“Old stale and tasteless”
Review of Gilbert's Bakery

Gilbert's Bakery
Ranked #75 of 90 Bakeries in Miami
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: Our family's baking tradition began in 1928 in Camaguey, Cuba as a husband and wife operation. They baked family recipes and peddled them around the town's train station. As the family grew, so did their success. Under the leadership of their oldest son, they traveled to the United States and Europe bringing products and techniques from abroad. In 1962 their enterprise, now distributing across the entire island, was confiscated by the Castro regime. Seeing that they were stripped, not only of their business, but also of their most basic freedom, they fled Cuba for the United States of America. Starting from the ground up, again proved well worth it for the family. The oldest son, now a Cuban-American entrepreneur, was busy rebuilding his bakery in the United States. Meanwhile, his son-in-law, Gilberto Arriaza was learning traditional American, Jewish, German, Austrian and Italian product lines from some of the best old-fashioned bakers in Miami. Years later, Gilberto and family worked together to make their Cuban bakery flourish in Little Havana and the Miami Latin community. After his father-in-law's death, Gilberto went on his own, uniting his knowledge of the Latin community with his vast experience of European pastries. In 1976, Gilbert's Bakery was inaugurated as one fifth the size of today's Douglas location. Capitalizing on the ethnic and operational experience gained in his previous work and driving forward with an extremely creative and open zest for food, Gilbert's soon became known for quality, presentation and creativity. This remains the cornerstone of Gilbert's Bakery today. The next generation is now involved and positively contributing to the history we will be writing tomorrow.
Florida, United States
“Old stale and tasteless”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Visited Miami and visited a few bakeries best was Sweetness and worse was Gilbert's.
A showcase full of desserts is all good but stale and horrible is just absolutely disappointing.

Surprised they are still in business.
All sickly sweet no flavor dry old cakes.
Don't waste your time or money.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Karen B
Gilbertsbakery, Owner at Gilbert's Bakery, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thanks for your review. I am disappointed that we left a bad impression on you. I would love to be able to discuss your experience so that we can try to make it better and take the necessary corrective action. Please email us at gilbertsbakery@aol.com or provide feedback using our website at gilberts bakery.com

Bellmore, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rancid sandwich at Gilberts Miami airport”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Gilberts food bar at Miami Airport at the H-J connector.
I Purchased 3 sandiches (2 tuna, 1 cheese) in brown cardboard containers for our flight.
When I went to take out the sandich, the top piece of bread was hard and stale. Since I was starving on our flight home, I reached down to pick up the sandwich. It was soggy wet, through and through.
I tried picking up the sandwich and took a bite. It tasted "RANCID" sour....
O K lets try the other sandwich. Same results with all three. These products must have been sitting on the shelf for perhaps a week.
I e-mailed and called "Gilbert" the owner. No response.
When you see Gilberts, pass 'em by.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank jerry7junk
Thanks for your review. Although I am saddened by the experience you had, I am happy that we am now aware. We have only recently become active on Social Media and just today reviewed Trip Advisor. I would love to reach out to you to find out more about your experience so that we can try to pick up the pieces with you and to learn how we can make the necessary changes to keep this from happening. Please email us at gilbertsbakery@aol.com or provide feedback on our website at gilbertsbakery.com
Orlando, Florida
“Jewels in the form of Pastry-”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The cases are full of the most beautiful pastries of all kinds. Exquisitely tasting, a treat for the palate. Hard to make a choice, wanted one of each! Had the best Cafe con Leche in years! The service was perfect, order was exactly as we asked for, such nice ladies ready to help. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited December 2013
Thanks for your review. We work very hard at making it that nice and that good!
Weston, Florida
“Keep Going Back”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My friends from Hialeah originally introduced me to Gilberts and I am hooked. I am addicted to the ham pastelitos which balance the sweet and savory very well. The fruit pastelitos are a real treat and I always pack up a box to take back to Tampa.

The pastries are traditional with lots a layers tot he dough and large sugar crystals, but not overly sweet. At mere $.50 each, they are a bargain. If you need a large assortment of pastries, plan to get there early in the morning. By 10 am, there is not much left. There are all sorts of other treats and bakery offerings, but the pastelitos are the real deal and make the effort worthwhile.

If you are a tourist and have never had a pastelito, go to Gilberts and see what the fuss is all about.

• Visited October 2013
Thanks for your review. We hope to see you again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Quick and good”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Lunch was a Serrano ham sandwich with cheese with was perfectly heated and served on wonderful rosemary bread. The cannoli was tasty and definitely not on my diet. The speed of service was great and next time in Miami I'm coming back.

Visited June 2013
Thank you. w
We hope to see you back really soon