“great for the meat lover”
Review of Grimpa Steakhouse - CLOSED

Grimpa Steakhouse
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Brazilian, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Street with SE 1st Ave.(Brickell Plaza)
Transit: Nearest one is the 10th St Promenade Metromover on Brickell.
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We found the staff's english sometimes difficult to understand and so initially we didn't understand what type of service it was in this restaurant we wandered into looking for a great steak. The cuts of steak were tender and full of flavour. We probably would have had better value getting an a la carte meal but enjoyed the opportunity to be brought many cuts of beef and some other meat to try. My 11 year old steak loving so thought he was in food paradise. It did up being expensive as we expected for all this service.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

I went to Grimpa twice this month (December 2012). On my first visit, I went with about 4 of my co-workers to see if it would be suitable for our department's holiday luncheon. From the 7 a-la-carte items on their menu, I selected the prime sirloin with sides of fried banana and steamed vegetables. My co-workers and I all agreed that the steaks in particular were very good. However, the service was average and the overall time it took from the time we sat down to the time we received our bill, seemed a bit long for a lunch restaurant in a business district (Downtown Miami).

Being satisfied with the quality of the food, we proceeded with making the reservation for 30 to accommodate our holiday luncheon and confirmed that our group would be able to order from the menu. This was followed up with e-mail communications confirming the same. However, when our group arrived for the scheduled luncheon, we were met with an entirely different story. We were the only people in the restaurant around (11:45) as we were seated at about 7 different tables in one corner of the restaurant. We were offered water, but we were not given any menus. When a few people in our group began asking to see a menu, they were informed that there was no menu (despite the fact that there was one clearly posted on a sign in front of the restaurant). We were told that we could either proceed to the buffet salad bar ($18.95 + 18% gratuity) or we could order their rodizio ($32.50 + 18% gratuity). For the next 40 minutes it was sheer confusion as the manager, the servers, and the hostess gave conflicting responses regarding whether and why the 5 people in our group who wanted to order from the menu could not do so. One would say we could and we were finally given menus, but then when we tried on multiple occasions to give our orders to the servers they either responded that they were still trying to find out if they could take our orders or they just flat out refused to take them and walked away from the table. This was all going on as other parties were arriving in the restaurant and being served items from the same menu we were being told they could not serve us from. Although there were only a few of us that wanted to order food from the menu, it Grimpa's assertion that their kitchen could not accommodate serving a group our size from their 7-item menu. If this has always been their policy, you would think that they would mention something like that in advance when someone makes a reservation for 30 people, no? Multiple requests to speak to the manager directly apparently fell on deaf ears as s/he refused to speak with any of us. At one point, I even asked if they would serve me from the menu if I left my group and sat at one of the other tables where they were serving people from the menu. Their response was, "I don't know."

When it finally became clear amidst all the rudeness, confusion, and conflicting responses that they did not intend to take our orders, a few of us left and went to eat at another restaurant nearby. Personally, I refused to give them the satisfaction of being rude AND pocketing my money. This was by far the worst customer service experience I've ever had at a restaurant. I will not be back and I would not recommend it to anyone, especially for a group reservation.

2  Thank jbesq24
Reviewed 20 December 2012

These people are RUDE, disorganized, inconsiderate etc. My office made a reservation for 30 people to have a holiday luncheon there. Keep in mind this is a steakhouse. We get to the location and they tell us that we cannot order off of the menu, we must eat at the buffet only. The problem is the buffet did not consist of any steak and mostly included salad. They did not tell us that we were not going to be able to eat filet mignon or any steak before hand. I asked to speak to the manager and he told me that "the kitchen cannot accommodate 30 people ordering from the menu". Keep in mind also that at this point, we are the only 30 people in the restaurant. I told him "how does your restaurant operate when it is full?" He never answered me. I told him if I walked from off of the street and asked for a menu (their menus were outside in various spots in Brickell by the way) would you server me? He said "I am not sure." I said "Anyone can come in from off of the street and order whatever they want. Why are you being prejudice towards my group?" The manager never answered me. When I asked to speak to the General Manager, they said that she was in a meeting and could not speak with me. Naturally, I left. Please do not eat at this place.

As a side note, their bathroom was absolutely filthy and there was low pressure in the pipes. They should be ashamed of themselves being in Brickell.

2  Thank Shara34227
Reviewed 20 December 2012

For a place that has meals in a certain price range, service adds value. Therefore, customer service is essential. In the event of a mistake caused by the restaurant's caterer, the customer ought not to bear the brunt of the restaurant's mistake.

Rude. Obnoxious. Ultimatim issuing. Perhaps even prejudiced.

We're not talking about 1, 2, or even 6 people. We're talking about a crowd of 25. Not a wise choice to be rude enough to tick off that many people. General manager was hiding and wouldn't come out and speak to anyone. Take it or leave it.

I will go ahead and leave it everytime. Heed my warnings. STAY AWAY!

3  Thank Woody C
Reviewed 11 October 2012

if you have too much from the salad and hot bar you will never be able to enjoy the "all you can devour" meat presentations. It was absolutely wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the settings.