“Not A Great Experience”

Ranked #58 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Florida
“Not A Great Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stayed here last June and it seemed okay. Stayed here again in 11/12 and it wasn't good. Arrived around 1pm and were told that no rooms were available on the executive level that we'd reserved unless we wanted a smoking room. The front desk personnel could have cared less and told us that we needed to wait until a room came available, so we sat in the lobby and waited and waited and waited. She never called us over, but finally I went over for the third time and asked if our room on the executive level was ready. She said it was, so we checked in. Went up to room and it was made up nicely however had a very large stain in the middle of the carpet. Bathtub had a clogg that wouldn't go down. Not to mention that the room was freezing cold. So I called down to the front desk and they told me the hotel didn't have any heat, however they would send up a space heater. Adequate, however very noisy clicking on and off all night long. The front desk also did not inform us that the executive lounge was closed on the weekends. Nor did they let us know that they didn't honor the 'park and fly' feature. We still had to pay $28 in a lot nearby for three nights parking. Nor did they tell us that a breakfast came with our room. Upon checkout I noticed a certificate for 2 in the check-in packet. Nobody at the front desk seemed to care. We will definitely go back to the Marriott chain for reliable service and the 'park and fly' feature offered to those who leave out of MIA. Upon our return at the MIA airport, shuttle was nowhere to be found. Waited almost 45 minutes and called twice.....never again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the runway.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bocagrlz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

I had a one night stay at the Double Tree MIA. Free transport to and from the the MIA airport. Confusing at the airport for all hotels no signs or info but you just need to flag down the hotel bus or van you are staying at. Every 30 mins for DoubleTree.

Arriving at the hotel it is in the aiport district, not much around. The checkin staff was very friendly and the hotel was well maintained. I was early to checkin so I waited at the lobby bar. The staff was excellent. I noticed couple dislike something with their food, replaced the food, and the manager give personal attention and offer dinner at their restaurant because of the mistakes. That shows to me they try to make every customer happy and satisfied. My food was great and the servers good all around.
The room was very large, great view, great bed, flat screen TV. A great stay and a great sleep.
When I first checked into the room, I did notice the bathroom may need a little attention, so I stepped out asked the wonderful room stewertess to take a look and she imediatly fixed the situation.

I would recommend this hotel for buiness and travel. Great connection for the cruise lines.

Thanks!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I had a really nice stay at DoubleTree by Hilton MIA, the staff was really nice & the rooms were really clean & comfortable. The location is great for people that need to stay close to the airport, MIA is about 5 minutes away. It was a lot cheaper than the hotel I stayed at the previous night in Kendall which was $150 & DoubleTree was only $100 & in a better location. It was kind of hard to find the entrance to the property at first, I ended up missing the entrance & getting back on 836 from 72nd ave & got back off 836 at 57th ave to NW 7th street which is where the entrance really is located. I would definitely stay at DoubleTree MIA again the next time I visit Miami!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bleinenbach407
Beckley, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Staying here tonight due to an unexpected layover, this is certainly not a hotel I would choose to stay at again. The lobby appears to be very nicely remodeled, but there is a horrid odor throughout the entire building, including my room. I guess I would call it a mildew smell, but it's overpowering and obnoxious. Other than the awful smell, the rooms are very dated but clean. Hoping for at least a decent nights sleep.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
tony f, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
I apologize for the unfortunate odor you experienced, throughout our hotel. We’ve reviewed your feedback with our engineers and management team and we do not have any other reports of this type of odor: the lobby, lounge and restaurants are all newly renovated and we do not have any type of mildew situation that would lead to this type of commentary- we did have a large group of international guests (smokers) staying at the hotel over hurricane Sandy who smoked outside the building and some of that may have filtered back into the lobby, but certainly not the entire hotel and we also did have some roofing work completed at the end of October/ beginning of November but that is the full extent of any type of odor that may have permeated the building for a brief time, since we do not know your date of stay we are unable to correlate these events. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can gather more details and help make things right. Tony Ferrara, General Manager, 305-260-8912, Tferrara@doubletreemacc.com. Again my apologies, we hope to see you again during your next visit to the area

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel front desk and restaurant staff were wonderful,my only complaint was the shuttle driver. One trip he made people wait at the airport for the next shuttle saying it was full.....there were 4 available seats still. On the trip back to the airport (we were traveling as 2 couples) we loaded the shuttle leaving seats for our husbands only for the bus driver to close the doors and try to drive off telling them it was full and they'd have to wait. Again there were still open seats so it was a lie.

• Stayed October 2012
Cambridge MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel during October 2012 awaiting the moving van. We chose it because the hotels on Miami Beach were exorbitantly priced, and this hotel was dog friendly. Finding the property entrance is off-putting, the address provided (72nd Avenue) is not where the hotel entrance actually is (7th Avenue) requiring you to pay for convention/self-parking before getting to the hotel entrance, where valet is available at $7 more a day (worth it, unlimited in/ out). Not a problem the second time you need to go there. The biggest problem was our first (yup, we had to move) room, which suffered from an obnoxious odor (mildew wet rag) coming, we decided, from the AC unit. One of the most disgusting smells around, for sure. We moved the second night, after talking to an assistant manager, who thanked us for the feedback and promised to move our bags, but didn't follow through. First night, light dinner through room service was adequate; second night in the hotel restaurant was forgettable. Breakfast available to HiltonHonors members for free was quite good, with a very good selection of hot and cold foods. Second night room was large and smelled much better. Noticed throughout both rooms that items were broken or had become unattached from beds and walls and not repaired; hotel needs much better quality control by housekeeping. Empty beer bottle found on balcony also. Give me a break. Hotel staff generally polite and accommodating.

Room Tip: Assume you may want to change given the condition of rooms. Some issues may not be obvious at first...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

Thank you late night staff!!!! I have worked at a hampton for 8 years now and customer service is our #1st,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10th priority!! lol My husband and I showed up around 11 pm and the ladies at the desk made us feel so welcomed and without questions our requests were gladly taken care of!! Kudos to this service which makes me proud to work for this brand!! I will certainly stay here whenever we are traveling to this area and will make sure my guests do as well!! Very clean, GREAT breakfast and SERVICE in dining!! Our new favorite place in miami!!! GREAT JOB!!! ....and THANK YOU!!!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the view from the 11th floor and loved watching the planes!! And, were never woken by th...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Hilton Miami Airport