“Was not impressed”

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Was not impressed”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here recently on business, but would never return. I thought the hotel was dated, and long check in and check out lines with front desk people that often could not answer questions. I had to ask them about what was available to me in the hotel. I was not happy to find out that I had to pay extra to use the fitness center in this hotel, nor would get any free wifi in meetings rooms, (which was a huge problem for me since I was at a conference). When I complained, the front desk said I had wifi in the lobby area and I could pay for the upgraded meeting room wifi. I have never stayed in a hotel where that wasn't included. What good does lobby wifi do me, if I am not in the lobby all day?

I also had plumbing problems for two days, when my toilet overflowed twice, and various people kept coming to fix. My shower pressure was low, and I didn't have water coming out of duel shower heads like most people I asked. However, I did get a knock on my door early in the morning to find out that they were delivering a tooth brush I never ordered.

I think the thing that completely set me over the edge was no easy check out process. Every hotel I have stayed at in the last 5 years slips a receipt under your door. No receipt for me (I thought it was a mistake), and again had to wait in a very long line to check out, and I was strapped for time. I asked the front desk person if this was standard, and they said they never slip a receipt under a door. WHY if you already have my credit card on file??

The only saving grace in this hotel was a nice bartender that worked at Toro Toro named Erica, and a doorman calling himself Captain William "Bill".

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bellalynn
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Bellalynn,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my deepest apology for the experience you had and the negative affect it had on your stay. I also apologize for the service you received that fell below your expectations.

I am sorry that you feel our hotel is outdated as we just recently underwent a full renovation of our lobby and guestrooms. As you noted, there is a charge for wireless internet access. Members of IHG Rewards Club do receive complimentary WiFi however, availability of internet access in meeting spaces is typically arranged by the meeting planner at an additional fee.

I do apologize that the plumbing issues you experienced were not immediately addressed by our staff and I am sorry that you were so severely inconvenienced.

InterContinental® Hotels Group has been at the forefront of energy management and we believe sustainability is part of the way we operate and do business. The InterContinental® Miami has a robust strategy in place that seeks to create sustainable partnerships with the community and is in line with the brand’s Green Engage energy management system, helping us monitor and manage energy, water and waste more efficiently.

As a result, energy efficient lighting, low flow water toilets and faucets, and recycle bins in each of our guest rooms was implemented during our 2011 room renovation. We also do not slide copies of folios under the door. Guests can request a copy of their folio at checkout or also have the option for folios to be e-mailed to them in lieu of printed copies. Guests can also check out using the TV in their guestroom or by filling out an "Express Checkout" form and placing it in the drop box next to the front desk. I do apologize that these options were not explained to you prior to checkout.

Thank you for letting us know that Erica and Bill were able to make your stay a little bit brighter. I know they'll be thrilled to hear that their service was appreciated.

The feedback we receive from valued guests, like yourself, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I do hope that you'll give us another chance to change your impression and provide you with the true InterContinental Miami experience.

Arminio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel for our anniversary. Of course I had mentioned the occasion when I made my reservation, but expected nothing other than a "happy anniversary" upon check in. Low and behold upon entering the room we were greeted with a very fine bottle of champaign and chocolate covered strawberries! The room was clean and had a beautiful harbor view. Away from the hustle and bustle that is South Beach we decided on staying at this hotel. The perfect choice! Service at the hotel is 5 star. Everyone seemed to be aware that it was our anniversary. Rosello at concierge is extremely knowledgeable and made some great recommendations. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant, Toro Toro....AMAZING dinner! Natalia, Carlos and our waiter Matej were extremely hospitable. Again, 2 glasses of champagne waiting for us at the table. Ooooh and leave space for dessert! La Bomba is truly an amazing presentation and the perfect end to a memorable dinner! I will definitely be back for future occasions.

• Stayed August 2014
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear MannnyP,

Thank you so much for your 5-star review. I'm thrilled that we were able to offer you and your wife a memorable experience while celebrating your anniversary. It's truly a pleasure to hear that you had a flawless stay. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your little surprise and the dining experience you had at Toro Toro. I will be sure to share your kind words with Rosello, Natalia, Carlos and Matej. They are a few of our shining stars and I know they'll be thrilled to hear that their genuine care and warm hospitality doesn't go unnoticed.

I'm delighted that you plan to return and I hope it's not too long before you plan your next visit! Thank you again for your feedback and happy anniversary. I wish you many more years of happiness.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here during the NBA Finals- was excited to be staying in an "intercontinental" hotel as they are usually very luxurious. It certainly has the appearance of a luxurious hotel, with a grand entry lounge and the dancing LED mirage on the side of the hotel... but for me it stopped there. My "view" was of an apartment building directly behind the hotel in which you are essentially staring into the residents' windows. The rooms, while spacious, were very normal. Half the time my television had no signal. The walls are very thin so you can hear every conversation the guests next to you are having. When doors slam on your floor they echo throughout the halls- it is very loud, and annoying. The bathroom was fairly average, and actually the shower would leak all over the floor which became a nuisance to have to clean up. They did give you a little extra as far as essentials, like a toothbrush, toothpaste and cotton swabs. The gym, when you find it, is actually nice with top notch equipment- but as I was hinting, it is not easy to find initially. Myself and 3 other people spent about 15 minutes wandering around the floor trying to find it... you need to go through the spa which is odd, and there was no staff anywhere in sight to help, not even at the spa... keep in mind this was the middle of the day.

The location of this hotel is very good however. You are right across the street from the park, and you can literally walk to American Airlines Arena as well as Bayside. There are plenty of taxis waiting in the parking lot so getting around is never a hassle. There are a few restaurants onsite that are very good, and the room service was quite delicious as well.

I don't have a problem with this hotel, I'm sure for many people they will enjoy it- but for the price and having the InterContinental name I was very disappointed. There are many other hotels in the area that I feel are better options, including the JW Marriott around the corner which to me is the best hotel in Miami.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Bay or the City... not the building directly behind it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank KevRitch
Dear KevRitch,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our premier location, added amenities and dining options. However, as one of TripAdvisor's Senior Contributors, I am disappointed that the rest of your stay fell below your expectations and I apologize for the shortcomings that you described.

I do hope that you'll give us another chance to change your impression of our hotel. I am confident that if you returned, you would have a more memorable and favorable experience.

CHICAGO
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Miami Intercontinental prior to my cruise. The hotel is wonderful! I ad an excellent view of the port and Bayside park. It was walking distance to Bayside. The Buffett breakfast was a little expensive so you may want grab breakfast else where.

The rooms were spacious and clean and A/C was blasting! There is free Wi-fi once you sign up for the free rewards membership.

Overall I gad a wonderful stay and would definitely recommend! I have no complaints but recommend to the hotel to perhaps have a weekend shuttle over to South Miami.

indy1Chicago

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank INDY1Chicago
Dear INDY1Chicago,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks. I'm happy that you had a great pre-cruise stay and enjoyed our beautiful views, convenient location, accommodations and amenities.

As one of TripAdvisor's Contributors, I truly appreciate your suggestions and recommendations. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We were excited to stay here but from the moment we got in our room we were left underwhelmed. The view was fantastic and the bed was comfortable but I was grossed out by the bathroom. The tub had a piece of "jewelry" left in it if you know what I mean (pubic hair) and there was some brown spots on the closet door that could have been poop (the closet is located in the bathroom) but not sure and there was a gross brown handprint on the wall in the bathroom by the toilet and the magnifying mirror was so dirty. I took pictures but for some reason can't upload them here. Also, we noticed the garbage by the elevator overflowing one night and the next day it was still like that. Everyone talks about the staff being so nice...not once did any of the bellman open the door for me. Never did a staff member walk by me and say hello. Waste of money!

Stayed August 2014
Dear Annemarie B,

Thank you very much for letting us know your thoughts regarding your stay with us. I am disappointed that we failed to exceed your expectations and I apologize for the inconveniences you described.

It is only through feedback from valued guests, like yourself, that we’re able to provide superior guest service worthy of our AAA Four Diamond designation. With that said, I would like to discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at icmiami@ihg.com and include the photos that you mention at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I am in the Hotel now and my stay is really terrible. Here is why. Firstly, the Hotel itself is okay - perfect location, modern, with a large rooms, a nice view (I have specially booked a harbor view). The problems will starts on the reception and in the restaurant (by the way - don't go for a breakfast here, find another place in the city; don't ever choose the rate with the breakfast). And - my honest advice to you - choose another hotel in Miami.
The incompetent staff is the main problem! Terrible lanes near the reception - people are waiting for a check-out and the ladies there are soooooo slow :( Also you will spend a hours communicating to them, you have to fight for any little benefit. Just an example - I have an Ambassador status with IC (you can buy it for $200). The perks are not huge, but anyway - it is a upgrade guarantee, free fruits and water in your room. It IS working in more 20 IC I visited before. But NOT in Miami.
Well... Even a water was sent to my room only on the second day of my stay - after a telephone call from the IHG customer service. You have to start a real battle if you want your upgrade. The reception chief is totally incompetent. I was told (quote): "this benefit was cancelled", "the upgrade is on availability only" (and I was confirmed by IHG that it is obligatory for all IC). So, they refuse to upgrade and gave me a... Breakfast coupons as a sign of their generosity :))))
Well, better then nothing? Mistake!!' Breakfast usually costs $25 and it is sooooo poor - even if you got it free. Omelet station, some fruits, some bacon and potato. And my waiter asked me today "do you want coffee or tee" and... never come to my table anymore!!! So, I have not get my tea at all!!! The dirty dishes where also near me - nobody takes them until the moment when they want to give you a bill.
I can give you a lot of other examples. I have seen a lot of hotels and know the difference. IMHO - IC Miami is a perfect location but a terrible place because of their attitude to clients. It is the first Interconti which is totally disappointment.
Believe me - if you can - book a room in a neighbor hotel, not in IC Miami.

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank tvdima
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear tvdima,

Thank you for selecting the InterContinental Miami during your recent trip. I appreciate and value all feedback we receive and I am very disappointed to hear about your recent experience. As a valued IHG Rewards Club Ambassador, your satisfaction is extremely important to us and I am saddened to hear that the service you received fell below your expectations.

I sincerely apologize for your experience and hope that you will give us an opportunity to address the matter by contacting me directly at icmiami@ihg.com so that I can better assist you.

I look forward to welcoming you back so that we may restore your trust and loyalty in InterContinental Miami.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 9 August 2014

when we got here they give it to us a view room with early check in and late check out... The recepcionist #Leonor was extremely friendly helpfull and with an exepcional good mood i would dwfi etly rwcommend tgia hotel to every client i have. .... sice i have an travel agency

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Dann A,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and received great service from Leonor. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with our team and congratulate them on a job well done.

I appreciate your recommendations and look forward to your next visit.