“satisfactory but not great.”

La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North
Ranked #71 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Wiesbaden, Germany
“satisfactory but not great.”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Why is it that there are no decent medium-priced hotels in eastern Florida for the transient visitor?
The all are seedy, with breakfast offerings in need of a trained dietician. I am disappointed in the lack of adequate help that speaks good English, and always having to telephone for airport pickup
from this chain.

Room Tip: Ask for front room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aszu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Allow me to get the good out of the way:

There is a free airport shuttle and our driver was excellent- very courteous and polite. (That's all for the good.)

After a delightful cruise aboard the Royal Caribbean, we decided to get a hotel overnight as our flight was changed for a 615a departure the following day. We called numerous hotels near the airport (and even the hotel inside of MIA) only to be told there were no vacancies due to the occurrence of the Miami Grand Auto Show. A quick search online gave us the number to LaQuinta Inn Miami Airport North. The clerk told us there was only one double occupancy room left so we quickly made the reservation. She also was quick to dispatch the shuttle (as we was currently en route to drop off guests).

We were given room 233 upon check-in. The clerk advised that we come downstairs the next morning and she would immediately hail the shuttle to take us to the airport. We walked past the pool and up the stairs (as all of the rooms are outside and the elevator was farther than our room) to get to our room. There was a weird smell when we opened the door, but we couldn't tell if it was mold, mildew, or cleaning solutions. The carpet was also stained throughout the room. Nonetheless, we dropped our bags and headed back to find something to eat. [FYI: there is a Wendy's, McDonald's, and a strip mall with both Peruvian and Chinese restaurants.] After eating we came back to the room and that's when we saw the disaster for what it was. I went into the bathroom and pulled back the shower curtain to reveal the filthiest tub I've ever seen at a hotel. (Note: we showered in our flip flops.) The bathroom was just a mess-- even the toilet paper had green mold on it. (Luckily there was an unopened roll behind the toilet.) While I was in the bathroom, I heard a shriek. My cousin pulled back the covers to take a nap and there were black flecks all over the sheets. I told her to move over to my bed and we'd just sleep on top of the covers (and on top of the unused towels). In the midst of picking up our bags and moving them to higher ground (as the floor and bed could no longer be trusted) we noticed little ants creeping along the corners of the nightstand [some of which appeared to fly]. I was enraged with the conditions. I called downstairs to tell them of our horrors and the clerk was very nonchalant about the entire thing. She offered no apologies but did offer to move us the following night. I reminded her that this was only an overnight stay. She then had the bright idea (sarcasm) to send up another hotel employee with bug spray. I told her that was not the best idea as we'd be left to inhale the fumes. About 10min after I hung up, we heard a knock on the door. It was a male employee holding a can of spray. I grabbed the spray and I quickly noticed that is was an odor eliminator. I asked the employee the purpose of the spray and he stated, "it works for everything." I declined his offer and shut the door. We slept in the fetal position on top of the bedspread and towels that night- the most uncomfortable ever.

The next morning, we ran downstairs to check-out and catch the shuttle as we were all to anxious to leave the hotel. We asked the clerk to dispatch the shuttle and she told us that we would have to wait until 6a. When we told her the info we had been given the previous afternoon, she informed us that the shuttle only runs every hour on the hour. (The time was 5:04a, meaning we had just missed the 5a shuttle.) We told her of our flight time (615a) and she looked at us dazed and confused. We then asked her to hail a cab, which came quickly, and we were on our way.

This was my first (and definitely my last) stay at a La Quinta property. I went onto the company's Facebook page to express my disappointment and I am still awaiting a response from corporate. I didn't expect Waldorf-type conditions for $180/night (with taxes and fees) but I did not expect to stay at Chilligan's Island either.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank JoClayB
Corning, California
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed at La Quinta Miami Airport North because they have a 24hr free airport shuttle and because it is close to a lot of restaurant's..
I was picked up within 15 min's after getting my bags.
I grabbed some take out for the near by Hong Kong city restaurant, that too was fast and easy, food was great the beds are great.
My ride back to the airport was fast and I made my flight on time Thanks

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank Christopher K
Pleasantville, New York
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed here for an overnight transfer through Miami Airport. The hotel is near the airport with a free shuttle, although it is a bit further from the airport than other hotels, Our room was nice and clean. The A/C was a little noisy, but it was basically white noise that helped drown out any noise from the airport across the street. There are a few places to eat within walking distance - a McDonald's, Denny's, and a small shopping center next door with several small Latin/South American restaurants.

There was a continental breakfast included, however it was very crowded in the morning. The food was adequate - toast, packaged muffins, bagels, cereal, apples, oranges, juice & coffee. With the crowd it was a little difficult maneuvering between the toaster, coffee & tables.

Depending upon the rate you get, I would recommend the hotel for an overnight stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingFloyd
Williston, Vermont
Reviewed 18 November 2013

A basic hotel that has great staff, clean rooms, but dirty stairwells. Breakfast was basic, but fine. Convenient to airport. I prefer fresh air over air conditioning, but that was not an option. I like the ease of transportation offered from Hotel to Airport every 300 minutes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sgutwin
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Good airport hotel .. 10 minutes from airport with free shuttle. Nice big room, helpful staff, close to many dining options, seems to be bus stop just outside . Good variety for free breakfast.
May need to ring for shuttle to come to airport.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport West
Ramada Miami Springs/Miami International Airport
Quality Inn Miami Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport East
Holiday Inn Express Miami Airport Doral
Regency Hotel Miami
Regency Hotel Miami
#38 of 122 in Miami

Been to La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North? Share your experiences!