“Not such a Suite Experience”

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #7 of 127 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed 1 night pre-cruise the weekend of March 14th. This was my 3rd time staying at the Intercontinental Miami - it's become our "go to" hotel now anytime we sail out of Miami.

This was a special trip so we decided to spend the extra money to book 1 parlor suite in addition to a Harbor View room. For the Parlor Suite alone, because of the time of year it was going to be $550 for this one night stay. I was assured before I made this reservation by chatting with an on line representative that the suite would be guaranteed a harbor view as well because ALL suites came with a harbor view - this is one the biggest selling point for us at the Intercontinental.

Before my arrival to the hotel, I had received several phone calls from a family member who was told they could not locate the reservation - it was under my name but I had listed my family members. It was eventually resolved, however my family member felt the reception member helping her could have been a bit warmer.

Upon my arrival, the reception desk had understandably a lot of guests checking in for it was Friday afternoon. Unlike my family member, I had a very pleasant exchange and transaction checking in and receiving my room key. I was assigned to the 31st floor and immediately discovered after entering that instead of the Harbor View I thought I was guaranteed I had a nice view of the Metro Mover and Ross'. I immediately headed back downstairs to rectify this situation.

Upon being called to approach the desk I was going to be assisted by a different receptionist. I explained my dilemma and what I was told before I booked the reservation - I also explained that the on line rep made the booking for me. Unlike any other experience at this hotel, the receptionist helping me was very cold and made me feel like it was my fault. She stated that the on line rep who I chatted with works for Corporate, not for the Miami hotel so they would not know how the suites are laid out at this hotel. She quickly stated that I would be stuck with the room because they had no other suites available with the view. I pleaded with her to see if there was anything she could maneuver for us - it was 2pm so I was hoping this was possible. She clicked around more, asked for my patience while she tried to figure something out and then asked how many people would be staying in our room. After this, she departed to her back office and after another 5 minutes of waiting stated she did not want me to leave disappointed so gave me 3 drink cards to Toro Toro and 1 drink card to Starbucks - unfortunately, none of us in my party drink alcohol. Needless to say, I did not leave the desk with a room change nor did I get my harbor view I spent big bucks for a 1 night stay to have.

I made her aware that I had already pre-paid a parlor suite for September and that I would cancel it had it not been pre-paid but now have no choice but to "hope" that in September I might land the view I thought I would have this past weekend. She assured me she would make a note on this booking, but again it's not guaranteed.

So will this dissuade me from staying there again? No. A very expensive lesson learned. I still think this is a fabulous hotel, but next time we'll be sure to book Harbor View rooms instead of suites since this view cannot be guaranteed. Also, while disappointed by the reception service desk that both my family member & I received - it was as I said previously, a first and hopefully a one-off situation.

Last note to add - after having dinner at Bayside, we returned to our suite to find a spread of cheese/fruit/meat and a bottle of Wine along with 3 bottles of water. Unsure if this is apart of the suite package or if it was because of our reservation mishap - it was a nice touch, regardless.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Jackie0126,

Thank you so much for your review and for your loyalty to the InterContinental Miami. I am happy to hear that you had a smooth check-in but am disappointed that we were unable to honor your request for a Suite with a Harbor view. I understand your frustrations but please know that the events you described are not a common occurrence at our hotel and I extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

However, I am pleased to hear that this unfortunate circumstance will not impact your decision to stay with us in the future. I would love to welcome you back to the hotel and hope you will reach out to me prior to your stay in September so I may ensure I can meet you and exceed your expectations of the InterContinental Miami.

Regard,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I booked a stay during Spring Break for my birthday. I know how crazy Miami gets so I was expecting it to be busy. Boy, it was! But the staff handled everything easily and smoothly. Very courteous and professional. Rodrigo (who checked us in) handled everything smoothly, even accommodating our request to change rooms into double beds! We stayed for 3 nights with club lounge access. Get club lounge access if you can. We had free breakfast, tea time and even happy hour! Valet is right on time - just text before we leave the room and our rental was out front by the time we got to the lobby. Room was clean and tidy every day. Will definitely stay here again! Kudos to the excellent staff!!

Room Tip: Harbor view or city view - they're both great!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie320
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Jamie320,

Thank you so much for sharing details of your recent stay with us. I'm so glad you chose to celebrate your birthday with us! It is always great to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay and received great service from our staff. We strive to provide personalized and efficient service no matter what the circumstance and I'm happy that we were able to remain professional and give you the ultimate InterContinental Miami experience despite how busy we may have been. Thank you for your accolades to Rodrigo, he is truly an asset to our team.

I would love to obtain additional details about your recent booking and personally assist you when you are ready to book your next stay. Please email me at guestreviews.icmiami@gmail.com at your earliest convenience.

Again, I value your feedback and hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Spending 3 nights at the Intercontinental in Miami - amazing hotel! Rooms modern and spectacular. Service is impeccable. Specifically, Rodrigo at the front desk truly brought us to tears of laughter upon checking in and has continued to follow up to ensure we are having a great visit. We have been fortunate to have traveled to many places around the world and right here in Miami the service is above and beyond!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Rebekka S,

Thank you so much for your 5-star review! I am glad that you had a wonderful check-in experience with the infamous Rodrigo! He is definitely one of our shining stars and I'm glad that he gave you a great start to your stay with us. All of our staff takes great pride in delivering exceptional service and they will be thrilled to hear that you referred to the services that you received at our hotel as some of the best in the world.

Again thank you for your kinds words. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stay very often at Intercontinental Miami and it's always a great experience. Last time I was there I was able to experience an E-Bike ride and it was fantastic. You can enjoy the MIAMI surroundings both doing exercise and taking advantage of a fun, fast and ecological option.
Greatly recommended!

Stayed: March 2014

Dear Rafael C,

Thank you for sharing details of your recent stay at the InterContinental Miami. I appreciate your loyalty to the InterContinental Miami and am pleased that we continue to deliver great service. The electric bikes are wonderful and I'm glad you were able to take some time to enjoy them. If you didn't take the Key Biscane trail, it is definitely a must do on your next visit!

I would love to obtain additional details of your booking and ask that you email me at guestreviews.icmiami@gmail.com with details of your stay at your earliest convenience. Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

You know an IC as soon as you're at the driveway; the ambience just screams luxury. I was checked in by Marjdeen, who was just an exceptional person. She seamlessly upgraded me to a much higher floor with a view of the bay. The room itself was great. I got to spend some time at the Miami Bayside which is just a walking distance from the hotel. The pool was beautiful as I got to swim as the sun was rising at the bay. Overall, a very comfortable time at the IC Miami.

Room Tip: High room! As everyone already suggests that.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Rohal M,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. As an InterContinental Hotel we strive to deliver superior service, luxurious accommodations and a memorable experience. I am pleased to hear that during your stay we were able to do just that. We like to offer our guests an upgrade whenever possible and I am happy that you enjoyed your beautiful view! Bayside is great for shopping, dining and live entertainment, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I do hope it won't be too long before you can visit us once again, I very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I booked a stay to celebrate a milestone birthday for my mother. Unfortunately, I got very sick and wasn't able to make the trip. I was worried about problems at check in because the reservation was in my name but I called the hotel and there were no issues. In fact, the hotel upgraded them to a very large room on a high floor and a view of the marina and sent up a small cake, which was a very thoughtful and nice gesture. My parents really enjoyed their stay. Valet parking was expensive but the parking garage at the near by Bayside entertainment complex was only slightly cheaper (about $32). A Metromover stop is in front of the hotel for free and fast access to downtown Miami. The American Airlines arena is within walking distance (beyond the Bayside entertainment complex). I will be staying at the IC for my next trip to Miami.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear YuppieonaShoeString,

First and foremost I'd like to wish your mother a happy belated birthday! Thank you for allowing us to be apart of your family as they celebrated this milestone. I am glad that your parents enjoyed their stay with us and that our staff went above and beyond to ensure that they had a great experience. We are always looking for ways to delight our guests and I'm pleased to hear that we were able to offer your parents an upgrade along with a special cake for your mother!

Thank you for sharing some insider tips with our future guests. I am thrilled to hear that you plan to stay with us again and hope you will reach out to me during the booking process so I may ensure I can meet you and exceed your already grand expectations of the InterContinental Miami.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Excellent location for a home base in Miami. Close to South Beach, cruise ship port, sports arena and shopping. Staff were amazing and accommodating including: Eduardo (Chief Concierge), Leonor (Check-in) and Eddy (Alamo car rental). Rooms are very spacious and have wonderful views of harbour. Restaurant in hotel (Toro Toro) is amazing! Great access to the waterfront and seawalls for a run or walk along the bay.The only thing I can say that was a bit of let down was a fee to use the fitness facilities. Other than that, I would highly recommend this hotel and will be definitely staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear markb1414,

Thank you for your kind words and sharing your 5-experience with us. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our central location and spacious accommodations. The views of the bay during an evening or early morning run are breathtaking and make for a much more enjoyable workout while burning off the calories from a great dinner in Toro Toro! I am so happy that you had an amazing dining experience in Toro Toro which is now ranked number two out of 3,561 restaurants in Miami on TripAdvisor!

I couldn't be happier to hear that everyone from Rosello, Leonor and Eddy were nothing but warm and welcoming towards you. This is a prime example of the quality of service and genuine hospitality we provide at InterContinental Miami. I am glad you had an exceptional time and hope that you will return again soon.