“Not bad, but not a great area”

Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
Ranked #50 of 128 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel itself is next to some condos and an indoor shopping area with restaurants, so that part is very nice and convenient. However, the area driving into the hotel area is not great - recommend taking the expressway, and not the back way, from the airport. The hotel itself feels a bit worn, but rooms and bathrooms are nice and generally updated, and very spacious with a balcony.

Room Tip: Many rooms seem to be on the sides of the building so you can get a view of the water.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kim P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We really liked this hotel. We were just there for one night before a cruise the next day. We got upgraded to a huge suite with a marina view. The pool area was beautiful at night and we were the only ones there. The room was clean, there was even a bidet but I wasn't brave enough to use it. :) We could see our cruise ship from the balcony in the morning. They do have transportation to the port, not free but a reasonable charge. It was a guy with a big van and a trailer for luggage but he got us all there safe and sound.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The front desk staff were incredibly professional and courteous and extended to us a warm welcome. We were booked into a junior suite but on check-in were told we were upgraded to a condo in the apartment side of the hotel. We were only in town for 1 night prior to a cruise.

We were delighted to hear we were getting an upgrade but that excitement was short-lived when we got to our condo on the 17th floor. The 2 bedroom condo while spacious was incredibly dated and the furniture was well worn. The stunning views of the bay were a nice positive but the rusty and dirty balcony furniture let down the experience. The cleanliness was disappointing, we looked around the kitchenette for the rubbish bin and found it full of rubbish including rotting fruit hidden in a cupboard. Cleaners must have been in a hurry. We didn't realise until late in the night that the blinds in the master bedroom, didn't shut the whole way meaning we were woken early in the morning by lots of daylight. Simple detail that caused us irritation.

The hotel has lots of moderately priced food options nearby. We found the Marriott next door to be the perfect place to stop for a drink on the outdoor terrace. We wished we had booked in there instead.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to return to this hotel, despite wonderful staff. As guests staying in the condo side of the hotel, we felt totally out of place and not at all part of the hotel. That coupled with valet only parking at an excessive $29/day rate makes it an unattractive proposal.

Maybe if we were housed in the main hotel we would have had a different experience.

Room Tip: Get a bay facing room in the main hotel building!
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Excellent hotel to stay at and would highly recommend. Friendly service, great employees and overall very helpful. Stayed for 1 night and couldn't have been happier, we were upgraded to a 3 bedroom condo, welcomed with warm cookies and just an overall great experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marlene B
Reviewed 23 May 2014

They will charge you for your room 5 days in advance...no matter what your reservation. I booked a reservation in November for a wedding in May. I never was asked nor did my reservation say I had to pay any amount before I checked in. I was called 5 days prior to checking in saying that my credit card declined that the hotel was attempting to charge my room. I called the hotel and was spoken to very disrespectfully. The manager never acknowledge their wrong doing. I then called the corporate office to complain. The corporate office says I was right. I asked for an apology from the hotel and I never received one. Upon my actual checkin I asked for the manager. Again she never apologized on behalf of the hotel but says there was a miscommunication. I will never stay here again or any Hilton property!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

lakiea s, I'm sorry that you felt disrespected while speaking with one of our managers. Its fairly common practice to authorize credit cards prior to guest arrivals. Especially during busy, holiday weekends. Also, the reservation you had was part of a contracted wedding room block in which all guests were charged a first nights deposit of room and tax. I apologize if there was a miscommunication regarding the information however this was specifically contracted for the discounted rate you received. Sorry to hear that you wont be staying with us again, however please note that most hotels do proceed with credit card authorizations prior to guest arrivals.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

The view from the balcony room is quite nice. The balcony was dirty and the hallways were a bit dirty. The room itself was clean with a comfortable bed. The pool area was large and generally well maintained. Overall an average room, but I did expect it to be a little better.

1  Thank Vincent S

Vincent S, thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your review. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and view. I do apologize for the messiness you experienced in the hallways, we're constantly striving to improve so thank you again for your comments. Safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Although we were there for just one night we loved everything about the room and overall hotel look and feel. Our room was like a small apartment with a walk in closet. My wife really felt at home and comfortable. Our only complaint was from the noise in the next room where they played loud music most of the night. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.