“Excellent hotel; great service; but no wifi”

Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay
Ranked #15 of 127 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Wifi would have gotten this hotel 5 stars. In this day and age, it is inconceivable that a brand that built itself on the business traveler would not have wifi.There is a wired data connection in the room but that ties you to the desk. In addition it cost $12.95 a day. In the lobby, there is wifi - for the same $12.95 a day.

Overall the hotel is very nice. The service is superb. One of the reasons I love Marriott is their focus on service. It starts with the valet and continues till you depart. When I arrived, the valet was smiling and helpful - explaining the various parking options. Self-park for $26 a day or valet for $30.

At the desk, the representative was pleasant and quick. The bellhop was awesome, he gave me a great orientation of the local things to do and pointed out several low cost shuttle options to area shopping districts. He told me about the free shuttle to South Beach and pointed out the location and times of the restaurant. He discussed the other hotel amenities like the pool and fitness center and pointed out where the rooms hair dryer could be found.

In the restaurant, the waitstaff was patient and smiling. Three separate staff members stopped by to check my satisfaction or refill my drinks. The food was delicious and almost reasonable for a hotel restaurant. Lunch was pulled pork and salad for $12.

The hotel is 5 minutes from a nice shopping area. There is also a shuttle ($5 each way) to the area's outlet mall which is about 25 minutes from the hotel. Between that and the free shuttle to south beach, I needed a new suitcase to get home my purchases!

The rooms are spacious and I love that Marriott room safes are large enough to hold my laptop. My room had a nice view of the harbor.

There is a decent sized fitness room with a variety of equipment and an AWESOME view. Makes you look forward to a morning or sunset workout!

The pool is a good size with ample seating and lounges. There is an outside bar as well. Close to the pool is a hot tub.

There are two additional reasons I seek out Marriott when I travel: 1) towels/washcloths: there are always plenty - I don't have to beg for them and 2) Marriott is a 'pepsi' hotel. THANKFULLY. I tolerate coke products at other chains, so I appreciate the pepsi! Yes, I know, not a reason to book a hotel...but we all have our needs!

The hotel is a nice value for the area. Many of the boutique hotels (and I have stayed in several) are not as well taken care of, don't provide the service and attention to detail, and are only slightly less expensive. This Marriott is a good option between the less expensive options and the very expensive high end options. You won't go wrong here.

Room Tip: If you frequent the pool area, request a room on or near the 5th floor. That is where it is located...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank prs2007
Write a ReviewReviews (3,234)

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Great location with great view. Some of the hallways smell like sewage. Concierge lounge had the same breakfast every day. Dinner snacks were fair to poor. Maids knock even when do not disturb on door.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Clean rooms, very comfy beds, pleasant atmosphere, good food in the restaurant, best breakfast room service we've ever had (eggs over easy were still hot and cooked to perfection! Particularly good hash browns, with onions). Happy hour was nice, with fried plaintains as the munchie. It seems the staff has all been recently re-trained in customer service, so all of the attention was a bit over the top, with lots of reassurances that if we needed anything to be sure to ask, but the actual execution was not quite up to snuff. Parking was extremely expensive, our full-size van wouldn't fit into their regular garage, so we had to valet it, which was $40/night, but it was just outside the lobby door so it was very convenient. The biggest problem, though, was on checkout, when we discovered the parking had been upped to almost $66/night, so BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR BILL CAREFULLY! They dropped it back immediately when we complained, but I'm sure many a business traveler wouldn't have been so diligent and they would've gotten away with it. They're obviously making an effort, they just haven't worked out all the kinks yet. Spectacular views if you're on the bayside, our room had a balcony with a table and chairs which was very nice. Pool was good, hot tub a bit too hot but agitated well. Pool bar was closed when we were there, but could be fun on a weekend. Overall a pretty good experience.

Room Tip: Try to get on the bayside to get a good view, some rooms have balconies, others don't, make sure...
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed at the Marriott, Biscayne Bay Mar 3 for one night. We were on Marriott points but were still upgraded to a fantastic room on the 30th floor. Check in was flawless, bell service was just right and the room was perfect in every sense. This is a great location--for both Miami and Miami Beach. They offer a shuttle service (free) over to Ocean Drive on Miami Beach. The Illy coffee bar in the lobby is perfect for breakfast. The entire staff acted like they were glad we were staying with them. Definitely a hotel to remember. You can dodge the sky high Miami Beach prices and still be right next door. This will be on our list of places to stay when we visit Miami again.

Room Tip: Ask for 3001 or anything that ends in "01". You will get an end room that looks right out...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The beds were very comfortable, the staff was welcoming, and the breakfast at the hotel's restaurant was delicious, but the fire alarm went off three times in the early morning hours, and, upon making it down from the 31st floor, the staff was disorganized and somewhat unapologetic. It's also in an area where there isn't a whole lot nearby. Plan on taking transit or a cab, or renting a car to see the sights.

1  Thank luvmycat
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I attended a conference at the Miami Marriott at the end of February 2012. It's fairly close to the Miami Airport (about a $25-$30 cab ride). As most of the other reviews have noted, the hotel is located right on a Marina with a decent water view but there is no beach. It is very near the Port of Miami and I could see at least four cruise ships from my room.

The lobby is attractive and modern. Check in was swift and painless. I was given a room on the 19th floor facing the marina and what I assume was an apartment building or condo. The room wasn't your typical box shaped. It had and odd curved shape because of the hotel architecture. It didn't bother me. There was a nice little balcony big enough for two small chairs and a side table.

The bathroom was small, but nicely decorated and bright. The downside was that the door opened inward and nearly touched the toilet when opened. There was a combination shower/tub with a boring shower head with less than great water pressure.

A nice sized flat screen HD television was attached to the wall. Next to is was a desk with multiple connections on the wall for your computer and other electronics. There is no wireless , but an Ethernet cable is provided. The trick is, you can't access the Internet via the plug in on the wall. The real connection is a small box under the desk. Be sure and turn off your wireless on your computer or you'll have difficulty connecting.

The hotel also doesn't let you know that the room safe is located in the desk drawer and not in the closet like every other hotel you've ever been in. Fortunately, I'd read other reviewers warnings about this.

I ordered room service the first night. The Customer Care people at the Marriott are excellent. My only complaint about room service was that the menu in the obligatory Hotel Services notebook was obsolete. You were supposed to use the room service menu provided in a separate card on the desk (with higher prices). Why they simply didn't remove the outdated room service information I don't know.

The room service menu is fairly limited and pricey. But all of the items I had were well presented and tasty. The room service staff were friendly and swift.

The first night I woke up at 3 a.m. to a loud party taking place at the apartment building across from the hotel. There was loud music blaring and people shouting from a veranda. Just when I was falling asleep again, a loud speaker within the hotel blared an announcement that there had been a false fire alarm and people could return to their rooms? I hadn't heard any alarm. The announcement was made several times.

Another thing I need to note about the hotel room was that the carpet was filthy. My feet would be black on the bottom after walking around barefoot in the room. It was visibly dirty as well. Though housekeeping in general seemed fine and efficient.

The Marriott is conveniently located near a peoplemover station. It is a short ride to the nearby Bayside Shopping complex with access to great restaurants and shopping. And it's free! There is also a small shopping center in the adjacent Doubletree Hotel that includes a few restaurants and shops as well as a small grocery/liquor store. That's about all there is within walking distance and Miami definitely isn't a pedestrian friendly city.

The pool at the Marriott is very small and isn't heated. It was 82 degrees when I used it and it was freezing. There is a small bar at the pool where you can get limited food and beverage service.

I did experience a few other oddities at the Marriott. There was someone staying on my floor that seemed to be practicing the trombone several hours a day. It was fairly loud in the hallway, but fortunately I couldn't hear it in my room.

I also got stuck in the elevator one night when returning to my room. We used the intercom and were assured a building engineer would free us. In the meantime, one of the passengers forced open the door and we were able to use one of the other elevators.

There is a nice business center where you can print boarding passes for free.

Over all, the Miami Marriott was a pleasant place to stay for business.

Room Tip: Shoot for a room on the Marina side, but be wary of the apartment building noise on weekends. Upper...
2  Thank timelvis
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I was in Miami at the end of February 2012 for a 3-day international conference and stayed at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay. The common complaint was that there was no Wifi in the hotel, which was very inconvenient for professional business people away from their office. And the three nights I stayed the fire alarm went off, which was really annoying. It might have been due to the renovation going on to install Wifi!?!

But besides these inconveniences, I enjoyed my stay at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay. There’s a useful coffee shop onsite called Espressamente. You can grab a quick breakfast and lunch there. However, the sandwiches at lunch are sold out quickly.

Catch is the restaurant onsite and has a nice bar and terrace with a nice view of the city.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable, with comfortable beds. Nice view of the boating dock but it can be noisy at night with the bridge nearby. Not ideal for light sleepers. The rooms facing the pool are quieter.

The hotel has a nice pool area with a bar which is quite convenient.

There is nothing much around the hotel except a great wine restaurant called Bin 8, which is 15 minutes away walking distance and a park by the water.

Plan $20 per cab ride to South Beach. Only 5 minutes to public transportation to downtown Miami. 30 minutes from FLL airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the area as it is quieter