“grand - biscayne bay”

Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
Ranked #50 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel staff was great - but for the cost, the amenities were below par. It was more of a condo complex than a full service hotel. We stayed at a DoubleTree in Tampa - paid less and had a full service bar, good food for in-room dining and even had a decent free wi-fi service....

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Write a ReviewReviews (2,082)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

If you are traveling on a limited budget and can only afford the standard room, do not bother with this hotel. The room was small and the sliding door faced other buildings. Beside the two small drawers in the bedside tables there were NO other drawers in the room. The TV sat on a credenza that had large shelves with a small refrigerator but NO drawers.
The bathroom was so small that the door hit the toilet and you had to close the door to use that or the shower. The lighting consisted of two recessed ceiling lights, which I must say is the worst for putting on your makeup. There was a large closet and an in room safe. The upper TV channels including HBO were all fuzzy. I am pretty sure they get an analog signal for these so they were very difficult to watch, sort of like looking through a screen.
You must valet park and the $29 a day really makes this standard room expensive. If you are not a Hilton honors member add $9.95 for internet access.
The bed was comfortable, but as always seems to be the case in Hilton properties, there is a sheet and a heavy comforter. There was a blanket in the closet, but I wish they would put a light blanket on the bed.
The good news the room remained cool, the bad news they only way to do that was to run the A/C all night and it was pretty noisy.
There are several restaurants in the attached mall, but they are quite expensive. Most did offer a good happy hour. I ate in several and have nothing to recommend. You can walk to a Publix, a Burger King and a Checkers but there really is nothing around here.
There is a big sign in the lobby telling you of the free trolley. We asked the concierge about it and she said we could catch it out front every 15 minutes and could take it all over. Sounded great to us as the traffic and parking in downtown Miami is awful. So off we went. It was tricky to figure out where we wanted to get off, but we managed, walked several blocks and found the area where we wanted to have dinner. To return, we went to a closer trolley stop and got on. After a while we realized we were going south, not north where the hotel was. We asked the driver, who spoke no English and showed him the map where we wanted to go. He shook his head yes. So another 10 minutes and we are even further south. So we went up to him again and now he says no we must get on another trolley that goes north. We ended up getting off and taking a cab but the concierge never said anything about there being two trolley routes nor what the sign on the trolley should say so that we could get back to the hotel.
Unless you have some compelling reason to stay in this area, or if you can afford the rooms that are suites, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sendmehome
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your room and also the difficulties you had with the Miami Trolley thats run by the city. Hope you did enjoy your time in Miami despite the issues with the lack of drawers and recessed lighting in the bathroom. Safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was definitely a 5 star hotel, for me and my family. We rented a two bedroom condo, equipped with all the appliances and comforts of home. The housekeepers did an amazing job every day, as did the workers, at the front desk and the concierge. Publix supermarket was 1/2 block away, which was a PLUS !!! This hotel was a short drive to the beaches and the South Beach area. I would. def. recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at the amenities and service provided by this hotel. I selecetd it because I am an Hhonors member and it was in the vicinity I wanted to be. Now that I have stayed there, I would return over and over. It was a truly excellent experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel suffers from an identity crisis. It's trying to be too many things to too many people, and not performing well for any sector. The rooms are old, tired, smelly, and with air-conditioners so noisy it's difficult to sleep. The staff is curt, disinterested and unfriendly, and the food is, at best, average.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We are in the process of renovating the hotel room a/c units I do apologize for the issues you had during your stay with us.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotels staff was very accommodating and very helpful they went above and beyond to make my stay great especially the night audit lady ( i apologize i forgot her name) made sure i was well taken care of . The room looks like it was just remodeled , and was very nice the only downside was the television it seemed not to be connected correctly as most channels did not work and the ac was quite loud sounding like when you first start your car in like 30 second burst or perhaps an old refrigerator that makes the humming noise overall nice and very close to restaurants i will stay here again

Room Tip: I woud recommend a room on the bay side of the hotel as these are quiet but you will have to do the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here for one night because we checked out early ,it was that bad. The first Impression was really nice , the outside of hotel , so I went to check in was given the keys. took the elevator, the room smelled so bad , i called the front desk and she said she can send someone up. The bathroom toliet had mold all around the base. the ceiling was bubbling. So the agent arrived 15 minutes later and says ewh! this is hot and smuggy, the floor appears to have a leak! , i can change your room. Mind you the room change was on the lower floor but, when we got out the elevator we walked around 4 corners to reach the room , we passed 40 doors to get to the elevator. I complained and checked out early the next morning. The second room was not better except it had it had dirty tiles, I sheet had dirt marks on them . so we slept in the other bed. i went to use the iron the next moening . all the setting buttons were broke off, lol . I am done with the DOUBLE TREE BRAND HILTON SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.

Room Tip: Do not Stay Here, Take the reviews Seriously as I did Not!
2  Thank Jarelish

Sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with us, I do apologize for the issues you had and wish you safe travels in the future.