“Attitude” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Philippe - Miami - CLOSED

Philippe - Miami
Price range: US$15 - US$100
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 23rd Street
Transit: Bus stops at 23rd Street and Collins Ave.
Description: Philippe Chow of New York's famed Mr. Chow now opened Philippe Miami located at 2305 Collins Ave. @ the Gansevoort South Hotel. Formerly the renowned chef of Mr. Chow, Philippe has at last decided after 27 years to start anew. Philippe will bring his culinary expertise & worldly experience from his beginnings in Hong Kong to his unique restaurant. He has been noted as one of the top Asian culinary masterminds of our time.
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I'd like to start by saying that I've eaten here twice before and both were great. The vibe, food and service.

This time however was terrible.

Service was impersonal; Starting with the Manager as we checked in. Last time I ate here I assumed it was just a bad day but he was arrogant, self important and doesn't have an ounce of charisma.

Bar drinks were nice and bartender suggested his favorites.

Table server was more concerned if our 4th person was going to show up than checking on our table, satisfaction or quality of food. It felt like a production line and we were just a number. He barely stopped by except when I asked for the check and he was back in seconds to grab my cc once I put it in the folder.

Chicken/mushroom shumai were great.

Pork BBQ ribs were rubbery and tough. We ate one of 8 and the server just took them and when I said "the ribs weren't tender so we didn't eat them" he responded with, "people usually love them but didn't offer to take them off the bill.

The sweet and sour chicken was tasty.

I always come back for the Peking duck and that is always great, it was this time too. But, I will find somewhere else for it from now on because of the reasons I've mentioned.

I think the Philippe Staff's complacency and lack of attention is why this 3rd time be my last and why Philippe on Saturday at 9pm was half full...a stark contrast to my first two visits when the place was jamming, packed and food was delicious.

Visited September 2011

“Skip it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

I started off with a dirty glass for my beer. Not a good first impression. Duck spring rolls and crunchy duck rolls were good. I couldn't find my shrimp in the shrimp lettuce wraps. My friend liked her midnight mojito. Lots of wait staff but service was so so. Had to order a side of veggies 3 times. They brought veggie fried rice two times.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Supercalifragilist
NYC
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

They have the best Chinese food ever.
A bit pricy but the service and food is outstanding.

Chicken satay is better than Mr. Chows.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“The most flavorless, expensive horrible meal I've had in six weeks.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Every dish had absolutely no taste. The soup dumplings had no soup in them. By far the worst sate ever. Chicken undercooked and barely a peanut flavor to the Sauce. We ordered a whole Peking duck, which they carve in front of you, serve a third of it and take the rest away. Presumably to use for other people's duck dishes. The fillet was well cooked. The servers were directing and recommending only the highest priced dishes and wines. Save your money!

1 Thank barneyjake
boca raton
“Return of the STUPID...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

How stupid are we for going back? Terribly stupid.
The first bad experience with Philippe happened a few years ago when we "dined" with them at the Gansevoort Miami Beach Hotel. Small, over-sugared, flat flavored, thick sauced overpriced, low quality dishes filled our table. The only truly memorable item was the fried seaweed dish which simply could have been tissue paper coated with sugar and salt. Nothing on our table or in our glasses prepared us for the bill which wreaked of an upcharge of $100 for water. Really? We hadn't even ordered still water--we were never asked and certainly, though we were a big group, we hadn't seen 10 bottles of $10 water opened in front of us. Twenty minutes with the manager and the bill wasn't adjusted. Outrageous. So we vowed never to return. (Note: Never say "never.") Here's strike two...
Last night we were planning to eat Joe's Stone Crab, but a 2 hour wait sent us in search of an alternative. We stumbled upon Philippe with no wait to be seated. Bad choice. Perhaps empty stomaches led us to overstep the do not cross line in the sand - we did it - we returned. We ordered won ton soup (lame), hot and sour soup, fried sea weed (same as before - okay but not enough to justify the experience), Peking Chicken ($45 for bland scraps of meat; even Costco chicken would have been a better choice), a flat noodle dish (greasy-flat flavored), a tofu dish (overly thickened sauce; no depth), and fried rice (no flavor--just greasy). The repeat performance of low-quality and high-priced food was only made more interesting by the service. Catch this - a dish was placed in front of my brother. He helped himself to a serving and then the waiter interfered - we were mistakenly served the neighboring table's dish! The waiter actually instructed my brother to put it back! Really? "Yes." And so the helping was returned to the dish and THE WAITER RE-SERVED THE FOOD TO THE NEIGHBORING TABLE after whispering "no one saw." It was so outrageous that we simply decided to honor the experience by taking the time to report it publicly. Last time we were up-charged $100 for water we didn't order and the management failed to "make right" - telling management about the current episode wasn't expected to have any efficacy on our experience or the experience of others. The place is a joke. We were stupid to fall for it twice. Be forewarned. Use your $200 to buy a plane ticket elsewhere for a decent chinese meal. Save your money, time, calories, and patience for a place worth supporting.

• Visited February 2012