“Expected first class”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“Expected first class”
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This is a somewhat classy and costly hotel so I assumed first class service. The room is very nice and comfortable but the tub didn't drain. After spending so much time in the heat, I would have liked a nice shower without bathing in filth. Around 5pm someone tried to enter our room, I have to assume housekeeping but it's a good thing our door latch was on. 830 am housekeeping knocking and 1000 am housekeeping knocking again. I felt like an unwanted guest being shoved out the door for the next guest.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank JulieC_2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It's not that there was anything particularly appalling about this hotel, but it just didn't feel like a 4-star hotel in any way. Rooms, fitness center, restaurant, room service all pretty lackluster. No shower cap or any toiletries except for the basics (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap); wifi was spotty (I had to take my laptop into the bathroom to get a signal at a few points); thin walls; fitness center had a shelf that said "headphones" on it, but no headphones to be found. None of this was terrible, and since I was there for a conference didn't care as I would have had this been a vacation; I just expected more from a Hyatt.

My experience could be best summed up as "bleh" -- hence the three stars. I've based my 3-star rating entirely on my own average experience. However, I do want to note that I was traveling with a number of colleagues and staff and was pretty disturbed by what I heard about their experiences. One colleague in particular uses a white noise machine to sleep at night, and the Hyatt's thin walls (as mentioned above) meant that a neighbor heard her sound machine and was disturbed. A Hyatt staff member came to her room, unlocked it, and barged into it - a fairly frightening experience for her.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank serendipity613
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Slightly concerned about this hotel before we arrived, based on the reviews on here, but really, what are you complaining about?!

In fairness, we stayed here during Ultra Music Festival (about 15 mins walk from the festy gates but far enough away not to be too bothered by the people & noise), Sony Tennis Championships & Music Week so i was expecting to be allocated a pretty rubbish room considering how much we paid for it, but i was pleasantly surprised.

The room was huge and had the best layout of any hotel room i'd ever stayed in, ever. And i've stayed in a lot of hotels! There was plenty of storage space, drawers, hanging space for cloths and a, small, but great bathroom. Yes, the vanity unit is a little 80's, but it was spotlessly clean. Having it outside of the bathroom meant that the 2 of us could get ready much quicker as one could use the sink whilst the other was showing. What's not to like?

The ONLY thing i can complain about is the state of the carpet. It was filthy and i mean filthy. I was actually worried about my shoes getting dirty walking on it! But that's it!

The public areas are really nice and not overpriced, especially for hotel prices. The food is really good and we loved grabbing a light breakfast from the Riverwalk cafe (queues can get long though, when there's a conference). I would have liked to have tried some more of the offerings in the restaurant, especially the Latin buffet, but we just didnt have time.

The hotel is in a great location with lovely views of the Miami River. Only 15 walk to Bayfront Marketplace and about 5 minutes to downtown stores & restaurants. There's also a Metromover stop a few minutes walk away which gives free travel around downtown. Cost us less than $20 for a taxi from the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Selbyjake
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Well located hotel with quality service at a good price. Attended a conference and several of the rooms were less suitable for the kind of event that was occurring--limited wifi and some rooms quite dark and lecture/pew style rather than conversational. But easy to navigate and use, and affordable.

• Stayed April 2014
Newbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here for a conference my wife was attending, but with a last minute change in our travel arrangements necessitating an early morning arrival, she asked whether it would be possible to get an early check-in. Not only was this arranged, but we were upgraded to a suite as a standard room wasn't ready. Claret took great care of us and she was exceptional, having informed the front desk so they were aware of our situation when we arrived. Every staff member was most accommodating. Perhaps there are some rooms that prompted some of the other negative reviews, but ours was fine. Yes, the closet arrangement is a little unusual as another guest wrote, but we didn't spend much of our stay in it. My wife was satisfied with the workings of her meeting, finding the food exceptional, and we had an very good meal one night in the Riverwalk Cafe. Our server, Carlos, was most attentive to our needs. On Thursdays they have a three-course special for $25.00 with a choice of any starter, entree and dessert off the regular menu, a great deal, especially as my entree alone would have been $10.00 more. Negatives? Even on the 19th floor there is a constant rumble of traffic on US 1 below as it crosses over the drawbridge, hence some difficulty getting to sleep. There is no onsite parking, although valet is available, and if one doesn't plan on leaving, there is a secure parking garage with a walkway to the hotel at $19.00 for 24 hrs. Overall good for business and conferences.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This property was probably a gem when it opened in the early 1980s as one of the original Hyatts. Big blocks of cement that meld into the attached convention center. But it hasn't been updated much since then. The lobby has been updated a bit, but my room hadn't. Old furniture and bathroom fixtures, really beat up carpeting and bedding, and 1980s motif. Most hotels are on a seven year replacement schedule. This one clearly isn't observing that rotation. It's functional for a meeting, but there are a lot of new hotels and old hotels that have been maintained in the area.

Room Tip: Surely there are floors that have been updated. Ask for one.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My family and I spent two nights at the Hyatt Regency in Miami. We were pleased to be upgraded to a suite when we checked in. The staff were all very pleasant and accommodating, and the room was clean and quiet with a good view of the river and downtown. The only thing I didn't like was parking was very expensive. We did find a way around this. If you self park in the parking garage the hotel uses, and you are parked after 6pm and out of the garage by 9am, then the overnight parking is just $5. That worked for us since we were out all day when in Miami. if you have to go in and out then the valet service at $35 is the only real option. The pool and gym are both small, though both are nice. A lot of reviewers commented on the dated decor. I'd rate it as early 1990's decor. It was very clean and well maintained, and all in all a quality hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family