“Excellent Location and Service”

Courtyard Miami Downtown/Brickell Area
Ranked #41 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Canada
“Excellent Location and Service”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My fiancée and I stayed here both before and after a cruise. We chose the Courtyard based on good reviews and a decent price. We travel to Miami fairly often, and typically stay at a different hotel in South Beach. We decided to give the Courtyard a try due to it being much closer to the Port of Miami and about half the price of the other hotel.
I have to say, we were pleasantly surprised. First of all, service is excellent. Everyone we encountered and dealt with at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful. It seemed they went out of their way to provide good service. This is not something we've come across often in other hotels. After returning from our cruise, the front desk staff even remembered us and asked how our trip was. I didn't expect that!
The location of this hotel is great. There are lots of shops and amenities within easy walking distance. CVS is across the street, Starbucks just down the road (although the hotel has a Starbucks in the lobby as well), and several restaurants are in the area. The Bayside mall is an easy and pleasant 10-15 minute walk away and is a great way to spend some time. And if you're going on a cruise, the Port of Miami is a very quick taxi ride away. A taxi from the hotel costs about $7, but you can also book the shuttle service for $5 a person. The shuttle will bring you directly where you need to go.
Rooms are simple, maybe a tiny bit dated, but that didn't bother us. One thing we liked is that we encountered no noise issues. My fiancée is a VERY light sleeper and typically has trouble sleeping in hotels due to noise from the street or adjoining rooms, and we didn't have that problem here.
The hotel has a gym that we looked at, but didn't use. It seemed to have all the basics. There is also a rooftop pool which unfortunately was closed during our stay. We were a bit disappointed about that.
We tried the Bistro in the lobby once for breakfast. It was a good selection at decent prices.
The business amenities are good. There are several computers and printers available for free use. The internet is VERY slow, but we were grateful for the free usage.
Overall, I would stay here again if going on a cruise or looking to spend time in Downtown Miami. The price is good and the service excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wtbwordly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Enjoyed our stay at this downtown Courtyard hotel. The location is excellent. It's very close to the cruise port, and actually convnenient to the airport as well. The front desk staff were great. Our friend from S.G., California was great at the front desk. We had come off a cruise ship and arrived very early, but he was able to get us into a room right then. The location is great and you can walk all over. The Bayside park area is very close, and there all sorts of things to do there, as well as bus tours, etc that one can take. The room was comfortable, and the A/C worked great! Free wifi and a nice little restaurant on the premises. The pool was open and looked nice. For purposes of pre or post cruise, or for being in a central location, this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank jldjd
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have very mixed feelings about this location - but my gut would recommend staying at another hotel in the downtown area. The hotel itself is in a good location for downtown and easy to get to many nearby areas by foot, people mover, or cab. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, clean, quite and plenty of hot water for a shower. The food in the cafe is very good as well. That's about all you'll get here - the customer service is average at best (and I am being generous). I was less than impressed with the response of staff to a few strange situations that occur - they all gave that "blank stare" - it's definitely not the Marriott customer service that I have seen at most every other property. My security door latch to my room was broken - and I told the front desk and they said "really?" and followed by that Courtyard Marriott Downtown blank stare. I was surprised to that I had 2 flyers slid under my door in the early evening - that bothered me - how can the hotel not know there is shady flyers being placed under paying customers doors? With unregistered people allowed access to the floors makes me wonder if security is really important. I left early - there are other hotels in that provide good customer service, rooms with door latches, and security.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank AtravelJunkies
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Overall this is a very nice hotel, with large, well appointed rooms, in an excellent downtown location. Free wifi and good connection, nice beds, large room. Really a very nice room.
We checked in early, around 11.30, and a room was ready for us on the 7th floor.
When we got there we noticed our room was right across the entrance of the swimming pool and the fitness center AND the elevators.
That was kind of tricky.
The 1st night was OK. All nights after that we were woken up constantly because of slamming doors and obnoxiously loud and shouting people in the hallway. (I can never understand how people seem to think they're all alone in a hotel and talk like they're in the market)
Of course I called reception and all they said they could do was to send security. They didn't even suggest moving us to another room, something I was hoping for.
Maybe we were just unlucky to be staying there for the 4th of July, at the other hand I had the impression the 7th floor was some kind of "special" floor.
One more thing was the service in the breakfast room : not very friendly and terribly slow.

Room Tip: Forget about the 7th floor !
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dezdemona
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel is probably one of my favorite places to stay whenever I go to Miami. The hotel is basically in the heart of the financial district in the Brickell/Miami River area. Walking distance to the people mover and Bayfront Park. Plenty of choices around for shopping/restaurants however mostly Latin American cuisine. Hotel well kept and rooms are extremely spacious with comfortable beds. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful when answering questions. Area around the hotel has reminders of Miami's grittier past unfortunately, but in my opinion gives it plenty of character and attitude! In the numerous stays however I have not had any issues and honestly feel more than comfortable walking around late, late at night. The best part is good nightlife is within walking distance/cab ride away as well as museums and interesting architectural designs that tend to be hidden away. When staying here, take a moment if possible, and just go exploring...you will be pleasantly rewards.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have balconies, so if looking for one for great vistas you will need to request a suit...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank patterd7
Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel offers excellent value! The rooms are clean and the staff are very professional and attentive. It gives the impression of a very well run hotel. There was a quiet and peaceful atmosphere. One needs to keep in mind that this hotel is not on a par in terms of appearance and amenities with the very high end hotels in the vicinity, but it is also a fraction of the cost! For me I see no need to spend the extra money when I can have such a pleasant experience at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank gatorbaitnTal
Glencoe, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

When catching a cruise ship what better place to stay than downtown Miami. The hotel is located just a 10-15 minute walk from the water and offers easy transportation to the piers. Last time I was at the hotel it was under going renovation, it was a complete success. Rooms and service by the staff have only got better and their professionalism makes you feel even more welcome. From check-in staff and housekeeping - thank you for a great stay. I will be back for sure!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple