“Good Location!”

Ranked #50 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Houston, Texas
“Good Location!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The pictures provided by the hotel looks nice but the reality were an older building, average room and restaurant.We stayed in room 320. The room is clean, quiet and good location in South Beach.There is no safety deposit box in the room.

The restaurant is nothing to write home about. It's not a truly Japanese Sushi restaurant. It's more like fusion Japanese food with a nice presentation on your plates.

The happy hour is from 4:30 - 5:30pm (mon-fri) with free wine and local beer in the lobby for 1 hour. They clock it and shut down by 5:30pm.

I hesitated to give it as a 4 (very good) hotel but I also feel bad that I give them a 3 (average)..... And I just did!

1 Thank Boeing747-8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Grand Cayman
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Essex House Hotel for 4 nights. It was in a great location - just around the corner from the South Beach bars and restaurants, a two minute walk to the beach and a five minute walk to some great shops.
This is a very busy spot but the Essex House Hotel is a bit more quiet compared to the beach facing hotels. If you prefer to get away from the noise then this is perfect.
The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and modern. The only downside is that the bathrooms are very small and there is a lack of storage. There was only one small wardrobe and no drawers. Not a problem if it's a short visit.
We would recommend this hotel and would use it again if we were to return.

2 Thank LG30
Longmeadow, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Went with my daughter for our annual trip together. Each year she picks where we will go, and this year it was Miami. I wanted her to see the beach scene, but I also wanted to be able to get away from it at the end of the day, and the Essex House was perfect. Great location, very friendly staff, and nice, clean rooms. We stayed in one of the courtyard suites, and it was perfect. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Josh K
United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This was my second visit to Miami and so I suggested Essex House because I thought it was a good location just off Ocean Drive and behind the Clevlander bar.
September was much quieter in general than when I last visited in the April time and so the hotel was extremely quiet.
The rooms are basic and there is no hotel safe! The rooms also smell quite damp and musky. I know it is an older style deco hotel but they need to do some work in the rooms to get rid of this.
Breakfast is very ample and included. I would also highly recommend the Japanese restaurant downstairs where we had a fantastic meal.
I think if you want to be on Ocean Drive in a good location then you should opt for this but there is no hotel beach access and the pool is shaded so I would call this a party hotel in season!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
British Columbia
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Only stayed for one night (post-cruise) but wish it had been longer! The room was small, but immaculately clean and tastefully decorated. Service at the front desk was exceptional - all staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Loved the location and will definitely return for a longer stay.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed for two nights this week and had an absolute blast. Julianna (I hope that's how her name is spelled) ensured that my boyfriend and I were comfortable and even upgraded our room to the King Suite because it was his birthday. The room was clean, beautiful, spacious, quiet, and comfortable. Customer service was amazing all around and we had no complaints whatsoever. The fact that they're connected to the Clevelander is another bonus and we were able to access the property at any time. Sitting in the lobby, I saw how the whole staff worked diligently to ensure customer satisfaction! I've stayed at over 7 different hotels in South Beach and this was definitely the best by far! Can't wait to return for my birthday!!

Room Tip: King Suite is the way to go!
Arroyo Grande, California
Reviewed 13 October 2013

If you want to be close to the action but not right on top of it then this is the place for you. Located between Ocean Blvd with all the hustle and bustle and Washington and it's shops is Collins. Walking distance to everything one needs. Hotel is a wonderful Art Deco restoration with outstanding customer service. From the moment the cab dropped us off we were welcomed with smiles and a desire to make our stay an enjoyable experience. From the breakfast in the morning to the happy hour we were completely surprised on how nice everything was prepared. We were upgraded to a suite, which for the price we were paying was an excellent value, and the room was beyond our expectations. Huge with a nice layout of furniture and decore, the surprise was the huge jacuzzi tub. Overall a great experience and would recommend the Essex House to anyone visiting South Beach.

1 Thank DonaldJase