a choice of any starter, entree and dessert off the regular menu, a great deal, especially as my entree alone would have been $10.00 more. Negatives? Even on the 19th floor there is a constant rumble of traffic on US 1 below as it crosses over the drawbridge, hence some difficulty getting to sleep. There is no onsite parking, although valet is available, and if one doesn't plan on leaving, there is a secure parking garage with a walkway to the hotel at $19.00 for 24 hrs. Overall good for business and conferences.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This property was probably a gem when it opened in the early 1980s as one of the original Hyatts. Big blocks of cement that meld into the attached convention center. But it hasn't been updated much since then. The lobby has been updated a bit, but my room hadn't. Old furniture and bathroom fixtures, really beat up carpeting and bedding, and 1980s motif. Most hotels are on a seven year replacement schedule. This one clearly isn't observing that rotation. It's functional for a meeting, but there are a lot of new hotels and old hotels that have been maintained in the area.

Room Tip: Surely there are floors that have been updated. Ask for one.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My family and I spent two nights at the Hyatt Regency in Miami. We were pleased to be upgraded to a suite when we checked in. The staff were all very pleasant and accommodating, and the room was clean and quiet with a good view of the river and downtown. The only thing I didn't like was parking was very expensive. We did find a way around this. If you self park in the parking garage the hotel uses, and you are parked after 6pm and out of the garage by 9am, then the overnight parking is just $5. That worked for us since we were out all day when in Miami. if you have to go in and out then the valet service at $35 is the only real option. The pool and gym are both small, though both are nice. A lot of reviewers commented on the dated decor. I'd rate it as early 1990's decor. It was very clean and well maintained, and all in all a quality hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cougski
Oregon
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I can completely understand some of the 1-3 star ratings here based on how busy it can get. Based on the convenient location of this hotel in a metropolitan city like Miami, it's not surprising that the lobby and valet parking area sometimes resemble the 405 in LA during rush hour. If you're looking for a quiet, slow-paced place to find some peace and quiet, you'll need to suspend such expectations until you broach the gauntlet that can be the lobby, elevator and valet parking area and keep walking until you reach your room. And if you're there during spring break, prepare for a very diverse crowd wandering the property alongside of the business travelers bouncing between rooms at the adjoining convention center. The only other complaint I have is related to the so-called gym. There was only one working treadmill (the other was broken) and the space seemed cramped and sub par.

So, why the five stars? First, the room was nice. I found it modern, comfortable and well appointed. The view was outstanding. Next, the food. we ate in the restaurant and also had room service in the morning. The prices seemed reasonable and the food quality was very high. And lastly, the real reason for the slightly inflated review: the service. The service at the front desk was excellent. The cleaners, maintenance staff and restaurant employees were very helpful and friendly--unusually so. However, the prize in my book for most amazing service goes to Michael, one of the bellhops.

Michael has evidently worked at this hotel for years and his commitment to customers was exceptional. At one point during my stay, my room door lock malfunctioned and I was no longer able to enter my room using my card key. The front desk line was unusually long and I found myself stranded in the lobby, late for a conference presentation with my gym clothing on after a morning workout--very awkward and annoying. I approached Michael and asked him for assistance. While he was obviously harried by the small army of guests in the lobby, he put down luggage he was carrying, accompanied me up to my room and helped me assess the door lock as being defective. When I mentioned this situation later to the manager, she also handled the situation gracefully with an eye towards improving the situation. Kudos to the hotel manager who takes steps to improve a situation that leaves a guest displeased with a situation.

As if Michael hadn't already gone above and beyond, when we left, he spent time sharing more about things to see at our final destination and was kind enough to walk back into the hotel to secure a complimentary guide book for us. Hyatt, please take care of this very gracious and competent employee so he can continue to elevate the reputation of your service-centric hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business