“Stunning penthouse apartment” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Tangier, Morocco
“Stunning penthouse apartment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

This place was the cat's pajamas. I'm not sure what the hotel proper was like, but we booked a two-room suite and ended up with a magnificent penthouse apartment overlooking Biscayne Bay. Two huge bedrooms, three bathrooms, a fully-equipped kitchen, enormous sitting room and two big balconies where you could sit out and eat - all on the 41st floor. We had an amazing time.

Internet is free in the apartments and the lobby and works really well. And you can use the large pool and fully-equipped gym too. The apartments appear to be in the residential block adjoining the rest of the hotel. There's also a shopping plaza right there and a stylish Italian restaurant. (And there's a big Publix supermarket across the street too.)

Staff were really friendly and everything was perfect. It was more than I'd usually pay for a hotel, but definitely worth every cent.

Room Tip: Pick the two-room suite and ask if you can get the penthouse!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank monicaiguy
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
monicaiguy, thank you for staying with us and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the 2 bedroom condo you stayed in while with us. Thank you as well for your comments regarding our staff, we take pride in doing a great job so its nice to hear that. Hope that you'll choose to stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

I am in and out of Miami several times per year and have always wanted to stay at the Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay. Due to the so-so reviews I've always passed. I have to say that my trip was wonderful! I booked a Grand Suite Balcony and loved it!

3 Thank artyis
artyis, I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a wonderful trip. We hope that you will continue to stay with us when you're in Miami. Thanks again!
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed here the night before leaving on our cruise and it was a great place to stay and about a mile away from the Port of Miami (about an $8 cab ride). We stayed there mostly for the price as it was one of the few hotels that were under $200 per night. The front desk staff at this hotel was fabulous and they couldn't be more helpful and friendly. We found out upon check-in that we were upgraded to a bay view room, which was a nice surprise. They also offered us acomplimentary snack of warm cookies. I would stay here again for the cookies alone. Those were delicious!
When we got to our room, it was clean, however, the housekeeping staff had left a few dirty rags on the desk. We notified the front desk and they sent someone from housekeeping right away.
I agree with the other reviewers that the decor was a little outdated, but to me that doesn't take away from the hotel at all. We had a balcony that offered a nice view of the bay, the patio furniture was a little old, but I kept reminding myself that I was in hot sunny weather and wearing shorts in November, so I could deal with the old furniture.
There isn't much around this hotel in terms of restaurants, things to do, etc. but there was a free trolley service that was in walking distance and took us to Bayside, which is a neaby shopping area that has stores, restaurants, bars, entertainment etc. if you don't want to go down to South Beach.
The beds were very comfortable and had lots of pillows. The bathroom area had two sinks, one inside the bathroom and outside, so that was nice, as I could get ready when my friend was in the shower and vice versa.
The hotel had lots of shops in the lobby, more on the high end side, but, I was able to get a pre-cruise pedicure, and the staff there were excellent and friendly as well.
We also ate breakfast in one of the hotel's restaurants. I don't remember the name off-hand, but it was cafeteria style as they made your breakfast and put it in styrofoam containers. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. I had eggs benedict and they were very good.
We didn't get to take advantage of the pool since we were only there half a day, but it did look nice and there were lots of seats. Maybe next time.
When we left to go to the Port, it was very easy to get a taxi and it was a short ride.
Over all, this was a great hotel, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Karebear3434
Karebear3434, thank you for your comments about our staff and for staying with us before your cruise. I was happy to read your comments and glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will return in the future. Safe travels!
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

We stayed here for a week just for fun. Customer service is excellent; the staff is very professional and eager to please. The concierge service is top-notch as well; they go out of their way to make sure you know all the options available for what you're looking for.

The hotel is a 5-minute walk from a brand new Publix grocery store, which was nice because we wanted to keep food in the room so that we didn't have to spend a lot for every meal since dining out is expensive in that part of Miami. The rooms have little refrigerators (not mini-bars, so there's more storage room) which make it possible to store fresh, healthy snacks.

There's a free trolley that covers a good part of the sightseeing district and maps are available at the concierge desk. Public transportation is cheap and easy to use for areas not covered by the free trolley. The hotel is about a 6-7 minute ride by car to South Beach or an hour to walk (South Beach looked a lot closer on the map!)

Things I wasn't real happy with: the hotel is old and although the rooms are very clean, it's badly in need of rehabbing. The windows in our room were really dirty as were the elevators. (I've become accustomed to the immaculate standards at Mexican resorts.) I've stayed at a number of Doubletree hotels elsewhere and this one needs to come up to standard with the others. Doubletree advertises the quality of the beds and usually I find this to be true, but one of the beds in our room had a mattress that was so worn that it created a cavernous ditch as soon as you put weight on it. The wallpaper is dated and our room was very dark for my taste, even in the daylight hours with the sun shining brightly outside.

There are only a handful of restaurants (most are pricey) within walking distance of the hotel. Other options are to ride the trolley to a more populated area or go to South Beach. You have to take a trolley or a car/taxi to get to retail areas that are of interest to tourists/vacationers.

Daylight savings time had ended over 3 weeks prior to our stay, but the time stamp on the TV had not been rolled back an hour and the electronic TV guide was virtually worthless because it showed selections starting an hour later than it actually was (e.g. if it's 1pm, the TV guide showed shows starting at 2pm or later). This was known to be an issue, but the response I received was that the service provider was responsible for changing the time. I escalated the issue up the chain of command and the time stamp was changed the day before we left. This issue was annoying to me because the staff knew about it but was passively waiting for the service provider to change it (when would that be? It had been almost a month since clocks were rolled back) instead of proactively contacting them to fix it.

If you want a final invoice for your stay, you have to physically go to the front desk, which is a little outdated in terms of technology available that precludes the need to do this. Upon checking out, I noticed a charge to a room for a phone call that we didn't make. The front desk person assured me the charge would be reversed. After a week and half, I noticed my credit card had still not been credited. I called again; it's been 2 weeks since I left the hotel and the charge has not yet been credited.

Would I stay here again? Probably not - I would rather stay in South Beach where there is close proximity to restaurants and shops. If the rooms were updated, allowed more sunlight and had clean windows I might reconsider.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the water and provides good sunlight.
3 Thank Barb D
Barb D, thank you for your response and for choosing to stay with us. I apologize for the incovenience regarding the time stamp regarding the TV's. I'm not sure why that was taken care of earlier but again I do apologize for this. Thank you for your comments regarding the rooms, we are in the process of revitilizing our hotel rooms from top to bottom. I do hope you will give us another chance once our renovations have been made.
Central Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

Stayed here the night before a cruise to the Bahamas. It was a nice hotel, just not much in the immediate area for food/bars, except the hotel itself.

The only complaint is with the Valet stewards. They had a bad attitude, and all but demanded that we use valet for parking (which, apparently it is a valet only hotel). That is fine, but there is no need to get snappy with guests, who are JUST arriving. Bad way to start off with a guest's first impression.

After we were finally able to find a parking area where we could park ourselves (car full of expensive dive equipment, valet was not an option), the room was very nicely done, and was a great value for the price paid.

Would come back, hoping the valet staff will be nicer next time. Was a short stay, but the room was A+

1 Thank Travelbug478
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Travelbug478, thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your review of the hotel. I've informed my GM about your experience with the valet staff. He is going to speak with the manager of the valet company. I do apologize for your experience with the staff but thank you again for your comments regarding the hotel rooms and we hope to have you back in the future.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

Great property, management went out of their way to make sure the room was perfect. Housekeeping staff was great although they did clean our room pretty late in the evening. Upgraded to the 3bedroom condo with a beautiful view will defently stay here again when in Miami again!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dwoody83
Dwoody83, thank you for your comments regarding our staff. Very happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself and were happy with the condo for your reservation. Looking forward to having you with us again.
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

What a relief after the nightmare of Miami International Airport! Check-in smooth and efficient. Bell service got my suitcase up to my room very quickly and apologised for the delay (what delay)? I'd booked a King Bed room, without realising I would actually get a large junior suite. Luxury, especially for a solo holidaymaker. Good view of marina, everything clean and functioning properly. A very comfortable bed, too.

I must mention the ladies at the concierge desk. I wanted to see wild manatees, and they came up with a number of suggestions. As it was getting late in the afternoon, I just went to the marina in the hope of seeing some, but no luck. On coming past the desk after doing some shopping and having a meal, one of the ladies called me and asked if I had seen any manatees. On my negative response, she told me about an area where I would likely have better luck. She proceeded to give me detailed instructions on getting there, and wrote it all down as well. Unfortunately my day trip the following day didn't get me back on time and I was flying out the next morning. I have kept the instructions for my next visit, as I will surely stay at this hotel again.

All in all, a wonderful experience at this hotel. Thank you to all the excellent staff concerned.

Management - if you can find out who the wonderful lady at the concierge desk is, please give her a special thank you from me and a big raise! (The evening in question was 19th November)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and marina/bay view.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank greenwichsteve
greenwichsteve, thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and of course for choosing to stay with us. I'm glad to hear that your trip improved after you got to the hotel. Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be back again.