“Great Location”

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #7 of 125 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel on feb 8th & 14th, 2009 (Before and after my cruise) and i must say the hotel was very convenient. Its approx $22.00 cab ride from the Miami airport, only $8.50 cab ride to the Miami Port, 4-5min walk to Bayside mall, the rooms are clean and modern, and the staff was very helpful in all areas. For those on a budget the hotel restaurant may be a little less pricey, however, your walking distance from some less expensive ones.

• Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank snc75

Reviewed 21 January 2009

Though we got a great rate on our room at this hotel (we stayed for 3 nights at the end of December 08) there were hidden extras that could really bump up the price of your stay here. You have to pay to use the gym and just about everything else on the premises. The valet parking (the only option) is pricey too.

The location is great though and the views from the harbour view room really were something special. As you'd expect from the price you pay the bathroom is huge which is a bonus when travelling with family.

Unfortunately we found the beds very uncomfortable which was a disappointment as was the time it took just to check-out of the premises. It all seemed a little disorganised and the level of customer service was way below standard given this is a 5 star hotel.

Nothing significant to spoil our holiday but next time I would forego the views and room size to save a few dollars and stay just down the road.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ll72
Reviewed 21 January 2009

This is a clean and nice hotel. But before you book it, be aware that you have to pay for EVERYTHING (I was surprised they didn't charge the elevators!). I will never stay here again, the pricing is outrageous.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Nika35
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We stayed for 2 nights pre-cruise first few days of 2009. We got an excellent rate thanks to internet and booked a deluxe harbor view king room directly with Intecontinental. A few days before arrival we received a welcome email from the hotel concierge containing helpful Miami information, which was a nice touch.
We arrived in the evening, checked in and were quickly sent to our room. Upon arrival, we noticed the room had a view of downtown. After calling guest services we were set up with the deluxe room on the 25th floor. The room was clean and fairly large, nice bathroom with a separate shower. I didn't think the room was in 5 star condition though.
Since it was fairly late, we ordered food from room service, which was pricey but not bad considering the 5star status of the hotel, and the food was ok. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the morning which was also pretty good but $$$.
We really enjoyed the view of the harbor, facing directly the Port of Miami, we enjoyed watching the ships come and go, and even seeing our ship arrive early in the morning on Saturday. We also got to see all the small boats and even some sea creatures were visible all the way from 25th floor. We watched a couple of dolphins and a some sea cows swim around the bay.
The location was great. It was easy to go to South Beach by bus, and the bayside marketplace was very close.
We used the TV express checkout, which was a breeze.
Overall we enjoyed our stay. I can't say that I would give this hotel 5 stars based on the room condition, and we definitely would not pay the full price to stay there, but if you can get a good deal, go for it.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GTB
Reviewed 3 January 2009

Let me just start by saying that parking costs $34 dollars a day. I may have been ok with this had I known, but I did not see this anywhere when I booked using the hotel website. The manager was quick to show me where the charge was buried in the website rather than to come to some agreement since this was a suprise. Be careful when staying here.....there is a charge for just about everything including to use the gym.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JenAtlanta10
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I recently stayed one night prior to cruising at the Port of Miami. We had a room on the seventeenth floor overlooking the bay. When we woke up in the morning it was nice to see our ship before we set sail, it just added to the excitement.

We arrived around 6pm and we quickly checked in. The front desk was helpful and told us that there were dining facilities within the hotel but we decided to head over to Bayside Marketplace instead. It is pretty touristy but we found a Cuban restaurant(more like diner) that we very authentic. We were the only people in the restaurant that spoke English and our waitress was friendly even though we had a little trouble communicating. The restaurant was The Latin American Cafeteria. Very good! Highly recommended.

We walked around and then headed back to the hotel. There is no where in the marketplace to buy supplies for a cruise but we asked a friendly bellhop and he directed us to a CVS two blocks up the street. Just hang a left out the front door and head up two blocks.

We stopped by Starbucks in the lobby but ended up going to the breakfast buffet that was provided in the hotel restaurant. It was pricey $57 with a tip but we really enjoyed it. Very relaxing and much better than an old baked good at Starbucks.

The gym is really nice. They do charge and extra $15 per person for a 24 hour period. Since we checked in at 6pm we used the gym both the day we checked in and the next morning. I tell you it is the best $15 I ever spent. Not so much for the gym (which is very adequate, free water too grab and extra for later). but the spa! With the fee you get to use the steam room, they have chilled towels for when you get out, a drench shower with soothing music and lights, a green tea energy drink. Then the ladies room has towels, soap, shaving cream in the shower, hair gel, dryers, and almost anything you need. They do provide a robe and slippers to use in the sauna. It was the BEST! I would have stayed for a week just to use it.

The cab rides in Miami are a little expensive just like any other city. From the airport it was about $25 and to the cruise port about $10. I did notice though that there was a monorail to the left of the hotel and the map was posted if you wanted to get around. It came by quite often.

I have read reviews of this hotel and cannot imagine how anyone encountered rude staff. The staff here was nothing but helpful and friendly.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and very spacious. The televisions need a little updating(still big and bulky) and the ironing boards are a little flimsy. The views are wonderful from the higher floors. The elevators were not slow when I was there and most times I was the only one in it.

Check out was under 5 minutes for me. I would recommend staying here post or pre cruise for the right price. I cannot comment on what it would be like to stay for business since I did not need any of the business facilities. At their normal rate of $350 it is a bit steep but if you can get a deal or want to splurge and are looking for a nice hotel then you will enjoy the Intercontinental.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BlushPell
Reviewed 10 December 2008

Stayed this hotel for 3 nights for a conference. Hotel interior and exterior is nice and restaurant food and services are good. But front desk has problems. We had to spend 40 minutes because a woman in the front desk could not get a correct charge amount. She did not understand how to split two-night charge among three persons and one-night charge between two persons. Due to this long waiting in check-out, I barely caught my plane, yet the woman refused to apologize. She said "I misundertood and am here to learn. Why do I need to apologize?"

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business